It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Lightning Discovered (On Earth!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Buddhasystem, don't deny it, but you have a very condescending attitude about you. You act the same way I would like to act in the company of a very amateur musician, since that is my greatest strength. By your initial post, you are apparently very educated in physics. Well, a lot of these guys aren't, myself included. This particular thread is full of questions that you may think are naive and stupid, but to the "askers" and posters, they aren't. Have some respect and don't say "do some research" or whatever, because that's equivalent to me saying "go study music theory" when I encounter amateur musicians. Should they study up on the subject at hand? Yes. But something as complex and difficult as physics (specifically QUANTUM physics), isn't going to be a walk in the park. A self-educated physicist using only the internet would still require many months and months of diligent reading. You know that.

Edited for typo.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by OrphenFire]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I came into this topic fully expecting to learn something new after my posts -
alas, I am disappointed.

I highly doubt the creation of the LHC has really anything to do with this at all. Seems to me that the letters LHC are starting to be regarded as some form of mysterious and occult scientifical object of doom and despair. It's just a machine! And they can't even get it to run! Don't sweat it!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

Yeah...imagine...the nylon comb static antimatter hyperdrive!

All we need is an antimatter reactor, a few fans with gaffer taped nylon combs spinning around an old bucket, and we're in business!

Wheyheyyy!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacrosanct

Well...yeah..it's just a machine. But then again, so is an atomic bomb and i wouldn't fancy being around if a few of those were set off.

OK, not a terrific analogy, but you get the drift.

It's a machine, that stands to...on an infinitesimally small chance standing, that it could...in a snowball's chance in a fire kind of way, destroy everything in the known and unknown universe....

*g u l p*...

But, it's a very, very, very (and so on.) small chance.

It is however, still a chance.

The engineers, scientists, physicists, technicians and everyone immediately connected with the conception, construction and use of the thing all agree on this very remote possibility.

So, there is reason to be alarmed..even if the chances of literally everything in the universe winking out of existence are less than say.. winning the lotto jackpot in every single country on the planet in the same week, using the same numbers for all draws!

When it comes to risking the lives of every living organism on Earth and elsewhere and the very fabric of the universe itself being destroyed...i would tend to err on the side of prudence and take a loss on the whole deal.

Discovering whether or not a Higgs particle exist or not, is simply not worth the risk. However small.

The money should have been spent in other areas using other less potentially catastrophic methods of research and experimentation.

[edit on 12/11/2009 by spikey]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
By all due respect for everyone but the STS video everyone is referring about does not clearly prove what we seen in there are actually UFOs. Could very well be dust particles. First of all they may appear because it seems the camera zooms in a way and has them in focus instead of the background and they seem to behave in an od manner because there seem to exist different sources of this material like already (airborn) spaceborn dust following around the shuttle and different particles ejected from the positional thrusters all around the spaceship during maneuvers and this is presenting the illusion of them chasing one another when in reality each dust particle captured in the camera might be some meters or centimeters away from one another and not even relative to each other in any way.
The reasons we don't get to see this in much of the other similar videos from missions is because different equipment is being used including lenses and probably methods of focusing.

This is hardly an evidence that UFOs use lightnings as a power source and that video is the main reason for this popular myth.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

You know, I almost put into my initial post something along these lines... "I'm sure someone will come along eventually with a much better understanding and explain this."
The reason I didn't is because I realized that nobody CAN explain it.
You can't, I certainly can't, and as of right now, nobody can.

You call it a "lame discovery" and then when you are called out for your condescending attitude you tell someone that you don't want to see the discussion boards clogged up when there is good stuff to talk about.

Aside from the backtracking you do in order to try and "save face" I would think that if you didn't want to hear stuff from people with a lesser education in these matters that you wouldn't be posting about it on a discussion forum that boasts over 10,000 members and you would rub elbows with the folks on any of the hundreds of "Physics Forums" found on the internet. The same internet that you refer people to who simply ask questions about something that you claim to have an in depth knowledge of.

At any rate, I did a little more reading about it last night in the comments section on the second article that the OP posted carrying this story. The best response I found there basically echoed what you had to say about it but went a little further and suggested that this could be indicative of cosmic radiation ionizing helium in the upper atmosphere.

Cool.

But to be honest, nobody really knows at this point. It is just a guess. Albeit an educated guess.
So, I appreciate what little info you actually brought to the thread and I don't appreciate your attitude, Buddha man.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

And you may or may not be correct.
Popular myth? Eh, I'm not sure about that.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Cars running on water with boosted sparks and (often) modified sparkplugs at high frequencies make a cold spark, seemingly doing the whole 'vacuum/ZPE/implosion' energy dance. I'd hedge a bet it's the same stuff millions of times larger occuring in the air above us. I'd also bet an antimatter implosion would reverse the field of the spark too...

I heard of one ZPE advocate might be thinking differently on the theory.
There is a wholesale rejection of Relativism which brought about
anti-matter. This is required for Tesla research, turning back the clock.
One has to think back to the 'medium' of Tesla and evaluate what was
done by his experiments.

The detection was not anti matter, just gamma or powerful rays
and energy emitted due to high voltage oscillations resulting
from the lightning.

The refusal to think in fundamental terms brings about the modern
miss conceptions of anti matter. If its Relativistic, think of a different
solution.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustLikeSuperman
earlier on in the year i saw a huge red flash of lightning followed by two blue ones.. the colours were so strong and bright then the thunder came and it was way to loud.. could be this?

I seen that here in Florida years ago and thought we were all going to die because it lit up the whole sky so bright red and then blue when it had been pitch black. It was so freaky I locked the brakes up on my truck so my friend and I could see what was about to happen. Nothing did so we ran home to check the news and not one mention of it was found.

Everyone thought we had lost it when we told them what we saw.

Awhile later I was reading a popular science magazine and they showed a picture of the same thing. They claimed it was from chunks of ice entering the atmosphere and that it normally only happens in the north. I think this is a bull excuse because they blame everything on Ice crystals.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I wonder if this is a new phenomonom (carnt spell) or is this the begining of the veil being lifted and the sky rolled back like a scroll??????/

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
According to Hidden_Hand, the anti-matter universe is the place where our "souls" meet, the "backstage" where we laugh about our roles on this planet. Man, that guy sure has some interesting ideas...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Years ago in Florida we had a lightning storm blow in off the Gulf that was so bad it made the scene in the beginning of War of the Worlds look normal.

No kidding there was a strike very close to our house every two to three seconds. It lasted for an hour. I had never seen that before or since. I still cant believe it was not on the news. I know we live in the lightning capital but dam. I was scared to move in the house as my celling fan started making buzzing sounds.

It was one of the coolest yet freaky things watching it come in from the Gulf. I was like watching that giant UFO move in from the movie Close Encounters.

If anyone would have walked outside they would have been struck.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashar
I wonder if this is a new phenomonom (carnt spell) or is this the begining of the veil being lifted and the sky rolled back like a scroll??????/

I dont think its a new phenomenen, its just that we previously have had little knowledge about lightning. Its still one of the most mysterious meteorological phenoma known.....but this break through may lead to something

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
Have some respect and don't say "do some research" or whatever, because that's equivalent to me saying "go study music theory" when I encounter amateur musicians. Should they study up on the subject at hand? Yes. But something as complex and difficult as physics (specifically QUANTUM physics), isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Thanks for saying that. In fact, it all depends on the level of study. Some basics of quantum mechanics can be understood by people with only light background in mathematics. And when we are talking about basic facts, such as how and when positron was discovered -- this can be found on Wiki in 15 seconds and understood by absolutely anyone. I never said that people who can't do a problem like fine splitting of electron states are in any way inferior. I know physics is damn hard. I do prefer that people do a basic look-up, that's all. What happens by contrast is like me asking you to write up 2 paragraphs on history of Western European music and post it here. I wouldn't do that because I don't want to clutter the board.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I actually think that is a pretty bad analogy, since we are going to continue down this line.

I happen to know of some wonderful musicians (James Taylor, for instance) who never learned musical theory. At least not until much later in their process of becoming what they are today.

But, I see your point and apologize for anything I may have said that may have offended you in any way. In any event, as long as the topic is being pushed forward in some way, I don't see this as clogging the boards.
I mean, there aren't a crap-load of people posting in here.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, this thread has given me something to look into.

I appreciate the info.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Hi there, I did find your (previous) post interesting. Just wanted to correct a few misconceptions, is all. To-recap:

a) only positrons were observed, via their annihilation emission line in the spectrum, not other anti-particles -- so it's a slight exaggeration to speak of "antimatter"

b) Energy released in each act of annihilation is relatively small on nuclear scale. Many radioactive isotopes emit gammas in MeV range, far in excess of what was observed -- and at crazy rates in addition to that! I mean you can make a piece of glass foggy by exposing it to an intense gamma source. The positrons in lightning are harmless by contrast

c) I agree it's fascinating. My own "theory" is that positrons were not created by lightning itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

In that case I need to issue an apology.
Apologies.

I have always had a problem when people cut up someone's post and respond point-by-point. The post ends up losing all context, especially when the responses are just a few words a piece. It takes on a "snippy" tone, if you follow. This is mainly the reason I try to respond to a person mentally vs. copy/paste. But to each their own.

As far as the positron development goes, I would have to agree with you (once again, an admitted layman in these regards) because, like you have pointed out, it has only happened a few times while lightning in general is happening as we speak several times per minute around the world.

The best response I've seen so far is that this is a result of cosmic radiation ionizing helium, as I have already said, but what I'm interested in is if this has any implications on string theory.

Sorry for being so combative in my last few posts.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Maybe the cause of the anti-matter wasn't the lightning bolts itself, but the rare after effect called 'Sprites'..

en.wikipedia.org...

When storms are large enough, and strong enough, lightning shoots a burst of energy into space.

Very interesting article.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Yeah, sprites go way up.
Apparently the helium is way up there, too.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm going to guess that this is an equipment malfunction of some kind. My guess is that the lightning is obscuring the results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join