It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how much do we spend each year in taxes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
im just curious. i have heard we spend more than most of europe which doesnt make much sence to me being that i believe we have less social programs. im not talking about just whats pulled out of our checks, but all together what percent of our income goes to taxes? ive done some reserch and cant figure out all together what it is we end up paying, other than its way to much

the quick version of my question

if you took your yearly earnings, and then figured out how much went to taxes(income tax, sales tax, any tax that we have to pay) what would the percentage be.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by srslyguyz]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Not counting the sales tax of items which is 6.875%
As for my earnings I pay roughly 23% of my income and then anyitem purchased I pay another 6.875% for that.....
Thats what you wanted right?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
From what I have heard / read elsewhere, the entire income tax amount collected from US citizens does not even cover the interest payments on government borrowing - Federal Reserve etc.

If you have not watched the superb film "America: Freedom to Fascism" then try to do so. It's a real eye opener!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Dont forget gas taxes every time you fill up. Excise taxes on goods you purchase, 32% on a broom.

Taxes that dont appear on your receipts:

* If you want to take a romantic cruise down the Potomac River ­-- or any other U.S. waterway -- there's a $3.60 tax on anyone transported by boat.

* Here's what you pay for a flight: a 7.5% tax on a domestic ticket, a $3.60 tax for each segment of a flight and, since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a $2.50 security charge on every segment. That's in addition to a $16.10 international arrival/departure tax and a passenger-facility charge of up to $4.50.

* Fishing isn't free, either. A fisherman pays 10% of the sales price on sport-fishing equipment. Nor is archery. The federal tax on arrows is 45 cents per shaft. Quivers and broadheads are taxed at 11%.

* Buyers of handguns pay 10% of the sales price to the feds; other firearms, along with ammunition, are taxed at 11%.

* Federal tax on a pack of cigarettes was 39 cents, until Feb. 4, 2009, when it was increased to $1.01 per pack. Since Jan. 1, 2002, 44 states and the District of Columbia have increased cigarette taxes to an average of $1.23 per pack. The 39-cent-a-pack federal tobacco tax contributed $7.7 billion to the Treasury every year.

* A childhood DPT vaccine (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) has a 75-cent charge per shot, paid into a trust fund for those injured by the shot.

* Here is one the federal government rarely collects: a 2% tax on unauthorized wagering. Yes, it's on the books, and it is directed at criminal cartels. When you bet legally, there's a 25-cent tax on every bet you place.

When you're so broke you need to have creditors "forgive" debt that forgiven debt magically becomes earned income. You owe taxes on it.

It's our civic duty to be robbed at every turn.

It might be easier to name the things we do that arent taxed. Is there anything we do that isnt taxed?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
All but about 38 cents. wait a sec, I got to feed the parking meter again....All but 3 cents.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
i cant think of anything thats not taxed in some way...except maybe drugs...but if u get caught u pay ALOT of "tax" lol

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
From what I have heard / read elsewhere, the entire income tax amount collected from US citizens does not even cover the interest payments on government borrowing - Federal Reserve etc.

It isn't true. The federal government does, in fact, take in enough from its citizens to cover the interest payments. Total tax receipts in 2008 were over $2.5 trillion, including $1.1 trillion that were classified specifically as personal income taxes. Interest payments for the same fiscal year were $249 billion. Tax receipts for this year were down and I don't have the number in front of me, but I'm certain they far exceed the interest payments on the debt.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
Not counting the sales tax of items which is 6.875%
As for my earnings I pay roughly 23% of my income and then anyitem purchased I pay another 6.875% for that.....
Thats what you wanted right?

close, but not totally. i mean has any one worked out a rough estimate as to how much, including sales tax how much of your yearly earnings go towards taxes in general. i apreciate your help!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I heard all taxes hidden and not snaps up 65% of what you earn.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
it depends on where you live- state/city. I live in Chicago... we have the most expensive taxes in the US. :p and I'm a student. I don't even want to think about how much of my loans is going to taxes...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
I heard all taxes hidden and not snaps up 65% of what you earn.

if you find out where you got that info please share it! i am awful with math and dont have a full understanding of our tax situation... after watching freedom to facism i decided i could add the tax agenda to my list of things im trying to make availible to the general public. i really feel that if peopel had a write up of how horribly there being ripped off it might anger a few more people, which seems to be the only emotion getting the kind of response we need to get the u.s. back on track

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
We Americans well, typically - every nickle you have to spend on anything comes with a tax or several taxes.... I would guess, around 65% of gross, works it way back in the form of taxes....

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Uh...

Most people in the United States pay no more than 15% of their pay in taxes. Many of which pay little to no taxes AT ALL after countless deductions, falseifying take home pay and just flat out tax evasion.

I won't even get into the 95% of U.S. companies paying 0 in taxes.

My two younger brothers run their own financial firm which also does tax prep for their clients. I also help out every year during tax season because of the avalanche of work.

I cannot tell you the hundreds of people who come walking into our office and have the bloody nerve talking about how they are taxed for this and that when point in fact they payed little to no taxes and got themselves a fat rebate.

Morever I find it even more hilarious that Democrats like myself tend to have better professions and make a higher average in income and actually have to pay, and they don't complain about it.

When tax day comes it all comes down to what your taxable income is. That number comes after deductions for mortgage insurance to baby diapers, and after all that is always ends up at 15% or less.

As a Liberal die hard Democrat I can make two observations that equally piss me off.

The first is multimillionaires (especially here in South Florida) who offshore their money and pay little to no tax at all.

The other is some worthless loser who never finished high school rolling out with a 2 thousand dollar return, paying zero in taxes when all is said and done and having the absolute gaul telling me that he is buying a new watch with it.

There are problems with our tax code, but overall most people pay much less that they normally complain about.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

That's probably true of income taxes, but what about land tax and having taxes on every little frickin thing we buy? I wish I could write more things off.
I'm sure most of the rich write ridiculous things off...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

"Morever I find it even more hilarious that Democrats like myself tend to have better professions and make a higher average in income and actually have to pay, and they don't complain about it. "

i highly doubt liberals tend to make more money, why is it you all are complaining so much about needing healthcare or welfare then? congrats on being so proud of your liberal beliefs, not really sure what there is to be proud of, but thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread. your wrong in your analisis by far by the way. we are taxed for everything we purchase, my income is taxed my alcohol is taxed, everything is taxed. funny that your fine with your hard earned money going into the pockets of a few rich, but whatever.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i live in oregon. we have a very large income tax and significant property tax (just went up even though value of our properties went down) but no sales tax. but look at your fills. phone bill always has tax added in. other utilities too. i'm still fuming cause our local electricity co was bought by enron and we paid taxes (listed on the bill) that enron never paid to the government, so if a company can come up with enough exemptions, it's just an extra bit of profit even though they call it taxes. there's the gas and cigarette taxes already mentioned. of course alcohol in all its forms. do airline tickets have a tax associated with it? probably. hotel tax. of course licenses for cars, motorcycles, dogs, every conceivable type of service. business license. this doesn't count the fact that every single thing you buy or pay for has that person or company's tax factored in.

new topics

top topics

join