It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a Time-Traveling Bird Sabotage the Hadron Collider?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Just as an aside to the people in here calling these physicists quacks: You do realize that the man who first suggested this possibility several weeks ago, is the father of String Theory and much of modern physics?

So yes, if you'd like to continue throwing fecal matter at some of the most esteemed scientists alive today, feel free to continue. It just makes you look like ignorant monkeys

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
A time traveling bird.
Main Stream Media talking this way - only means one thing.
Someone is lying - or someone is preparing to lie -
That's not to say there isn't a time traveling bird -
it is only to say IF they mention it - something stinks.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Had anyone entertained the idea that if this was a time travelling bird, the mission might not be to stop the LHC, but to delay it?

Aside from the theory sounding silly, it's pretty interesting to think about it. The movie "First Contact" comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i have proof that the bird was actually not from the future, but from another dimension where time does not exist.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

they are quacks and i stand by that comment!

i have been trying to think about this all day, and its non stop paradoxial mess!

it asks more questions than it answers.

for instance.

1. why use a bird and not something reliable. (unless of course their using the t2 movie time travel rules).

2. if their was some sort of catastrophy caused by the LHC , why are their people in the future who still have the technology to time travel..which leads to..

3. if their is a catastrophy , exactly how big would it be, as according to this theory they not only are Still alive in the future.. after the LHC, but they have even progressed to such a point where they can build a time machine and send a bird (and baggette) back in time.

Quantum physics can be weird, ill give you that, but its never as stupid as this!

Its number 3 that i have been thinking about most! as it just makes no sence and is one massive paradox... that the LHC caused a catastrophy yet they have been able to progress to the level where they can time travel?

ITS JUST MORE POINTLESS FEAR MONGERING BY SCIENTISHS WHO ARE PROBABLY BITTER THEY NEVER GOT TO WORK AT THE LHC!!

(and yes, you can quote me on that!)

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A bird flies over a sensitive piece of machinery and accidentally drops his dinner and all of a sudden it's a "Time Traveling Bird from the Future"?

Boy do these guys have an imagination!

I'd have an easier time believing them if they said the bird was trained by the North Korean government to destroy the collider than that theory!

[edit on 11/11/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Its the reason behind the bird dropping the bread thats the myth, just like the equasion was created to make sense of order through chaos (the chaos theory), these physicists have calculated a formula which has some sort of formulated proof that this event occuring was something other than chaos theory.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PYak1234
You NEED to understand these so called experts are also trying to make sure they don't look so stupid that they would leave vital equipment in a place where a bird could interfere with it.

If they just admitted to everyone that they had equipment vital to the success of the experiment uncovered in the open. I'm sure even the people/organisations funding these MAD experiments would think twice about leaving these madmen in charge.

Also, does anyone else think trying to make "Black Holes", "Fire particles at each other at the speed of Light", plus many things they are NOT telling us. Sound TOO Dangerous. They are dealing with things they DON'T have a clue of what the outcome will be. The firing particles at each other experiment could cause a massive chain reaction type effect, similar to the largest Atomic explosions.

No wonder after spending Billions the USA closed their Hadron Collider down.

Seriously? You have no idea what you're talking about and it's ludicrous that you think you know more about the LHC than the physicists working on it

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This doesn't sound like time travel at all. It sounds like a synchronicitic event.

If this story has any merit, I wouldn't look for time traveling culprits. Instead I would think it might be reality or the universe itself doing this. Call it G-d, the Logos, or Nature. Something may think we are tinkering around with things were not supposed to be tinkering with.

On the other hand some Cosmic Trickster might be having a bit of fun with the scientists at CERN. Hopefully it doesn't turn into "magic bullet" fun before this is over with.

[edit on 11/11/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Doesn't this concern anyone here?
People controlling a multi billion dollar machine think birds from the future are making there machine not work.

So you're biased in believing it's "God" or something from the future preventing it as the article states?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
it was not god, and it was not time travel.. as THEY DONT EXIST! (sorry)

it was just an addicent!! a simple little accident!

im half expecting people to rally together to go find this bird and question it... !

only on a place like ats could a topic THIS stupuid gain nearly four pages of replies and have people actualy arguing!

time travelling birds DO NOT exist! And if they do, i will eat my flux capasitor!
[edit on 11-11-2009 by boaby_phet]

[edit on 11-11-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Here, it's from the article:

Many physicists say that Nielsen and Ninomiya's theory, while intellectually interesting, cannot be accurate because the event that the LHC is trying to recreate already happens in nature. Particle collisions of an energy equivalent to those planned in the LHC occur when high-energy cosmic rays collide with the earth's atmosphere. What's more, some scientists believe that the Tevatron accelerator at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (or Fermilab) near Chicago has already created Higgs bosons without incident; the Fermilab scientists are now refining data from their collisions to prove the Higgs' existence.

Nielsen concedes, "We have very little data, so theorists are going their own ways and making a lot of theories that may not be very plausible. We need guidance from experimentalists to make the theories more healthy."

So yeah, in an absence of evidence, make something up

I'm no scientist but I don't think this criticism stands up to scrutiny:

"Many physicists say that Nielsen and Ninomiya's theory, while intellectually interesting, cannot be accurate because the event that the LHC is trying to recreate already happens in nature."

Provided there are no observers of these happenings then there is no problem. Isn't that basic quantum physics?

Additionally for anyone claiming otherwise, I don't think these scientists are suggesting anyone has sent a bird back in time. They are implying that the universe itself without any mind is conspiring to prevent the LHC experiments from taking place.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by sharps]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So they send a bird from the future to sabotage a physics experiment, but all the thermonuclear weapons tests go off without a hitch.

If there's any truth to this it will happen again, and again, and again.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I happen to believe that the supreme being or perhaps superior alien intelligence will stop us from blowing ourselves up.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
... calling all time travelling ducks ... err.. homer pigeons..whatever

please report to past and stop nuclear weapon development....over ?

[edit on 11-11-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Doesn't this concern anyone here?
People controlling a multi billion dollar machine think birds from the future are making there machine not work.

considering what the machine could do ..opening black hole's ect...
it's kinda could be dangerous..

But look we got the best crack pot's who think time traveling birds are sabotaging it...

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm no expert or scientist but...

With respect. Ignoring the errors in your post and replying specifically with regard to your concerns about the possible creation of black holes. Don't worry! Even if somehow it were possible to creat a black hole with such puny amounts of energy (which apparently it is not), hawking radiation would ensure that there was no danger and that the black hole would evaporate away in an unphysical lifespan of less than planck time. And in the even more unlikely event that a wormhole was created it would have zero practical width.

check out en.wikipedia.org...

Even ignoring the math I think its clear that hawking radiation comes to our rescue and prevents said black hile from sinking to the centre of the Earth and swallowing us up.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
How do you fit a flux capacitor to a bird? How did the bird get the 1.21 gigawatts needed to power the flux capacitor and survive? hmmm....

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Well said. Folks listen up and read the truth in this post. The fact that these guys are the ones saying this speaks volumes.

There is nothing in nature or quantum theory preventing such a scenario. These scientists simply feel that there is a possibility that

"...the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one..."
(source: davidjgregory.wordpress.com...)

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sharps

I'm going to echo you on this.

I remember reading about this a little while back when the theory was first put forward. My understanding was that our discovery of the Higgs boson would be so detrimental that either "nature", or the Higgs itself, is preventing the discovery.

edit: You made your last post while I was typing mine, rendering it virtually pointless! Everybody just read Sharp's posts!!

[edit on 11/11/2009 by yadda333]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
how the hell did these quacks get a job at cern??

i really, cant believe, physicists, can come out with such crap.

They can't. Certain members of ATS can, though.

This is at least the third thread on this topic. As documented before, power outages happen routinely (and not very often at that) anywhere a high voltage installation is employed. A squirrel had interrupted power supply to the TV station in Geneva just a year ago, and this is not unique by any means. I'm not an expert in design of high voltage power transmission and conversion systems, but there must be valid reasons why they are not complete enclosed -- actually, an enclosure might serve as a nesting place for birds and squirrels and such.

So before you bask in feeling smart, consider other possibilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join