It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast cut me off!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I just contacted my ISP (Comcast...the only provider available where i live...thats right, there is NO DSL in my area...only comcast cable internet)

The last few days ive noticed that my internet has been terribly slow - so i called them about it.

Their reasoning is that they have cut my allotted bandwidth because i have been using "too much"

when i asked how much i used, the lady told me it was confidential and she could not reveal it.

I play video games.
More pointedly - Xbox games - and i visit ATS

thats all i do.

$60 a month, and comcast does this to *ME*

why is it that i live in a world where there is absolutely nothing i can do about this short of going crazy and becoming tomorrows headline?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Mmm that's strange ...

I'm on a comcast modem in DC, I use a boatload of bandwidth downloading appletv content, directv on demand, plus internet stuff all day, and I have yet to hear a peep from them.

Are you sure no one is hacking on to your network?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

well, there could be someoen soaking up my bandwidth and thats why comcast cut me off....but i used a secured network...not really sure how to prevent or detect if there was someone

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I'm not sure what to tell you Snarf.

Are you completely cut off or did they just limit your bandwidth?

Btw, I'm on a mac, but there are utilities for pcs like Net Meter which tally your monthly bw usage so you can export it to your isp.

At the very least you can reconcile your number with the maximum allotted under your user agreement.

Of course all of this is moot if they've already kicked you.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

no, not entirely cut off - just crippled a bit.

Makes playing video games near impossible....

i just think its total bull crap that they have the nerve to do this.

at 60 dollars a month i should have access to unlimited bandwidth.

I really hope DSL pops up here soon. I can't wait to do away with the cable companies all together

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

You don't want that either. The only thing keeping the telcos from eating your lunch is the availability of an alternative provider like cable. Most problems occur in areas where there is no viable alternative. If you only had DSL available, you'd be just as frustrated with them. I don't count satellite and national wireless "broadband" as viable alternatives to DSL or cable, although in some areas, fairly decent wireless broadband is available from a local ISP.

I'd check your user agreement. I'd think they would be compelled to share any information with you that causes them to choke your bandwidth. That "confidential" crap isn't acceptable.

At this point, I think you ought to consider contacting your local Public Service Commission/Utilities Commission whatever it's called there. File a complaint. Believe me, that will get their attention.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

At this point, I think you ought to consider contacting your local Public Service Commission/Utilities Commission whatever it's called there. File a complaint. Believe me, that will get their attention.

that's a good idea.
I'll get on that today after work.
If it doesnt work - i guess im bringing my xbox to the office daily

top topics

join