It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews: Not a Crime To Call Al Qaeda, Is It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

MSNBC's Chris Matthews has said some things that would make your scratch your head - like getting a thrill up his leg from a speech given by Barack Obama. However, this one will really make you wonder what he was thinking.

"See - we have a problem," Matthews said. "How do we know when someone like Hasan is going to make his move and do we know he's an Islamist until he's made his move? He makes a phone call or whatever, according to Reuters right now. Apparently he tried to contact al Qaeda. Is that the point at which you say, ‘This guy is dangerous?' That's not a crime to call up al Qaeda, is it? Is it? I mean, where do you stop the guy?"

NewsBuster Link

Wholie Geez.
I'm having a really difficult time trying to grasp what Matthews is actually thinking here by making a totally asinine comment as this.
Seems to me even Obama should pull him aside, slap him upside the head and say "YES, IT IS A CRIME, DUH!"

So I'm hoping someone from the left can help explain the logic behind this comment because I have no idea what point he is trying to make here.

Help me, please, explain this to me like I'm a four year old because I'm beginning to think "political correctness" should be a crime.

Watch the idiot here

additional link

Note: Apologize if this has already been posted, didn't find one in the search

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Seems to me even Obama should pull him aside, slap him upside the head and say "YES, IT IS A CRIME, DUH!"

It's not a crime though, is it? I certainly haven't heard about that law being passed.

However, I do think he is making a ridiculous point.

If somebody tries to contact al Qaeda, they should be carefully watched. It doesn't necessarily make them dangerous, but you must start questioning their motives.

A news anchor said this right?

Peace.

[edit on 05/08/2009 by LiveForever8]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Poor Chris.

I really used to like him. I guess I still do but he has become a bit of a cartoon of his former self. Now I just find myself wanting to shout "Say it don't spray it!" when I watch his show. And I'm not sure why he even bothers to book guests or why anyone agrees to come on his show - he never let's them get a word in edge-wise.

Overall, I like how he is willing to say what some are thinking and to call BS on the silliness of people like Michelle Bachman. However, he does get carried away with himself and he comes across as such an elitist at times.

I tend to chalk this latest episode up to yet another example of Chris being in love with the sound of his own voice. He seriously needs to talk less.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
He is saying, like in the movie minority report when do you stop someone. Precrime does not exist really like in that movie.

My life has shown, that precrime, is something they can make up about anyone, to kill anyone, as anyone can be suspect in precrime.

Who the heck is al qaeda anyway. I thought even the bbc say it does not exist.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Why is it a crime to contact "Al Quaeda"?
If it in fact even truly exists. "Al Quaeda" is a name given by the US intel agencies, even Osama never called himself an Al Quaeda.
Also, what if a journalist tried to contact Al Quaeda for a news report? Is that illegal, are they a terrorist? Or what if I tried to call them to say "screw you buddy!" is that illegal? Nonesense and poppycock.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I guess it is not a crime,

But what's his point?

Everyday gets a little weirder.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Granted his example could have or should have been better illustrated, but no it is not a crime in and of itself to call al queda, although it makes me wish I had a number to hear "Good morning thank you for calling al queda how can we help you"
, especially since they seem to be so hard to track down. Let's not forget how many people that have been falsely accused of having ties to terrorists or being a terrorist, that simply haven't.

From what I have heard Hasan was being "observed" for a while prior to his attack. But that still leaves me scratching my head, just having worked I have seen employees being sent to see a psychiatrist or having to take time off to sort out their "personal" issues (often times at the behest of the company) perhaps I have been fortunate in my work life. I do not believe that a person "just snaps" without any warning. Apparently, he had been discussing his "issues" with his superiors for about 8 yrs. Eight years?! For eight years he had been expressing his concerns himself, now that is not even taking into account what the CIA uncovered during their supposed investigation. I may be wrong, but doesn't the military have the servicemen and women subject to physicals and mental evaluations (especially a psychologist). I think they really missed the ball. Don't get me wrong, I am not taking the blame from the criminal, he deserves whatever punishment they give him for his actions.

Now, what I don't understand (if anyone has heard) he went on this shooting spree because he didn't want to be redeployed (having issue with killing other Muslims). First question is, does a military psychologist fight in a typical situation of his job function? I mean unless the area where he was located was directly under attack, would he have required to shoot at anyone? I also do not understand why when a person goes "postal" over their own situation, why they feel the need to kill others instead of committing suicide. Not that I'm advocating suicide, but just because someone is unhappy with their situation how does that translate into let me go kill a bunch of other people randomly, who in all actuality have no effect on my situation.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So the Ft. Hood shooter called Al Qaeda?" Do they have a 1-800 number? A listing in the Afghani Yellow Pages? A call center in Mumbai? That sentence alone makes me suspicious. If Al Qaeda does indeed exist, I doubt they can be so easily reached.

Originally posted by andy1033
He is saying, like in the movie minority report when do you stop someone. Precrime does not exist really like in that movie.

My life has shown, that precrime, is something they can make up about anyone, to kill anyone, as anyone can be suspect in precrime.

Who the heck is al qaeda anyway. I thought even the bbc say it does not exist.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by diabolique

LOL @ 800 #

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
by "Calling AQ" i'm pretty sure they mean calling someone he found out was claiming to be, or was actually in it. he worked in the military, i'm sure it would've been kinda easy for him to come across a phone number or two. let's not be dense...

and i think what chris was trying to say is we should be able to prevent these things, especially when someone took that step to make contact, but it does violate laws...so what do we do? it sounded to me like he is confused on how to stop people who feel this is the right thing to do while staying within the law. just like someone else said, i could be a reporter, call up good ol' AQ and want an interview, but that doesn't make me a suspected terrorist.

he pointed out a very big loop hole that could be closed, but if we do, then that's stepping on rights.

and just for reference, i do not watch chris...i dont even watch msnbc. just trying to shed some light on what i think is his intent, because i doubt he will show up here to defend himself.

top topics

join