It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assistance Required to Help Examine US Government's Federal Spy Documents - Post any Observations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hi Guys and Gals, I found this on Wired.com and I thought it is right up ATS's alley!

We’re putting together a story about the behind-the-scenes negotiations that led to 2008 legislation immunizing the nation’s telecommunication companies from liability for assisting the government’s warrantless dragnet program — the hijacking of Americans’ electronic communications.

Threat Level wants your assistance.

Now this is a massively important issue, for any internet user, or citizen of the US, and the world!

Background story:

EFF Obtains Records from Behind-the-Scenes Negotiations on Telecom Immunity

San Francisco, CA - Today the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) posted thousands of pages of records detailing behind-the-scenes negotiations between government agencies and Congress about providing immunity for telecoms involved in illegal government surveillance.

The documents include drafts of legislation and communications between Congress and the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) about amendments to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). They were released as a result of litigation that started back in 2007, when Congress first debated granting immunity to the telecommunications companies for taking part in massive, unchecked surveillance of Americans' telephone and Internet communications. EFF used the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to request information about communications between the DOJ, ODNI, Congress, and telecom lobbyists.

"The government has finally given up its battle to hide this information from the public and has released a significant portion of the records we've been fighting for," said EFF Staff Attorney Marcia Hofmann. "We hope that these files include some answers about what happened when the DOJ and ODNI pushed Congress to pass the law getting telecoms off the hook for their role in illegal government surveillance."

So any ATSers who would like to...

Take a look at the immunity negotiation documents and, in the comments section, report your findings. Be sure to link to the appropriate record, or note the name of the document and its page number in your PDF reader.

Or if it's something very sensational, how about posting it on ATS??

Here is a link to the PDFs.

Good luck!

Kiwifoot!

[edit on 12-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
the amount of reactions, stars and flags here shows where this site is going to.

they rather spend time at the Robbie Williams topic it seems.

I will make some time this weekend to look into this, a lot of info to spit through so be patient.

Thanks for posting this, Starred and Flagged.

Now wake up ATS, this is more important!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
the amount of reactions, stars and flags here shows where this site is going to.

they rather spend time at the Robbie Williams topic it seems.

I will make some time this weekend to look into this, a lot of info to spit through so be patient.

Thanks for posting this, Starred and Flagged.

Now wake up ATS, this is more important!!!

Haha, I guess it was the title!

Or peeps had better things to do, but thanks for your reply.

I like you will be going over them this weekend, I'll U2U you mate if I find anything of interest.

Thanks again!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I uploaded all files into a single zip file for easier downloading.

here is the link.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I uploaded all files into a single zip file for easier downloading.

here is the link.

Mate, seriously good work, as I said in my U2U, will save it then start on it tomorrow, have you been looking in any particular order?

Hopefull some other members will get on board too, we can post anything odd here, or if it's massive a new thread can be made by whoever finds it!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

awesome find man s and f....unfortunately not that many people care about things other than movie stars, american idol, and throwing up to be skinny, so it takes a few watchdogs to sniff out gov wrongdoings. ill begin looking through this doc tomorrow hope i can help out some...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chrisd250

No worries, I'm downloading the file as I type, i'll try and get my butt into gear!

Maybe, slowly this may get out and a few US members will get involved, just as the PDFs all relate to US agencies etc and they may be a bit more knowledgeable!

All the best!

new topics

top topics

join