It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You to All You Who Have Served

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
thank you. at least someone thanked me today. I also want to give a shout out to Sgt. Michael Esposito A Co.,2-22 inf, a budy of mine who was killed in afghanistan back in 2004. RIP

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
On this very special day, may we all take the time to remember the veterans and their considerable contributions to our freedom.

I cannot help but be struck by the irony presented by the following article:

Over 2,200 veterans died in 2008 due to lack of health insurance

A research team at Harvard Medical School estimates 2,266 U.S. military veterans under the age of 65 died last year because they lacked health insurance and thus had reduced access to care. That figure is more than 14 times the number of deaths (155) suffered by U.S. troops in Afghanistan in 2008, and more than twice as many as have died (911 as of Oct. 31) since the war began in 2001.

Dr. David Himmelstein, the co-author of the analysis and associate professor of medicine at Harvard, commented, “On this Veterans Day we should not only honor the nearly 500 soldiers who have died this year in Iraq and Afghanistan, but also the more than 2,200 veterans who were killed by our broken health insurance system. That’s six preventable deaths a day.”
www.pnhp.org...

Sorry if I wrecked somebody's day.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thank you for your thoughts. I served over 20 yrs active duty. Retired (not really) in 1996 during the Bush administration. Rank of Major could have easily made LTC. Chose to get out because what I was seeing seemingly only a select few were aware, at my level. Their is no way in hell I could serve under this current illegal administration. Son (whatever) want even show his birth certificate (the one that counts) and has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to hide the rest. Everything that passes through that orifice he calls a mouth is almost guaranteed to be a lie and usually a big one. Remember him saying during an interview "my Islamic faith" and the individual interviewing had to correct him by saying "you mean your Christian faith. Of course he quickly agreed. It would be laughable if he wasn't so dangerous to our now (defunked) way of life.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wow..

Thanks for promoting the war against others beliefs.

When I served in the marines, it struck me one day that no enemy has ever invaded our (american europeans) shores and we have always gone to someone elses house to pick a fight.

Bombing people into democracy is a pretty stupid thing. You have been brainwashed into believing that war = peace.

You strike me as one of those people that waves his flag and puts little stickers on your car to show how $#%$^^ patriotic you are, yet you have no idea what it feels like to put a rifle to someones head and pull the trigger.....

They are different than us...let's kill them....hhhmmm... Sounds like a religion...

Always tell the truth.
Do not violate the rights of your fellow man and don't impose your will upon others. If you have to ask what those rights are, you don't deserve any.
If you have a belief in a god, keep it to yourself.

There ya go....world peace solved....

try it...

peas

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Most of them died to protect the property of rich old white men.

If soldiers on all sides decide to not fight then there won't be war.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

First off, 11th of November is not just a US holiday. You have very poor taste at best and are being a complete moron with lack of knowlegde at worst.
Armistice Day started on the 11th hour of the 11th day in the 11th month of 1918.

Ruined my Day? I don't think so. But I am sure all those fellow Canadian solders that fought and were killed over the decades for your Freedom to be in bad taste would be offended.

Healthcare in the USA has nothing to do with Verterns Day, or Cananda as far as that goes.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Well, that's uninformed rhetoric. I really don't know where to begin since it would take a lengthy history lesson to illustrate how ignorant that post was. Wars have been fought for all kinds of reasons from opposition to the evil that was Hitler to one over a trivial object such as an oak bucket. But, I suppose the oak bucket could have been owned by a rich white man, anything is possible.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
To all the jackasses making political statements in this thread, please go start your own thread, this one is about honoring heroes.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

First off, 11th of November is not just a US holiday. You have very poor taste at best and are being a complete moron with lack of knowlegde at worst.

I am well aware of Remembrance Day. I have lost family members in wars.

Healthcare in the USA has nothing to do with Verterns Day, or Cananda as far as that goes.

I am remarking on how ironic it is that we have here a parade of soliloquies devoted to the contributions and sacrifices of vets on this day, yet how many of them are struggling and dying after the fact, that it is all well and good to put your hand to your heat on today, but what about the other 364? This is not about health care per se...it is about hypocricy.

To use an similar analogy...'The Christmas spirit is not what you drink'

It's almost 11:00...gotta go...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Moderaters...please do not let this thread disolve into negative opinion pieces and vet bashing.

Many may not agree with the wars going on or the military political climate of today. Just keep in mind many have died and been maimed for life because of their contributions in service. The average citizen is shielded from the bloody and grisley realities of military life. Wake up and realize vets are hero's.

Veterans deserve absolute respect and today is the day everyone should reflect upon the many that fought and died for you.

I am a 100% disabled veteran and proud to have served and contributed to my country.

To all you fellow vets............A GREAT BIG THANKS!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyDawn
You're welcome!!

Let's remember ALL those who've been sacrificed by our governments!

Let's keep the politics out of the thread.. or I will start my "I don't support the troops because I feel there is something wrong with someone that signs up to kill people and then expects me to feel bad for them when they get hurt" rant.

Edit:

Of course, I -do- support those that were drafted into service and express my deepest appreciation for their service.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by HankMcCoy]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thank you for the thread, GradyPhilpott.

All gave some, some gave all.

Let's honor those who have fallen to defend our freedom, and those who have sacrificed so much and came home alive. We can't be thankful enough for the brave soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who give their lives for us. I may not have been a battle hardened soldier, but I am glad that there are people who are thankful for the contribution I made to my country's Navy Combat Team. Honor, courage, and commitment. Hoo-yah!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Indeed ,Thank you my Countrymen. What would we do without freedom? Free men you are.
All of YOU are Bravehearts

[edit on 11-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

AGREED! The veterans should be held in the highest esteem! Personally any one that has served should be treated as special members of society and not forsakenand swept under the rug as many have been.Anyone that agrees with govt run healthcare should take a close look at the VA and how it works .Even at one point former Pres Bush was reportedly in tears at how forsaken our heroes are/were cared for!.Many of our soldiers that manage to return to society are affected for life....if not physically definittely in other ways. Our soldiers suicide rates and those that suffer from PTSD are simply forgotten or ignored. Sorry to be so longwinded but all you guys and gals that have given so much....Thank You from the depths of my heart and soul....there are many of us that realize your sacrifices and are forever mindful of just how truly brave you areGod Bless

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

May I add my thanks as well?

To him and all his brothers and sisters, past, present, and future. This little bird thanks all of you from the bottom of his heart.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It's a good time to take a moment and think about the sacrifices many people make willingly for the greater good. Members of the armed forces have my thanks and supreme respect.

At this time of the year, I also include in my thoughts the police officers, firefighters, and anyone who puts themselves in harm's way for the safety and protection of others.

Thank you all.

Somebody up there said they weren't comfortable accepting a free meal. Please think of it this way - it makes the ownership and the people who work there feel like they're giving back a little bit and gives them an opportunity to show some gratitude. Of course, it's nothing but a token but it is a win/win in my opinion.

There have been a few times I've asked a waitress to bring me the check of a soldier in uniform without telling him, before. I always get a lot more out of it than they do.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

It's a good time to take a moment and think about the sacrifices many people make willingly for the greater good. Members of the armed forces have my thanks and supreme respect
I'd like to second that. Well said Mod.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
My husband a retired Marine and I will not support this years local birthday celebrations.

Why?, because this year the economic woes is making all those that are behind the Marine corp birthday fanfare and ball in our neck of the woods target the retirees that are actually the bulk of the attendees in the celebrations as our bases military has been oversea for many years.

In the past My husband and I has been supporting the birthday celebration while attending two or three of the balls to make up for the lack of military personnel.

But this year, the promoters became greedy in my neck of the woods charging double for the retires that wanted to attend.

We are boycotting the balls this year, but still celebrating the real meaning of the Marines Corps birthday, while attending the celebration aboard the base that are free for all.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thanks again for starting a thread that speaks to my thoughts today.

This day more than any other "holiday" causes me to reflect and celebrate my continuing decision to return to the USA a very small interest payment on the gift of LIBERTY that suits me, my family, and my teammates, far better than any other on Earth.

This is shared not to besmirch any of the many other wonderful countries I have had pleasure of visiting and working in and for. This is also not intended to imply that I agree with or support everything that the USA does; but that I have been been and continue to be willing to offer every fiber of my being in support to the ideals and philosophies of individual liberties in the quest for LIFE, LIBERTY, and HAPPINESS.

I will also take the opportunity to honor these four that are very personal for me:
MM1 Kenny Butcher, QM1 Kevin Lundbergh, HT1 Stephen Morris and ENCS Robert Schamberger

The time indelibly etched in me with these four always serves to reinforce my resolve to continue to give my best so that all the sacrifices made by everyone they represent is not sullied by political rhetoric or greed, or religious intolerance.

I would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all those non-military citizens that serve humanity by working in fire, medical, or law enforcement, and public service such as teachers, coaches, youth and family counselors, all others that give of themselves to improve the life of strangers without expecting anything in return.

I truly believe that Robert A. Heinlein was correct when he said that given the time and opportunity, we could come to know and love that majority of mankind that is decent and just.

dum vivamus vivamus

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

There have been a few times I've asked a waitress to bring me the check of a soldier in uniform without telling him, before. I always get a lot more out of it than they do.

As have I. I get a kick out of it, and it seems the least I can do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join