Indefensible: MoD penpushers pocket £300m as British soldiers die in Afghanistan for lack of equipm

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Ministry of Defence bureaucrats have pocketed nearly £300million in bonuses while soldiers have been dying from lack of equipment.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

From Source

In one shocking example, two mandarins collected bonuses of £17,000 each - more than a year's basic pay for a squaddie in Helmand.
But on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers have accused the Government of putting lives at risk by scrimping on military essentials including helicopters, radios and night goggles.
MPs, soldiers' families and campaign groups condemned the 'scandalous' waste of money.

They said it could have been used to refit six Chinook troop carrying helicopters, desperately needed in Afghanistan, which have been confined to their hangers since 2001 after a massive MoD contract blunder.
It could also have paid for some 1,800 new Army recruits.
Warning: Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Thorneloe said UK troops would die because they were not travelling by air
The MoD admits that £287million has been paid in bonuses since Britain went to war in Iraq.

Last year, its bureaucrats pocketed £52.9million and in the first six months of 2009/10 they collected another £47.2million.

Senior officials shared £1.5million, averaging £8,000 each. Junior staff took home an extra £775

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I am disgusted and didnt even realise they got bonuses, I worked with the Military in Scotland for the last 2 years and whitnessed families getting into debt to buy their young sons proper boots, bags and body armor before they went to Iraq and Afghanistan. This government disgusts me and while they slam the bankers for bonuses they are paying desk jokeys that do very little 300 million just for doing their jobs

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Just another case load of BS from government to inspire the people of Britain.
How do they get away with it?

CX

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Has always happened, will always happen too.

I remember buying my own kit in South Armagh because the issue stuff was crap for what we were doing. One day the scientific advisor for the gerneral in charge of troops in N.I came down to assess the need for a new high tech mortar early warning system.

This guy's job was to sit behind a desk all day, and make the odd trip out, yet he had all the latest gear on that us soldiers were expecting to get a few years from then. It was sickening, but not unexpected.

Even the military top brass aren't much different, the amount they used to get for "entertaining" was equal to half of an average soldiers pay.

CX.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
If your government keeps failing you, you protest. If your protesting fails, you move out.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Easier said than done to be honest, a lot of my family are in their 80`s and in ill health so emigrating is not an option at the moment. The government makes me sick, browns comments last week about putting our countrymen in harms way is a joke, his decisions and his cabinets decisions are. Our troops are worn out, given little support when they return for mental health issues and when they are there have equipment which is below par and every bullet fired has to be accounted for. I sold insurance to soldiers that had been threatned with the cost of lost gun during firefights. Is a terrible situation

CX

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I still say that every politician should be required to have a family member on the front line if they want to decide the fate of our troops.

I'm sure we'd suddenly see a rise in forces pay, equipment and care, and a reduction in the way we just waltz into every conflict going.

CX.

top topics

join