It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple of anomalies in the Animal Kingdom, have you noticed more?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was recently watching a lovely doco on faux Fox, and it was about the Panda's and what is being done to increase their survival.
What was pointed out in this doco, sorry I cant remember its name, but if you really want it I will have a look for it. But I digress
Anyways, they have been experiencing a number of anomalies with regards to the breeding and the survival rate.
I personally was not aware that a lot of Panda's give birth to twins, but the survival rate is extremely low, as the mother generally can not take care of it. But again I digress

So the first thing that was noted in one of the Panda's was here age, she was , if I recall correctly, 14 years of age when she FIRST conceived, as apparently this is highly unusual, but what was even more unusual is that she was DOUBLE the gestation period for Panda's, that again from memory, was 369 days or there abouts.
Now on the news yesterday, there was a story that was running across the lower screen that a shark has given birth to 4 LIVE young. Now if you know your sharks, the young in their stomach are cannibalistic, that is that in nearly all cases, only one live is born.
The reason I posted this is because of all the news lately with regards to the discovery of new species, births that are fantastic and a few others I cant recall at the moment, well is NATURE fighting back?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Seeker

The reason I posted this is because of all the news lately with regards to the discovery of new species, births that are fantastic and a few others I cant recall at the moment, well is NATURE fighting back?

Fighting back?

You mean like a coordinated strike against humanity and our infrastructure?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I wonder whether it's just that we don't really know all that much about other animals, especially ones like sharks (hard to keep track of them, hard to survive hanging around with them), and pandas (shy and rare). If we've only observed a few of these creatures, we may be making generalizations that aren't valid. Maybe lots of sharks bear only one live young, but others bear more. Maybe some pandas have longer gestation periods, for some reason.

In other words, are these really anomalies, or are they unusual but normal exceptions to the general rule?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by The_Seeker

Fighting back?

You mean like a coordinated strike against humanity and our infrastructure?

HAHAHA @ Exhuberant

South Africa has dicoverd a new species of dinosaur a day or so ago

Some herbivore.

SA dino discovery

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Fighting back for their right to survival.

top topics

join