It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who have served ... you're not all heroes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent-ATS

I did think of the one who recently passed away. Lived to be 111. Harry patch who also did not consider himself a hero.

We came across a lad from A company. He was ripped open from his shoulder to his waist by shrapnel and lying in a pool of blood. When we got to him, he said: 'Shoot me'. He was beyond human help and, before we could draw a revolver, he was dead. And the final word he uttered was 'Mother.' I remember that lad in particular. It's an image that has haunted me all my life, seared into my mind

He lived a long time with that memory.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I want to extend a thank you out to all the military veterans who read this, regardless of the flag you served.

BTW, who's decides if a war is illegal?

Also, I don't like that we invaded Iraq, but I'll put a size 11 rattlesnake boot in anyones teeth who disrespects the soldiers to my face.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I want so bad to have the words to describe my anger, disgust and contempt for someone of the OP's lower intelligence.

I can't tell you what I really want to say cause I know the Mods will delete my post and scold me.

That said, you really can't argue with an Idiot. I truly hope you get everything that's coming to you.

As a Desert Storm Vet myself, I would pay my life savings to have been there as you typed your post so I could show you first hand the interrogation techniques the U.S. Military teaches those you just slapped in the face.

I can sleep well tonight knowing that in the end, as always happens to those like you, you will find yourself in need of those you just spat in the face of.

TO ALL VETERANS EVERYWHERE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE AND FOR FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHT OF IDIOTS TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS LIKE THE OP DID.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If you wish to take issue with the political leadership of the U.S., U.K., France, or any other nation that has committed what you consider to be an atrocity by declaring war in the last century or so, be my guest. I'll cheer you on.

If you take issue with the fact that there are many of us who support and are basely respectful of those soldiers who've gone into harms way because they simply followed orders... then you aren't worth the physical exertion it requires for me to take a @#$%.

Anyone who would use Veteran's Day to talk trash about veterans... your mom has a basement you can live in because of the very freedoms that they provided, even if they didn't come because Bush was a war-mongering idiot.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Always remember that as “One Nation, Under God” the United States of America is far, far removed from the turmoil and danger that is experienced around the world on a daily basis, and that we are so very blessed to live where we do - especially during the holiday season. The closest that we have come to experiencing that turmoil and danger in recent times were the events of September 11, 2001.
For this wonderful gift of peace and freedom we have only one person to give thanks to – the American Soldier.

Remember that the men and women of the United States Military have freely chosen to protect us and give us this gift.
It is a gift that can never be reciprocated in full, and only asks for remembrance in return.
Many American Soldiers will not come home from their stations of turmoil and danger around the world to be with their families and friends for the holidays.
The American Soldier will stand steadfast and strong, continuing to protect us and fight for freedom in places around the world with conditions that we cannot even begin to imagine.

May God Bless them and their families, and may He hold them safe in His arms until they come home again.

link

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I thought of a man I dont know his name. He was one or the last surviving vets of WW1. He was in a documentry I'd watched.

He was sat there crying his eyes out saying

"We was'nt cowards you know, we had just been there a long time (The Somme) and when the whistle went to go over the top, us that had been there for ages, counted to three before going over the top, so we didnt get killed, like the others who where new.

It was heartbreaking to watch. God knows what it was like to live.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think the word hero is overused, so I will agree with you there. Of course not everyone who serves is a hero, just as not every cop or fireman is. That's just ludicrous to say. They do their jobs and every once in a while in the course of those jobs, a hero arises.

However, I don't think it's fair to say there are no heroes today because there clearly are. Nor is it logical to compare the wars or the missions in this way.

(Were the people who died at Ft Hood heroes, as one of the generals during the ceremonies yesterday said? Not in my opinion. Not simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and dying. Though we have heard that there were some acts of heroism during the horror. Seems to me those might have been diminished in some way?)

Oh, and heroism doesnt even begin to factor in to whether a war is "legal" or "illegal" or you agree with the war or not or whether it's a volunteer service or just someone's job or not. It happens everyday, by people in all walks of life and in all sorts of jobs. It just happens more in some.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Your post disturbed me so much, I'm going to write out a check to a local organization that helps returning Vet's. That is my answer and I'm proud to help these young volunteers who risk all for me. I wish I could do more.

We all need to do more to let them know when they come back that most of us appreciate them. They will be bombarded with drivel from hateful, spiteful people who would never lift a finger for this country. They need to know nearly everyone is on their side.

When I first encountered some returning Soldiers in an airport, simultaneously nearly everyone rose and applauded them. I could see in their eyes how much it mattered.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One thing a lot of us could do to honor veterans...
Next time you're stopped at an intersection of any large city in the US and some shabby looking old guy comes up to your car asking for some change, rather than barking at him to get a job, or just rolling up your window and diverting your eyes, give him a few bucks.
Chances are good that if he's in his fifties or early sixties, he's a Viet Nam vet.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jitter

Try to encourage them to go to the VA, too! There are still some vets out there that are not getting their benefits.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Dear OP,
I am a hero, my husband is a hero, my father, grandfather's, uncle's, in laws.. etc, are all a family of heroes.

Anybody who wakes up and puts on or has put on the uniform of this country .. that has sacrificed time away from their families, or even their lives, to defend your right to trash them.. is a hero in my book.

Just because a "good enough" war in your opinion hasn't happened doesn't mean that it won't. Most soldiers, sailors, marines and air men know that at any minute they could die trying to save this country. So they are heroes.

peace.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I agree that they are not heroes .. they are sheeps ...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent-ATS

I think it was this gent you were talking about:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
We can be thankfull for one thing, when this world turns ugly and the fight comes to them they are to limp wristed to fight back. When did the rest of europe turn into france? Are their any men left in the house or did they all get fixed somewhere along the line?

If a proper war had been fought on American soil, I guarantee the average fat yank such as yourself would not be so hungry for war.

The average US citizen has never seen the horrors and devastation of war up close in their streets.

They've never felt the fear when the air raid siren sounded and enemy fighter planes circled up ahead, dropping bombs.

They have never witnessed normal people, friends, neighbours being dragged out and shot in the street by an invading enemy force.

They have never seen innocent people rounded up in camps and slaughtered.

All of the wars America has been involved in have occurred thousands of miles away from the States. All these wars, since WW2, have been fought against weak opposition (the equivalent of a 7ft tall bully picking on the nerd at school and then whining when the nerd manages to get a shot in that bloodies the bullies nose).

"European's" (hate that term, there are 50+ countries in Europe), have witnessed such horrors up close just 60 odd years ago. Is it any wonder they are sick of war?

What if China decides to invade the United States one day? Let's see how many of you love War then.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Look here, another troll joins the fray.

And "sheep" doesn't need an "s" to make it plural.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
All of the wars America has been involved in have occurred thousands of miles away from the States. All these wars, since WW2, have been fought against weak opposition (the equivalent of a 7ft tall bully picking on the nerd at school and then whining when the nerd manages to get a shot in that bloodies the bullies nose).

What if China decides to invade the United States one day? Let's see how many of you love War then.

Yeah and lets see how many of you decide to bag out your own soldiers then eh

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall
Do some research and find out for yourself what I am talking about...or are you too busy chasing rainbows...

Which means you don't have a clue, don't have a source, and are talking out of your 4th point of contact. Right???

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It is at times like these that I really appreciate my parents. Had it not been for them teaching me restraint and to know when it is best to not say exactly what is on my mind, I would be banned from ATS within the hour.

Unfortunately, Ulala's parents did not teach him the same lessons. So let me help out. The next time you have a thought...don't.

Thank you, to all Veterans and active members of the Armed Forces!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

If a proper war had been fought on American soil, I guarantee the average fat yank such as yourself would not be so hungry for war.

Well, the fat guys could eat the enemy into submission.

The average US citizen has never seen the horrors and devastation of war up close in their streets.

They've never felt the fear when the air raid siren sounded and enemy fighter planes circled up ahead, dropping bombs.

They have never witnessed normal people, friends, neighbours being dragged out and shot in the street by an invading enemy force.

They have never seen innocent people rounded up in camps and slaughtered.

Really? So, to be really "touched by war" it has to be in your own country? You think that US troops in England that saw the bombings in London weren't effected by that? And the ones that overran the concentration camps weren't effected by that? You need to pick up a book and read.

"European's" (hate that term, there are 50+ countries in Europe), have witnessed such horrors up close just 60 odd years ago. Is it any wonder they are sick of war?

Yeah, but who started their wars? Fighting amongst themselves was a weekend sport.

And let's see how many of our "allies" come to help us. And remember that quote from that nice gentleman named Yamamoto.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join