It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Cold may Hold off Swine Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Common Cold may hold of Swine Flu

A VIRUS that causes the common cold may be saving people from swine flu. If this intriguing idea turns out to be true, it would explain why swine flu's autumn wave has been slow to take off in some countries and point to new ways to fight flu. "It is really surprising that there has not been more pandemic flu activity in many European countries," says Arnold Monto, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

I guess the day has come when, in the end, I might be thankful for contracting a cold.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
That's kind of funny considering that the severity of the swine flu is just like a common cold for most.
Let the winter come.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well i came down with something as i had a pineapple bark for a throat and on and off sweats. noticed the sore throat on monday but became the killer on thursday morning. Went and brought some throat spray to numb the pain...it didnt work whatsoever ..nearly emptied the 15ml of liguid within 3 hrs trying to numb the pain...yes i read the safety guidelines but i was in too much pain i didnt care..In the end i took some painkillers and what a relief. Now it is slowly going away and i dont want that again tyvm....btw it was weird that only my left tonsil was inflamed and not both of them...
Whether or not that was swine flu or the common cold i cant really say coz i didnt see the doc nor did i get flu or cold like symptons like a bunged up nose etc. But if it was the swine flu ...well i dont need no damn vaccination now do I

[edit on 12-11-2009 by loner007]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

I guess you don't!
Sounds pretty horrible. I get very annoyed by the flu and cold. Usually I'm not sick enough to stay home from work, but I'm sick enough to feel incredibly uncomfortable for a couple of weeks. The runny or stuffed nose, scratchy throat, losing my voice, occasional fever,... it's pure hell. I've been stuffing myself with all sorts of fruit as much as possible. Hopefully it helps.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Ya know, either I whooped the crap out of the swine flu, or I never had it... I got sick at about the same time several other co workers did. They got tested and said they had swine flu, It was a terrible illness for them, but for me was not much worse than a deep cold. Its overrated.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Some people seem to feel it more than others. I'm sure there are many variables. Good that you came out of it so quickly!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I always seem to get a bit of a cold in the autumn/early winter ........ but never get 'flu or indeed any other serious illness. I've often wondered if that cold just gives my immune system the little boost it needs to fight off bigger viruses.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

We don't get the flu every year in my house. I got the stomach bug last November, but no flu at all. Several of my old employees got a nasty flu where they couldn't walk at all. I always get a cold though, but it lasts a day or two for me, a week for my kids, and my husband a day. The last time we all got the flu was in 2005 and it did last a month. I got conjunctivitis, and larygitis, no flu, my husband got the flu and bronchitis, my three kids all ha the flu. We were all miserable, but we came out of it. I think we'll be okay, none of us has ever gotten the flu shot.

top topics

join