It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Lightning Discovered (On Earth!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I'm a layman in physics as well

...I'm not,

but as far as I understand, this will be one of the most important discoveries in a very long time!

It won't.

It is on par with some of the most violent energetic exchanges known to exist in the universe, as far as I can tell.

You are wrong. 511keV is a pretty lame energy. Most radioactive decay processes result in more energy release.

No wonder those UFOs hover over our electrical storms. It is fuel.

So far 17 positrons were identified in the spectra. Count them. If aliens can sustain on that, the UFO's must have pretty cool gas mileage.

If true this is a profound discovery.

It's not.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

No wonder those UFOs hover over our electrical storms. It is fuel.

my thoughts exactly!
you would think that UFO sightings around lightning storms would gain a little bit of credibility after such a discovery, but...
Alas, it was merely a duck farting reflective methane, or venus....

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacrosanct

Sorry...I wrote that wrong. What I meant to say is that Einstein said a 'gravity wave' is the shifting of space time and not something moving through space time. I have trouble explaining it...but here is something that explains the theory of Einsteins thoughts on a gravity wave....

What are Gravitational Waves? Predicted in Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, gravitational waves are disturbances in the curvature of spacetime caused by the motions of matter. Propagating at (or near) the speed of light, gravitational waves do not travel "through" spacetime as such -- the fabric of spacetime itself is oscillating. Though gravitational waves pass straight t through matter, their strength weakens proportionally to the distance traveled from the source. A gravitational wave arriving on Earth will alternately stretch and shrink distances, though on an incredibly small scale -- by a factor of for very strong sources. That's roughly equivalent to measuring a change the size of an atom in the distance from the Sun to Earth!

archive.ncsa.illinois.edu...

Im just wondering if we started to see gravity waves...can we expect to start seeing a change in space time....or our mater and antimatter....would we see a cause and effect happen if a gravity wave really happened, could this kind of lightning be that effect?

I know that is really reaching with assumptions, but if the lightning was detected in Alabama, I would be looking around for other signs of strange things occurring.

I really dont know enough either to talk about it really...it makes the mind go in circles with thoughts.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I'm trying to understand this but could someone plz just put it in simple terms? I'm from texas not the brightest bulb in the box here lol

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

but as far as I understand, this will be one of the most important discoveries in a very long time!

It won't.

It's not.

If antimatter particles are discovered to be a part of the physical process while mixing with normal matter, and signatures with identity of antimatter may have relation with the physical phenomenon of thunders might point to this, you think this will not be a profound discovery?

Why evidence of antimatter and matter coexisting hinting that they may be a part of a physical process should not be a profound discovery?
We probably have lots of junk projects to get financed for before we let the people discover that we could just need to focus on one direction and make leaps and bounds?

[edit on 12-11-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
If antimatter particles are discovered to be a part of the physical process while mixing with normal matter, and signatures with identity of antimatter may have relation with the physical phenomenon of thunders might point to this, you think this will not be a profound discovery?

a) positrons (which were in the OP) do not "mix" with normal matter for extended period of time. Their average lifetime before annihilation can be calculated and it obviously depends on the density of the medium. I don't see anything earth shattering in that.

b) creation of positrons is a fairly trivial process. In fact it routinely happens when cosmic rays bombard the atmosphere. Maybe the discharge in these thunderstorms were in some cases initiated by a massive cosmic ray shower (due to a slight bump in ionization). I donno. While having this happening in thunderstorms is cool, again, it's not a fundamental discovery.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hey there guys,

Like many others on the thread I'm confused ... let me explain ... and remember 'I KNOW NOTHING'.

Ok, now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), designed specifically to find/create anti-matter ?

If so does this mean it will now be surplus to requirements ... now that anti-matter can be found naturally on Earth ?

or

Is anti-matter now being found in lightening storms on Earth because of the LHC ?

Just curious !!!

Woody

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
Ok, now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), designed specifically to find/create anti-matter ?

With all due respect, I recommend that you use tremendous resources available on the Web to educate yourself. Use Wikipedia or something.

No, LHC was not designed to create antimatter. Antimatter is old news.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Please excuse my ignorance 'buddhasystem' ... but I don't think I deserved to have you look down your nose at me that way ... I asked a simple, naive question that I'm sure had crossed the mind of others too. I must confess that I was unaware that anti-matter was 'old news' ... I certainly hadn't realized that science was like high fashion (eg goes in and out of style). At least I learned something from your post !

It would seem that intelligence does not necessarily go hand in hand with good manners.

Woody

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think it would be normal to wonder if this is just a act of nature here on Earth or if we are doing something here that is causing this to happen here.

Someone mentioned the idea of galaxies colliding> Could someone comment on that. Are we not entering a dust cloud or something (I read this months back somewhere). Could the dust cloud not be causing this to happen?

Please, forgive my ignorance here.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
It would seem that intelligence does not necessarily go hand in hand with good manners.

I included "with all due respect" in my recommendation to use Wikipedia. Sorry of your skin is so thin.

I think it would be good manners to do quick research using readily available references, before posting a trivial question and cluttering the board (and that is bad manners). I personally like ATS because topics oftentimes involve obscure and not readily available info. To have it diluted would be a shame.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

You dont have to have thin skin to know when someone is full of themselves.

Discussions are good. I also questioned in my mind if the collider would have something to do with this happening.

I think your response is the shame.

But carry on

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by starstrings

Ahh...it all starts to make sense...

One question i that has been baffling me regarding the apparent attraction between UFO's (videos of which have been recorded from STS and ISS missions) and thunder/lightening storms in our atmosphere.

Now we know why.

They are after the anti-matter of course!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
it's called extremely high energy voltage discharge.. it can do odd things to anything really. given that it flipped a few electrons into positrons, this doesn't surprise me but it still does amaze me when we find it.

per flash, you might be talking about the creation of 2-5 positrons max.. but it's enough to have noticable bursts.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgoI think your response is the shame.

If you call an invitation to learning a shame, and a sign that I'm full of myself, well, that does have a comic effect

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
per flash, you might be talking about the creation of 2-5 positrons max.. but it's enough to have noticable bursts.

I'm sure that amount of positrons is pretty damn hard to detect. They must control the backgrounds pretty tight. Good work.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

How did you conclude anyone is not willing to learn. Someone asking questions shows the will to learn. Admitting they dont understand or admitting they are not familiar with the subject is a will to learn. Many people have saved me the trouble of sitting in front of my computer all day by summing up a understanding for me in a few mins. I get the feeling this could of already been done by someone that is seeming to understand this that could of answerd some simple questions. Even if I read material about all of this...does that automatically mean that I still wont come back with questions?

If I know an answer to someones question...I offer the answer. I dont tell them...to go find the answers for themselves and not share what I know or understand.

You probably could of answered the questions posted by now...but god forbid, lets be sure to point out that others dont know what you do.

Sorry, but that is how you are coming off. I have the feeling this conversation could of progressed instead of standing still.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Perhaps this explains a lightning explosion the night before last here in Vancouver.

MASSIVE blast of thunder, at the same time as a bolt of light bright enough to cut through my eyelids as I am asleep goes off. House shook like a bomb went off above it.

But no other strikes. No other thunder. Just this singular, massive, thunderous blast. Roomate from Texas was shaken, had never seen anything like it.

Myself, I thought they had nuked the city or something. It was bizarre.

Yes that was strange we never get thunder in November. The exact same time i got a text alert....i was afraid to check my text lol. I live on the NS, would be extra odd if you were a long distance away from me.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Very cool, Star and Flag for this. I wonder if static electricity would do the same thing on your clothing, after all it is the same thing.

Oh and the LHC could potentionally creat anti-matter, as it is sometimes a side effect of smashing atoms apart.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Obinhi]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
[edit on 12-11-2009 by william.gauncents]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join