It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the eye

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
so..i know evolutionists get this a lot..but i would love to hear the explanation..how do yall say the eye evolved...im only using the eye here..there are plenty of other things to do with our bodies that dont work without other parts..but how do yall say the eye formed..all at once? please say that aint it

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I would say it was created, step, by, long, step. 4 Billion years is a awful long time to spend developing anything, including a intelligent reptile LOL LOL

The eye which is a light receptor, translator must have started, with light itself, as its own inspiration. In a world absent of light could not spawn such a device because there would be no reason to do so. Some sub terrain amphibians have no eyes at all, because their world is dark, and no need for them.

My vote for the creative evolution of the eye, is by intelligent design, based in light.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

well see..the eye cant function without all the other parts..so did whatever creatures there were survive for hundreds of thousands or millions/billions of years blind..i dont know about that

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I didn't infer the eye was the first, I'm pretty sure it evolved along with all other life forms at the same time.

But now that you mentioned it, I did see a picture of something floating in space that did in fact appear to be a disembodied "eye ball" floating freely.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

very interesting pic. where did you happen to come upon this photo? is there some explanation for what it is?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by resonance

Great question. I saw a great documentary on evolution of the eye. I tried to find it for you on youboob but had no luck.

Short answer it started with some organism that developed photosensitive cells which gave it an advantage. Then it kept developing in other related creatures over billions of years until you get the current different eye designs.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

Great question. I saw a great documentary on evolution of the eye. I tried to find it for you on youboob but had no luck.

Short answer it started with some organism that developed photosensitive cells which gave it an advantage. Then it kept developing in other related creatures over billions of years until you get the current different eye designs.

You got it.
www.creationtheory.org...

The eye starts as a light-sensitive cell, which turns into a group of cells, which eventually forms a concave indentation in the surface of the organism. This concave indentation becomes more and more pronounced over time, until it becomes quite deep and various fluids tend to build up inside. Eventually, a protective/focusing cover develops. Voila! Eyeball.

At every stage in this process, the agglomeration of cells is
light sensitive and therefore useful

Here’s the science for the OP.

This one show critters that have the light spots and pinhole eyes
en.wikipedia.org...
www.pbs.org...
www.pbs.org...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

sorry to bust but how did sex evlove?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The information is out there and readily available if you actually care to understand. If you have a specific question about it, and as of yet are still unfamilar enough with the subject to know where to look - go ahead and ask. From your OP though, I get the impression that you don't really care one way or other. That this thread is more about instigating an argument or as bait for injecting your own personal beliefs under the guise of curiosity.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but it's following a pretty distinct pattern so far.

Anyhow, check this video out.

You'd actually be surprised just how poorly your eyes are at what they do. Most of what you think your eye is seeing is actually inferred and constructed by the brain. You're actually color blind outside of your immediate focal point, and image definition doesn't extend much beyond that that point either. To make matters worse, the image is backwards, upside down, and contains substantial blind-spots ta-boot. And as if that wasn't bad enough, they are only capable of detecting a very narrow band of the light spectrum. We're blind to the vast majority of photon wavelengths. You can detect IR light in the form of heat on your skin, and there is evidence of emerging tetrachomacy displayed in some women, allowing very limited detection of part of the UV spectrum.

The eye is far from a competently or intelligently designed organ in any capacity. The visual cortex in the brain is far more impressive IMO. Even so, it's not all that different than the auditory cortex. Experiments in ferret embryos to knock out their visual cortex have shown that the auditory cortex is actually capable of taking on both tasks (though at reduced capability) if prompted to early enough in development.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

That's not at all true. The human eye can function without a good deal of its parts. it may not function well without them, but it still functions. some sight is better than no sight, after all.

If the eye were "designed" then there wouldn't be so many variations on it. A designer would have picked a very good seeing mechanism, and given it to his creations with assorted modifications based on environment. Instead what we get are cuttlefish with "pinhole" eyes (basically their eye is just an adjustable hole that allows light to hit photoreceptors) sharing the same sea with squids who have complex eyes (they have a lens in their eye), and snails, which have very simple eyes - basically they can just see light and dark blobs. All three are mollusks, and I'm sure the cuttlefish and snail would both benefit greatly from having squid eyes... But they don't.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The parts of the eye evolved together over billions of years, though possibly millions of different species. Not one part at a time or all at once.

Even better questions.

Who put bible together?
When?
Why is what that guy/group complied millenia ago more believable than modern science and technology?

Its funny that creationists use the evolution of the eye as an argurement against evolution, when they themselves are blind followers. Science and technology is good enough for you guys to adapt and use; tv, comps, cars, medicine, airplanes. But when it comes evolution its wrong! wrong. wrong. wrong. WHY? The thing is you guys don't know why you believe its wrong. All you know is the church told you it was wrong, so you will look for any reason that correlates to what you have been told to believe.

Do the churches tell you who to vote for too? or do they tell you who not to vote for? That's a rhetorical question.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well the eye functions as a reciever of light, so that would be the opposite of a giver of light, like a star for instance.

Fractal Geometry of course, I like to think of them as black holes. That is essentially how they seem to function.

Pupils take in light and store it as information or data in memory.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by notsympl

Very good question, but not on this thread, please.

If you really want to discuss it, start your own thread.

No, I'm not a moderator. But I'm not an idiot either.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Nah. Black holes add photons to their mass. On the other hand, when a photon hits your eyeball, it first triggers your photoreceptors, and then it bounces off in a more or less random trajectory.

Some animals have retinas adapted to bounce light around the eyeball more efficiently to make the most of the ambient light - such as cats. But enough light at the proper angle can make human eyes reflect, too. Our eyeballs seem really effective at reflecting red and infared wafelengths, which iswhy you get "redeye" in photographs, and why people's eyes glow in IR filming.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I imagine the eye, evolved at the same time and speed that every other part of us....

I am not sure why you are implying that every other part juts magically appeared and only the eye evolved... Because that is not how it works....

It all evolved. has time went by, every cell, every atom, evolved into a better, more appropriate cell/atom to work the best according to it's environment.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
doesn't the horseshoe crab still have the old, primitive eyes? I imagine everything was like that at first

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nikobellic

The answer to your question is defiantly off topic, in fact, as far as I can "See", way off topic

But, to be fair to the greater picture, it may have a great deal to do with the formation of the eye, its just that I do not presently have the resources or expertise to "Build" the intellectual bridge that would allow you to "see" the connection.

The photo is taken from a video that is represented to be taken in our solar system that is documenting "Unknown" craft. It just so happens that this one craft appears to be a disembodied reptilian eye.

Decide for yourself: www.youtube.com...
Go to 2:02 to see the "anomaly"

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
The photo is taken from a video that is represented to be taken in our solar system that is documenting "Unknown" craft. It just so happens that this one craft appears to be a disembodied reptilian eye.

Decide for yourself: www.youtube.com...
Go to 2:02 to see the "anomaly"

Escamilla......apply a very large grain of salt.

It’s probably a Nebulae
www.blackskies.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There is no problem with evolution of the eye, all intremediate stages exist in nature today. And irreducibly complex systems can evolve:
www.talkorigins.org...
www.talkorigins.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
The parts of the eye evolved together over billions of years, though possibly millions of different species. Not one part at a time or all at once.

Even better questions.

Who put bible together?
When?
Why is what that guy/group complied millenia ago more believable than modern science and technology?

Its funny that creationists use the evolution of the eye as an argurement against evolution, when they themselves are blind followers. Science and technology is good enough for you guys to adapt and use; tv, comps, cars, medicine, airplanes. But when it comes evolution its wrong! wrong. wrong. wrong. WHY? The thing is you guys don't know why you believe its wrong. All you know is the church told you it was wrong, so you will look for any reason that correlates to what you have been told to believe.

Do the churches tell you who to vote for too? or do they tell you who not to vote for? That's a rhetorical question.

How did a question about how the eye evolved lead to a comment about god and creationism?

Kind of off topic if you ask me.

You know, there is a possibility that creationists and evolutionists are both right don't you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join