It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland ice loss 'accelerating'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

"Over the last 10 years, it's quite simple; warming over Greenland has caused the melting to increase, and that's set off this albedo feedback process," he told BBC News.

Grace's twin satellites map gravity at the Earth's surface in unprecedented detail; and it is now possible to tease out from the data that most of the mass is being lost in the southeast, southwest and northwest at low elevations where the air will generally be warmer than at high altitudes.

While I don't believe this is due to man or even a calamity I post this in the interest of being fair and showing both sides of the arguement

[edit on 13-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Thanks for this. The whole solar system is warming up. So all the planets are warming up, and the ice melting in Greenland is a very good example.
There are other mysteries as well. I know this image has been posted in the past, but nobody ever had an explanation about it.

That's in the middle of Greenland and frankly, i am baffled by this picture...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

Wow,I never saw that before.Any more info? looks like a vault or time capsule(probably wishful thinking)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Google Earth : 70¤ 21' 55.83" N 39¤ 51' 50.23" W
The visible part of the object is 53 miles long by 12 miles...
Amazing if you ask me!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That's in the middle of Greenland and frankly, i am baffled by this picture...

You dont seriously think there is some gigantic object there, and noone has bothered to say anything?

It's an artifact from the method used to compile the images on Google Earth. Ever see what happens to white surfaces when you hit them with acutely angled sunlight? They reflect red-orange light. This is a strip taken at a different time of day, that's all.

The pictures are taken at different times of the year, under different conditions. In some areas, you can see chunks of different weather. All these pictures are compiled to form one big complete map, based on the coordinates given with the original satellite data.

[edit on 13/11/2009 by Daniem]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese
reply to post by genius/idoit

Google Earth : 70¤ 21' 55.83" N 39¤ 51' 50.23" W
The visible part of the object is 53 miles long by 12 miles...
Amazing if you ask me!

What?? That is a pretty huge object, Can you see it in other global picture sites?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Thanks for the explanation. I really did not have a clue, but you've shed some light into my questions.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I heard that some where but didn't know they could look like that.I can see trim around the edges.
Weird

top topics

join