It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inklings

page: 1

join
share:
arc

posted on Feb, 23 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
hello and my apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere (I'm a noob), but I was wondering if anyone here knows whether the members of the Inklings, in particular CS Lewis and Tolkien were masons?

I'm trying to apply some of what I have learnt to old favourites on my bookcase. I've always seen the somewhat spiritual connitations of both the Narnia chronicles and the LOTR, now I'm wondering if there is more behind it.

posted on Feb, 23 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
many pieces of medium will have similar philosophical connotations without any specific connection. althought teh sillymarillion was referred to a few times in the illuminatus trilogy

arc

posted on Feb, 23 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
yeah I'd agree with you about the lack of connection. There is wide spread evidence that the narnia books did contain much of Lewis's own christian beliefs but there is no overt references to god in LOTR.

Still curious as to the authors own masonic links though

I didn't know about the illuminatus trilogy and will be looking into that one - thanks

Another author whose affiliations I am curious about is John Crowley whose Littlebig abounds with cabbalistic symbolism

posted on Feb, 24 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i think you mean aleistar crowley

arc

posted on Feb, 24 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
not at all - I'm very definite about it being John

Amazon website

posted on Feb, 25 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
None.

As I recall from various biographies, he was quiet and scholarly and didn't go out much. And if he was Mason, the Masons themselves would have made a big announcement or fuss about it.

arc

posted on Feb, 26 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Byrd I agree with you about his personal habits, but if he was a mason, and masons are a secretive bunch not willingly admitting who is a member, then I can't see them publising the fact to everyone

new topics

top topics

join