It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroes not what they used to be.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is a tricky thread to write so I'll keep it short.I mean no disrespect to the people or memories of those who died at fort hood.

What does it take to be a hero?
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

I don't understand this;

Obama Honors Fort Hood Victims as Heroes

In his first address during a time of national mourning, President Obama on Tuesday hailed the victims of the deadly Fort Hood shooting as heroes, saying "no words can fill the void that has been left."

www.foxnews.com...

Again I mean no disrespect but how are they heroes?
Because they got shot and killed?I don't know their military background so some might actually be heroes.But to classify them as heroes just because they were killed seems wrong and seems to cheapen the label of hero.They are victims of a senseless act, but not heroes.Had they heard shooting ,ran to the shooter and died engaging him that would make them heroes but simply getting shot by madman however tragic does not make them heroes.

Am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Did you really need to leech off This Thread so blatantly..?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

Did you really need to leech off This Thread so blatantly..?

Two completely different subjects, so far as I can see. One is a bash on vets day, one is a question about why those folks are considered heroes just for being at the wrong spot at the wrong second.

Not really seeing a leech there.

to the OP : I don't know, honestly. I don't see them as heroes, just victims. I think Obama's doing a slight disservice to those folks out there who ARE heroes... but it makes for a great PR stunt, doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Yes it does and thanks for having my back I don't think that guy read either thread

edit to change idiot to guy

[edit on 11-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Very great point genius.. S&F.

It ishard to accept but true. I think people just like to say nice stuff about the dead before they are buried to make people feel better.

Kind of like when your drunken, abusive, bastard of an uncle dies and the priest gets up and tries to convince you he is going to heaven.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
No not heroes. Just dead soldiers that didn't yet have a chance to become heroes.

I am very patriotic and my next statement may startle some people.

The people that worked to pay taxes to pay for guns, aircraft, and other military equipment are heroes too.

We workers paid for their food, their babies to be born and will pay for their funeral.'

We are the unsung heroes in this war business.

Oh we get a special day every year, April 15th. But I've never been thanked by anyone for paying my taxes so our government could spend it on senseless war.

I've paid income taxes since 1962. That's a heck of a long time.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
S&F

It is true they are no Heroes nor do they have the slidest thing in common with what we know about Heroes and what it means to be a Hero.

I think the President did good by honoring them. But you can't just go over the top just to make those left behind proud. They are proud of them regardless of such senseless comparisons.

Honor Where Honor Is Due.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Want to see a real hero? Keep your eyes on the man in yellow.
I was disgusted that this didn't receive more media attention.

new topics

top topics

join