It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning up to an Earthquake with a dustpan and brush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
having just done all my recycling for the week, separating the rubbish into separate bins, I'm starting to believe my actions are like turning up at an earthquake with a dustpan and brush and a very small one at that. I'm always trying to remember to turn off lights and appliances when I'm not using them. trying to do my bit. But when you hear China is Building a coal plant at a rate of one a week, one starts to believe their punitive efforts are of little worth.

Still I guess it's better to do something than nothing? I mean even if we are being conned by TPTB over climate change, steps to improve your environment can only be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I dont even bother, look at the state of China and we are expected not to use polly bags at ASDA and recyle our rubbish. Is just a money making lip service scheme and I do not comply. I know a few guy who work in the council and once the recycled rubbish quota is met the rest is dumped in the same landfill as the rest of the rubbish.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
While it's true that individual efforts to recycle are almost insignificant compared to the waste committed by China and the US and every other country, that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort.

For one thing, it's not much effort to save energy. Turn off lights. How hard is that? Walk instead of drive when possible. Better for your health anyway, since most of us need to exercise more. Plastic bags? Get a few cloth recyclable ones. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to spare some of the resources.

Why bother? Mainly for your own benefit. Lower electric bill, lower gasoline costs for those who drive, lower doctor bills (from walking). Being more attuned with the environment, even if others around you aren't doing their bit.

As for China - well, start to boycott Chinese-made goods. If ethical persuasion doesn't work (and it never has with governments and corporations), money always talks.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
While it's true that individual efforts to recycle are almost insignificant compared to the waste committed by China and the US and every other country, that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort.

For one thing, it's not much effort to save energy. Turn off lights. How hard is that? Walk instead of drive when possible. Better for your health anyway, since most of us need to exercise more. Plastic bags? Get a few cloth recyclable ones. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to spare some of the resources.

Why bother? Mainly for your own benefit. Lower electric bill, lower gasoline costs for those who drive, lower doctor bills (from walking). Being more attuned with the environment, even if others around you aren't doing their bit.

As for China - well, start to boycott Chinese-made goods. If ethical persuasion doesn't work (and it never has with governments and corporations), money always talks.

I agree, the benefits of doing these things can be reflected in saving money, enrgy and cleaning up our environment. and as I said before, it has to be better to do something rather than nothing. Im sure if everyone in the developed world, tried to save more energy and recycle more we would see a change for the good. You can't dispute it really.

top topics

join