It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 'Nannobacteria' is life -- smallest thing to live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Doctors claim to have uncovered new evidence that the tiny particles known as "nannobacteria" are indeed alive and may cause a range of human illnesses. They are roughly 100 nanometres in size, (a billionth of a metre is a nanometre).

They are believed to be the cause of some forms of diseases, though which are still being discovered.
These particles were originally dismissed as 'simply too small' to be life.
Currently, it is believed that for a cell to exist and function (with DNA and proteins), it must be 140 nm across.
They previously caused controvesy when they were found in a Martian meteorite.

BBC

The existence of nannobacteria is one of the most controversial of scientific questions - some experts claim they are simply too small to be life forms.

But US scientists report they have now isolated these cell-like structures in tissue from diseased human arteries.
Their research is described in the American Journal of Physiology.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Maybe this will finally lead to the cure of the common cold...... It is amazing how much smaller things are getting. I wonder if the bacteria have their own parasites that are considered nano size in their world.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
As the article begins by say the existance of Nanobacteria is very controversial, and I tend to agree. To think its a life form is pretty far out because from what I understand Nanobacteria isn't much bigger than DNA. It that is so then it is the first life form to consist almost solely of DNA and thats where the controversy begins....

new topics

join