It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid passes just 8,700miles from Earth - with only 15 hours warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This goes to show you that our government will not tell us if there is impending doom on the horizon...

Can you believe that this was 30 times closer to the Earth than the moon!!! Incredible...
Souce: Daily Mail Online

Nasa's Near Earth Object Programme plotted the orbit of the object and determined that although it would fly extremely close to our planet it wouldn't hit us. It was the third-closest known (non-impacting) Earth approach on record for a cataloged asteroid. The Nasa NEO programme aims to detect and track at least 90 per cent of the 1,000 asteroids and comets that approach Earth and are larger than 0.6miles in diameter, by 2020. They monitored a 100ft asteroid that whizzed 45,000 miles above the Earth's surface on March 2 this year. A similar sized object slammed into Tunguska, Siberia in 1908. The impact created a blast so powerful it levelled 1,200 square miles of forest. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 11/11/2009 by x2Strongx]

CX

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Interesting find, thanks for posting.

I think asteroids are one of the few things it's proably best to keep quiet about if you ask me.

If it's big enough to wipe out the earth, what are we going to do anyway? If it's small enough not to worry about, they'll either not tell us because it's not going to hit, or only tell those directly in the impact area.

If you broadcast it every time an asteroid comes close to us, the whole world would be one big mess of panic.

Does anyone know of damage/size data when it comes to asteroids? I mean if the 100ft one had hit us, what kind of damage would it do?

CX.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
No surprise that we wouldn't be warned, we tend to get the mushroom treatment from the government most of the time. As for figuring out how much damage it could have done try this: www.lpl.arizona.edu...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
thats pretty d#mn close!!

kinda just a matter of time huh

and i find it odd that this is the second time its happened this year

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wow...thanks for that post.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Last time I checked theres about 1700 NEO Asteroids around Earth (within 10 LD) that we know of coming close to Earth in the next 100 years.

Thats not to take into account that the Asteroid Belt is always in motion and things are always being swung in/out of the Belt, aswell as Asteroids that come from the dayside of Earth that we cant see due to the Sun.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This does occur very frequently. There is both a University, a branch of NASA, as well as an international organization that all attempt to observe, locate, catalog and track NEOs, but there is a lot of sky out there to keep under constant surveillance. It is rather akin to trying to actively monitor every square inch of the planet at the same time. It just can't be done with current technology and with what limited resources we devote to such a project (we spend far more on Domestic Surveillance than we do on watching out for NEOs).

It is no wonder that several aren't discovered until it would have been too late. I would suspect that there are some that do a close-by pass without ever being detected.

Still, nothing has changed Astronomically in millions of years. We aren't any more at risk than we were 100 years ago, or a 1000 years ago, or 10000 years ago. The only difference now is that we are more aware of our surroundings to where we should feel fortunate that a collision with a Level 5 Life-Killer hasn't happened...and in all mathematical probability won't.

However, it would give greater peace of mind if we did devote more resources to NEO Observation...alas, Homeland Security and Border Patrols are deemed far more worthy of Federal funding than watching out for NEOs.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So I'm guessing we couldn't see it with our naked eyes?

How come there's no witness to this NEO? No pictures, or videos...
Hmm...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is why I never listen to NASA. They lie everyday!!!!!!!!!!

There will be NO WARNING WHAT SO EVER of impending doom. I know this for a fact. A few years ago, I heard on the news that FEMA announced they would not warn people of any doomsday asteroid or comets. People must not know so that they can carry on their happy tax paying, happy worker lives. The important people (ones THEY consider important) are the only ones going to know, while they leave the rest of us to die. PIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If there was some kind of impending doom such as: Asteroid that can wipe out humanity, country or even just the city that I live in... Or, any other kind of natural disaster... I would definitely want to know about it that way I can spend my last seconds on Earth with the ones that I love.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The only reason they track these is to bunker the elite, otherwise there wold be no reason to both track and not tell the general public.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It wouldnt make much of a difference anyway, you can estimate it'll hit Earth and at what continent (roughly), but not a direct area so practically almost everyone on the facing side of the Asteroid would be at risk.

Even those in the bunkers would have limited supplies however, they'd have to come out sometime.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Sorry to throw water on the fire......but this is a complete.......COMPLETE AND TOTAL non story!!!!!!!
In the story itself it points out that the Meteorite was 23 ft in length and would NOT have reached Earth even if it was on course to. It would've burnt up ! Hello? This happens multiple times every week.
Conclusion:
From time to time, different Scientists and/or organizations need more money. Answer: Publish a random daily event and blow up its importance to alarm enough people to create a special monetary grant.

It is a sad commentary on the Media. They can no longer decifer real news nor write articles with facts detailed enough to provide perspective.
A complete waste of our time! Don't get played!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I was just going to say. Despite all the observation technology, the chances of an object coming by undetected is still pretty considerable.

It is possible they only just saw it when there was nothing that could be done about it.

I agree with the other poster, no need to freak everyone out.YOu would have people spending all their savings and causing panic and chaos to have it fly by.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I would really be ticked off I was spending last few hours at work not knowing that an asteroid was about to hit. I could have spent the last few hours of my life with my family.
I don't know why TPTB would care what the public did, the world was going to end anyway!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is some good information, and its sad they dont tell everyone. I think we got a defense system for them in play its just to technologically advanced for humanity to except we built it. Smh there should be a total of 6 in close earth orbit, playing with asteriods interesting. thanks for the info S&F

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
..... mmm

maybe another secret NWO economic stimulus package ....

that missed the mark ...... again !?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

A similar sized object slammed into Tunguska, Siberia in 1908. The impact created a blast so powerful it leveled 1,200 square miles of forest.

The real danger of a object like this is if it entered over a country with nuclear weapons and a hair trigger. India, Pakistan, North Korea, ECT

A Tunguska type blast would look enough like a nuclear explosion to trigger a response from a trigger happy country.

In countries that do not have nuclear weapons this type event could start a small war that could out live the finding of the true cause,

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Nuclear weapons give off 2 pulses of light in a nanosecond (one the intital trigger phase which sets off the charge fusing the plutonium/uranium together and then the initial nuclear reaction.)

A Asteroid strike would only give off 1 radiant light source and as "some" satellites are programmes to look for the Nuclear detonations, they's know straight away wether the blast was nuclear, natural, or something industrial.

top topics

join