It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery holes in roof could be meteorites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
LARGE holes were blown in the roofs of two Grovedale homes on Saturday afternoon, baffling emergency workers and weather experts.

One couple reported hearing a loud bang, while a neighbour also heard the crashing sound about 3.30pm, The Geelong Advertiser reported.

SES and police told Sturt Court couple Tony and May Giuffre the damage was caused by an unusual weather phenomena called a microburst.

www.news.com.au...

www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...

I dont know what these are, other than interesting.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Looks like the cops are saying it was a microburst. Which is quite unusual actually

For those who dont know what a microburst is:

australiasevereweather.com...

Nice find megs, good to see we still got local events here

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
That is most definitely not a micro burst. They do much more damage than that. I have been through many and the damage can be very extensive in a rural or city area. I have seen one blow in the side of a brick department store.

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It could be that some of the Taurids are making it to Meteorite status,

spaceweather.com...

Microbursts can occur in fair weather and are called dry-microbursts, this is an Australian link,
www.weatherzone.com.au...

[edit on 10-11-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
That is most definitely not a micro burst. They do much more damage than that. I have been through many and the damage can be very extensive in a rural or city area. I have seen one blow in the side of a brick department store.

They can also do a lot less damage

The last microburst I saw was actually a dry microburst which was so ferocious it whipped up a dust storm on the gust front of a towering cumulus. They can do some damage, but they often dont do that much if any

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

We had a microburst blow through my town in CT a few years back. It most definitely does not "have" to do "more damage then this".

The one we "lived happily through" just fell a few trees and powerlines and lasted for about 15 minutes (if that).

I am sure there are more severe microbursts happening out there, but plainly stating "this was not a microburst" because "you seen them do worse" is a sure way to bumble into disinfo.

Just do not like people spreading bad facts about normal weather. It always leads to someone seeing a UFO in a cloud, or the face of the devil in the sky.

Peace with you.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

They can also do a lot less damage

The last microburst I saw was actually a dry microburst which was so ferocious it whipped up a dust storm on the gust front of a towering cumulus. They can do some damage, but they often dont do that much if any

Ok, i have never heard of a dry micro burst, I have only seen ones with really bad storms along with straightline winds and tornados.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

We had a microburst blow through my town in CT a few years back. It most definitely does not "have" to do "more damage then this".

The one we "lived happily through" just fell a few trees and powerlines and lasted for about 15 minutes (if that).

I am sure there are more severe microbursts happening out there, but plainly stating "this was not a microburst" because "you seen them do worse" is a sure way to bumble into disinfo.

Just do not like people spreading bad facts about normal weather. It always leads to someone seeing a UFO in a cloud, or the face of the devil in the sky.

Peace with you.

Im not spreading disinfo i was going off of experience, where im from we get hella bad weather during the summer including damaging microburst, straightline winds and many tornados. As i stated above i have never heard of a dry micro burst probably because its not very dry ever where im from.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Ok, i have never heard of a dry micro burst, I have only seen ones with really bad storms along with straightline winds and tornados.

Yeah dry microbursts occur usually with towering cumulus clouds (cumulus clouds which havent quite reached the point of rain or converted to cumulonimbus clouds), and they are quiote hard to see unless you are in a dry dusty area, like here in the Aussie desert, lol.

I think wet microbursts are much more spectacular though

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
On spaceweather for Sat, they say that were Halloween storms:

spaceweather.com...

On Oct. 30th, the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) near Earth tilted south, an orientation that weakens our planet's magnetic defenses against solar wind. Indeed, solar wind poured into Earth's magnetosphere and sparked an early Halloween display over Alaska.

I'm curious if this had any effect.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Yeah dry microbursts occur usually with towering cumulus clouds (cumulus clouds which havent quite reached the point of rain or converted to cumulonimbus clouds), and they are quiote hard to see unless you are in a dry dusty area, like here in the Aussie desert, lol.

I think wet microbursts are much more spectacular though

Oh yeah, they are exciting. Its also pretty cool when you see one from a distance too.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well...just so you know "making sweeping factual statements" based on your "limited experiences" surly IS spreading disinfo.

Lucky for those who are interested enough, they can read here how wrong your "eye witness expertise" is.

No harm no foul...but you may wish to pay attention to what you post as fact or not. After all, it is your credibility on the line. You may want to take better care of it while staying here.

Peace with you.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissMegs
On spaceweather for Sat, they say that were Halloween storms:

spaceweather.com...

On Oct. 30th, the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) near Earth tilted south, an orientation that weakens our planet's magnetic defenses against solar wind. Indeed, solar wind poured into Earth's magnetosphere and sparked an early Halloween display over Alaska.

I'm curious if this had any effect.

Im not sure if they had any bearing at all. I would suspect that its purely a meteorological effect only

I do recall that there was a pretty strong trough or low pressure system to the south, which bought severe weather to Victoria, NSW and also QLD. Obviously that kind of weather is needed for thunderstorms that produce microbursts

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Well...just so you know "making sweeping factual statements" based on your "limited experiences" surly IS spreading disinfo.

Lucky for those who are interested enough, they can read here how wrong your "eye witness expertise" is.

No harm no foul...but you may wish to pay attention to what you post as fact or not. After all, it is your credibility on the line. You may want to take better care of it while staying here.

Peace with you.

Explain to me how I'm supposed to know of a dry microburst when i have never heard of one. How can i search something if i never knew it existed. I just found out about a dry microburst in this thread. What i posted was factual to me until i learned different. I have gone to some storm chasing classes also, and not once did any mention of a dry microburst come up. Had i known they existed i would have question that.

Thank you Oz for pointing me in the right direction with out offending me.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
micro burst happen over areas of a few hundred to about a thousand feet,
not small like a couple feet.

unless there is downed limbs and other wind damage in the neighborhood i would believe in something like meteorites or maybe blue ice from a passing plane that shattered on impact and dried up before sunrise,

en.wikipedia.org...(aircraft)
www.upi.com...
www.post-gazette.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Look man, if you are just not getting what I am laying down...that is fine. But I really suggest you try harder to get this idea through your head.

You plainly said "this definitely was NOT a microburst" because you have been in "many". and they "do way more damage then this". That was a "factual statement" and it was absolutely wrong. It was so wrong that someone beat me to telling you how wrong you are.

As for this whole "how was I supposed to know about dry bursts", point being "research your answer" before you make a factual statement that could wrongly bring someone down the wrong path...or...just do not make factual statements.

You could have easily used the terminology of "I think" or "in my opinion". But no...you used "surly not" and "this is not".

Now...lets add that the microburst I was in was a "wet microburst"...tons of rain. It did no real damage...two trees went down for the entire town. Now...saying "how was I supposed to know about dry bursts" is irrelevant to the point I am making.

The point is this...you are no expert on microburts (as much as I am not), so unless you do not care about having "zero credibility" in future subjects you may post within...you may want to be a bit more meticulous in your information sharing.

Why?

Because "denying ignorance" should not only be a catch phrase, but also everyone's job on this entire site. Disinfo is a cancer and leads fools down hallways of foolishness.

Make sense? Or are you still going to act as if "making false statements claimed as fact" is ok as long as "you didn't know what you were talking about"?

Sorry man...but it is a serious pet peeve with me. I do not enjoy people making factual statements that are seriously bankrupt on facts.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Could also be Blue-Ice from passing overhead Aircraft.

Im assuming were talking about just the one (or two) houses here, so its not a state-wide thing of these holes in the roofs which immediately disproves Hail.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Look man, if you are just not getting what I am laying down...that is fine. But I really suggest you try harder to get this idea through your head.

You plainly said "this definitely was NOT a microburst" because you have been in "many". and they "do way more damage then this". That was a "factual statement" and it was absolutely wrong. It was so wrong that someone beat me to telling you how wrong you are.

As for this whole "how was I supposed to know about dry bursts", point being "research your answer" before you make a factual statement that could wrongly bring someone down the wrong path...or...just do not make factual statements.

You could have easily used the terminology of "I think" or "in my opinion". But no...you used "surly not" and "this is not".

Now...lets add that the microburst I was in was a "wet microburst"...tons of rain. It did no real damage...two trees went down for the entire town. Now...saying "how was I supposed to know about dry bursts" is irrelevant to the point I am making.

The point is this...you are no expert on microburts (as much as I am not), so unless you do not care about having "zero credibility" in future subjects you may post within...you may want to be a bit more meticulous in your information sharing.

Why?

Because "denying ignorance" should not only be a catch phrase, but also everyone's job on this entire site. Disinfo is a cancer and leads fools down hallways of foolishness.

Make sense? Or are you still going to act as if "making false statements claimed as fact" is ok as long as "you didn't know what you were talking about"?

Sorry man...but it is a serious pet peeve with me. I do not enjoy people making factual statements that are seriously bankrupt on facts.

I admitted i was wrong, what more do you want. geez back off already. Maybe if you went about it like Oz did i wouldn't continue on about it. I was explaining my experience that's all, excuse me. So its a pet peev of yours thats fine and dandy but explain it with out offending. I also stated it was fact to ME until i learned differently from Oz.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Wait...you were offended? Why? Was I not gentle or something? Is there a "soothing" way to point out a grave error on behalf of ignorance?

*sigh*

I don't get it...ok carry on. I think you got the point and I don't want to derail this thread any further

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Wait...you were offended? Why? Was I not gentle or something? Is there a "soothing" way to point out a grave error on behalf of ignorance?

*sigh*

I don't get it...ok carry on. I think you got the point and I don't want to derail this thread any further

It was offencive because you were accusing me of spreading disinfo when i wasn't, all i did was state my experience wrong. Yes there is a civil way to tell someone they are wrong. Oz is a perfect example of it, but im done with you...

PEACE!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join