It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Independence Day Sequels Planned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From MovieWeb & MTV Movie Blog:

While director Roland Emmerich's new film 2012 is set to hit theaters this weekend, the filmmaker revealed he plans to revisit his monstrous 4th of July film, possibly in two new movies. MTV Movies Blog recently spoke with Emmerich who revealed he wants to make two sequels to his 1996 blockbuster Independence Day.

"What we want to do in the next - it's actually two movies - we want to do a bigger arc," he explained. "Independence Day was always like the king who leads his troops into battle against an evil force, and that stays like that."

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Fairly certain there are some chomping at the bit to come in here and tell us how some ubber-secret evil cabal is using this as a means to condition us for disclosure. They say that EVERY TIME something alien related is used for entertainment purposes.

Perhaps we need to have a lesson in capitalism around here.

I enjoyed the first one, best way to describe it is "stupid fun", you know the kind of movie where you can just switch of your brain and enjoy. Roland has made some real crappy movies as of late, I wish they were being done with another director.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Oh yay! I loved the first movie. Not counting all the negative aspects, the destructions are the best scenes in it. I would love to see more. Sadly, everything is CGI nowadays
. In fact, I believe that Independence Day was one of the last movies that didn't use CGI for the destruction scenes. Give me a movie where things get blown up and I should be content until it ends.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Roland Emmerich is a master filmmaker....

if you like crap and all things crap related.

Independence Day, as the OP said, is on intellectual level of The Teletubbies.

The Day After Tomorrow was cruel and unusual

Eight Legged Freaks.... what?!

I think the only decent thing he has ever given us is the Patriot.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Ignore I always enjoy your replies. Keep up the good work.

Anyway back on topic, I wish they would make a flick from The Forge of God
the book that inspired Independence Day. Yeah it's just to create a "fashion" of sorts. Another cash register to ring when the Vampire thing gets old.
Capitalism at it's best!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The Forge of God - great book!

And yes, I like the practical effects they used in Independence Day. But going the way this director is going your lucky to even see real actors in the sequels, lol.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

I asked the man in blockbusters once "Is this movie any good” (Not Independence day) He replied “If you take it for what it is, just a movie you'll enjoy it"

Independence Day was/is a great movie, what’s not to like about it?

gl2

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
We need films that show aliens as they really are: SMARTER than humans, flawed, but more civilized, generally, and usually subtle. Such films need to show aliens as telepathic, having psychotronic systems, and f.t.l. or faster than light travel technology.

In the past, human discussions about aliens were framed in terms of human precepts rather than the broader, more diverse concepts of alien societies. People erroneously assumed that aliens were bound by a
non-interference directive like that of the Star Trek television series. Fictional aliens were portrayed with human-like features, and aliens were expected to either be monsters, or naïve and harmless. They were given very human attributes. Meanwhile, in real-life encounters, an inability to see aliens as they really are has been a major handicap. It has biased and contaminated the human analysis of aliens.

Rather than compare different aliens from different places, human discussions implicitly compared aliens to humans, instead. Suspected of having human-like intentions, aliens were treated first and foremost as a military threat rather than scientific, anthropological curiosities. A basic defense perspective was unavoidable but was allowed to displace scientific analysis to the extent that the US military misinformed the public by denying that aliens existed, then the CIA spread false, exaggerated stories intended to prevent the public from developing a reliable analysis. Human study of aliens was stultified and prone to error, as a result.

So it's time that film got up to speed: realistic, highly intelligent aliens on a level ABOVE human, for the most part, not less than us.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent-ATS
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Independence Day was/is a great movie, what’s not to like about it?

I agree it was a great movie! I wasn't watching it for intellectual stimulation, but for entertainment, and like fleetlord said, watching stuff blow up is entertaining (perhaps less so if it's CGI though).

Plus it's a good reminder that we have no idea if aliens we encounter will be benevolent, evil, or something else, whether they come here or we go there.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
I think the only decent thing he has ever given us is the Patriot.

Which should really have been called "American Braveheart - This time it's mediocre"

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Gag...

ID4, what a load of garbage that was. Hollywood scripted with extra cheese on top. Yuck.

The whole world waiting for the USA brainstrust to come up with something to fight the aliens... yuck.

"Welcome to Earth" was the only moment in that movie worth watching.

Spare us all and tear up the script, delete the files and purge the thought.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Maybe the aliens bring their super weapon this time: Symantec

I'll pass on anything with Emmerich's name attached to it...I've had enough of his teenage style scripts dressed up in CGI.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Sometimes cheese can be good. Paxton's presidential speech was pretty decent, and the geek's dad commenting on $400 hammers was priceless....

Of course, there were plot holes you could drive a truck through, but c'mon, you have to take it for what it is... Personally, if I see a bunch of motherships hovering over major cities, I'm headin' for the hills...

We need films that show aliens as they really are: SMARTER than humans, flawed, but more civilized, generally, and usually subtle. Such films need to show aliens as telepathic, having psychotronic systems, and f.t.l. or faster than light travel technology.

Where's the fun or conflict in that? (unless we, as humans, play the bad guys)... Great idea, bad movie. There are some that fall into the category though...Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Cocoon, E.T., etc.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EclipseReloaded

as long as they both star Will Smith, and make an appearance with Jeff Goldblum (or is it Goldbloom?) i will be a huge fan and go see them both

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Independance Day was awesome!!!

Any movie with the White House getting blown up in it gets my vote!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'll be seeing it, as long as the previews don't make it look like crap.

The special effects should be awesome. They did a good job with them even back then. Can't wait to see what they do now.

I hope Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are in this one. They were the main pieces of the first one, and since it has been so long since the first one and everyone has seen the original so many times, the sequel may not work without them.

Or maybe they'll take it a whole different direction and they won't be needed. I don't know.

We'll see!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Christ just when you think Hollywood has hit rock bottom. This is a terrible idea. Hollywood needs to stop making crappy sequels and rehashing old ideas. Flush this one down the toilet to join the first one.

brill

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Independence Day II: Rise of McAffee....

The remaining alien task force returns to Earth, armed with an antivirus program. Humanity has lost all hope....

new topics

top topics

join