It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook status [and video confirmation] update provides alibi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Facebook status [and video confirmation] update provides alibi

www.cnn.com

For 19-year-old Rodney Bradford, a simple Facebook status update turned into much more: a rock-solid alibi after he was accused of a crime.

The online social network is ready to join telephone records and video cameras as a means of establishing an alibi -- but the implications are both good and bad, says an intellectual property attorney versed in the medium.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Rodney Bradford was held for two weeks after being charged with armed robbery. It wasn't until that time that his father noticed he had made a facebook entry while, apparently, at his dad's house.

So was Facebook already monitoring and recording this guy's video feed? Looks that way, can't imagine they'd accept someone's word that he had his dad update his account or something.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

As a side note, I used to work for a major computer company. EVERY employee receives a small cover to go over the laptop video lens. Those things are hackable by ANY website you have ever gone to; anyone who has your IP address! Anyone with Unix/Linux can hack any camera out there without knowledge by the recipient.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I read about this earlier on a site i would rather not mention as it makes me seem dumber than I am. Either way, this does sound interesting that this guy, "Talking on the phone with a fattie wondering where his IHOP is" does strike me as interesting. He may have escaped jail but now all his friends know he is a chubby chaser.

*Disclaimer (There is nothing wrong with going after larger chicks, if that is your thing more power to you for not accepting what our society thinks is beautiful but we all know is anorexic barbie dolls.)

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'd hate to be locked up for two weeks when not guilty - wonder if they said "sorry"?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Lucky for him, but strange in a certain way. Asume you want to commit a crime. You just have to install a little software who updates your facebook while doing dirty stuff. Voilà Alibi

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by piett
Lucky for him, but strange in a certain way. Asume you want to commit a crime. You just have to install a little software who updates your facebook while doing dirty stuff. Voilà Alibi

Most criminals know that there is always someone who can figure it out. Many of those are in prison.

In this case I'm sure the prosecutor didn't simply throw up his hands and say; "Oh well, THAT's different, move to adjourn...." If he had the means and opportunity to fake it, they would surely have looked for the evidence to say so.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Just wait until somebody writes a macro or bot to post status's or updates if they haven't already.

Ill just set my alibi for 2:00 am today I feel.. ho hum.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The article implied this was just confirmation of previously said events.

The scary part to me is that they may have saved video coverage of this guy, likely from his own webcam!

top topics

join