It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State to 'spy' on every phone call, email and web search

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The goverment has been doing this for many years now.The phone calls and emails would have there own word reconition protocols to be recorded when red flag words are mentioned in phone calls and e mails.Web search acts the same way but the goverment has different protocols for web search.Any unidentified words,nubmbered sequence and places are also recorded.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
AAaaahhhhhh ...... animal farm .... we're living within it!!!

Everybody should read Animal Farm!!!!! Bet the pollies have and that's how they learned their tricks.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I would say, unless you raise a red flag and aren't a threat, it is no ones business what you talk about. Boy, that's some real trust Big Brother has on it's citizens. LOL

I would say, if it was implemented everyone should band together and start talking like terrorists on the phone and through communications. All the time. Talk about blowing up buildings in every conversation, or killing massive amounts of people. Give Big Brother the FU. You want to spy on us, good, we will give you something to listen to. You gonna throw everyone in the country in jail for being a terrorist? Maybe Big Brother would get the point then.

I mean, seriously, are we supposed to run through life not trusting anyone? That's a horrible future. Security is one thing, but you can go overboard with it.

Troy

[edit on 11-11-2009 by cybertroy]

[edit on 11-11-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

##### Encrypted: decrypt with www.fourmilab.ch...
?HX?839e42f1e4b45f074b9764c04656bc1a433e3792f6a9f5ff659451a844c8
57e2b481bccf75bb9663bcd5be50d1a21026eb3ea92a73fd76bbe05fa195ad7d
d4a533022dca1f5b171f61b38b9ae7e0d339a04e92e904887398d1c4a1bb857f
3861eb13f62b4be331c13ccc566abf8df1381d7f165681aaff0c6a46df96e329
939ad8d68dcf9db4fcc685443439ccb1421590172de6f24df5ce939a5c2e2b07
940f38cd1191d41c4bb7bd37d16f91ec895fee400580e4e5d1680ff50ccd7637
70be?H
##### End encrypted message

I'm just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
They've flip-flopped...

Ministers cancel 'Big Brother' database

Hey,

They did this simply on PR value alone so as to not tar the Queens speech with their big brother brush. Also to try and win a few points for Labour for the upcoming elections (for those that still believe that elections are fair).
They will continue this after the election and anyone who thinks that the Conservatives will change it are wrong (imo). The fact that they will continue it after the election just goes to show how the real power knows that the Conservatives have no choice but to continue this.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Boy, that's some real trust Big Brother has on it's citizens. LOL

Do you trust them? Leave your windows and doors open and unlocked when you go to work tomorrow and you'll wish you had your own big brother surveillance system too. Now, with that said, I fear government FAR MORE than some crackhead looking to steal any of my stuff. In fact, it is government that has jacked me far FAR more than any citizen has (directly of course, because we all know many rob us via our taxes).

It is US that should be tracking what our government is doing, tracking, tracing, and logging all THEY do. Of course, they would never allow and tolerate that, right? And, thus one is left to wonder WHY?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowScholar
reply to post by kayne1982

Not to burst any bubbles but this has operated for years and is known as the Echelon system.
It appears this is just a legal gateway for authorities outside of the intelligence community to access this information also.
Running Echelon requires far fewer people than you'd think, as it uses voice and data recognition software to scan communications and then flags them if they hit certain key words and phrases.
One of the key words in the uk is 'queen' you say that on a phone call or in an email and it gets recorded.
In the british security services the code word for the queen used to be (and may still be) 'purple heart' so I assume that is also a flag.
You can test the operational efficiency of this program by sending texts which would include certain keywords you think they'd pick up.
If you include enough key words your mobile will not send the message, normal messages will still go through.
Basically any information you send is already collected, collated and scanned within seconds of you sending it

This is why for a few years now me and a few friends have started messing with TPTB by starting every phone conversation, text and email with words like Allah, bomb, Jihad, holy war, etc and then just continue to have a normal conversation about what we did at the weekend or whatever. If they want to listen to our ramblings, then let them flag them.

If everyone did this, the system would simply not work, because they would have to monitor everyone, which is impossible.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Personally, I live with the assumption that everything I do online will be analyzed. They've been telling me since before there was an internet worth mentioning that the federal government was listening to my phone conversations; I didn't always believe it, because even if there had been a giant Carnivore or Echelon system listening in on our phone calls, what poor schmuck was gonna separate the real stuff from the millions of times that me and my buddies said "bomb" and "president" just in the context of "hey if they are listening, this will freak them out" It didn't seem possible back then. But now, the voice recognition software, the processing power, the search algorithms- they're all here now. Ten years later- well less than the gap between when the government gets something of SR-71 importance and when it admits having it- not only do "They" but also The Private Sector have everything they'd need to read it all, index it all by the groups of people involved and the verbal context, sift those results for actual intel, etc. There's even software which exists for the explicit purpose of analyzing what you do online and using that to decide how to make you buy/believe a certain thing- you've probably got several such programs on your computer right now and you don't even want them- how's that for proliferation?

So, even if we just pretend for a few moments that the government is not at least a decade ahead of the civilian sector and is not the least bit interested in our lives, we're still left in a world where there exists the means, motive, and opportunity for others to analyze our online business in the private sector.

Google is working on artificial intelligence, and this stuff is going to rely on learning how the human brain contextualizes discrete bits of knowledge. Am I really to believe that they don't have ANY interest then in storing and analyzing the way I search for related concepts? And that's only on the most basic level. If I were going to have an artificially intelligent internet, I'd want it to open up all kinds of new doors, and the best way to do that is just to give it ALL of the data and give it all the time it needs to look for patterns. How do I know that one day google won't read every single one of my posts in chronological order just trying to figure out how a conspiracy theorists' mind works? I don't- that could happen. It makes perfect sense to do and sooner or later I'd get around to that if I owned a company that was trying develop AI. It might even correlate the dirty jokes I tell to my taste in adult sites in a misguided attempt to learn something about human sexuality (god bless the Internet- upon the dawn of AI it will become the only Entity nerdy enough to learn anything from me on the subject of sex).

So yeah, I just live under the assumption that sooner or later I'm going to answer for all of this. But truth be told, I kind of enjoy it. There are things I don't do- I don't download faces of death or google how to build a nuclear weapon or dumb stuff like that- but it doesn't bother me that one day a machine might pick up all of my lies, all of my inconsistencies, all of my bad logic, and of course my mnay mnay tpyos.

One thing that took me a long time to learn (and I still have difficulty living by it) is that I'm really not that different from everyone else. We assume that we are particularly shy, or insecure, or unforgiving, or perverse, or whatever, but statistically, almost none of us are significantly removed from the the rest of the pack. The most perverse individual you know: Probably a 75-80 percentile pervert. The biggest jerk you know: Probably a 60th-75th percentile jerk.
So even if I'm every bit as bad in every bit as many ways as I might think, even if the computer can understand that and single me out, there simply aren't enough "normal" people to adequately shame both me and everyone worse than me.

And likewise, from the conspiracy angle, there will never be enough watchers to monitor much less punish everyone like us. I wouldn't go planning my counter-NWO resistance online in detail or anything, because yeah they will read it if you ever become a problem and then it definitely won't work, but short of that, what's to worry about? They can't arrest everyone who commits a thought-crime.

In a way, I look forward to the day that AI can really crunch the numbers on all of our searching- hopefully past as well as present, and I just hope that SOMEBODY out there does it with honest numbers (i know we will be lied to by the first one to do it on a large for-profit basis), because I think it will do away with a lot of lies we tell eachother. It will be like opening up the collective unconscious of the last several decades. Suddenly, hopefully without names attatched, we'll have the numbers on all the subversive, prurient, and criminal stuff that we never knew was near us when statistically we probably knew several people who were into it. It will be a pivotal and dangerous moment for the social contract.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Does this really surprise anyone?

People are quick to forget, we have an unelected government right now and yet people are still arguing about politics and speculating on whether this is a dictatorship? Fact is fact.

If they said on tv that they were going to shoot every single citizen of the UK, we would all still be arguing about whats going on etc.

You would be as well having this in the house of commons, its a joke and it is insulting that they continue to pretend we are in some form of democracy...

[edit on 11-11-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The kind of thing the OP is referring to is really about human psychology, not terrorism. It's about security, but only in a hysterical, paranoiac sense.

In Toronto we have extensive anti-smoking laws. Absurd anti-smoking laws. We can't even light up on an open-air bus station platform. The reason? The growing population of frightened hysterical nitwits who have been convinced that catching a whiff of second hand smoke in a situation like that is going to be dangerous to their health.

This situation and the one in the UK is really about the dumbing down of populations and the power of propaganda. These situations, and the garbage classifying and recycling regimes, the global warming/carbon footprint agendas, the micro-chipping of children and livestock and so on are all part of a rising tide of authoritarianism that is sweeping through the industrialized world.

Any one of these issues could have realistic consequences and be a legitimate cause for concern. I'm not saying that the issues (pick one) at the root of such authoritarian phenomena are not things we should address and deal with. What I am saying is that there is a disturbing pattern to how they are being addressed.

I call it "creeping fascism", but you might just as well refer to it as creeping totalitarianism. It's a relentless intrusion of state rules and laws into the private lives of individuals.

Here in Nanny-da (Ontario, Canada) during the past summer, a kid was killed in a highway accident when the car he and a bunch of his friends were travelling in went out of control. The victim's father then went on a personal crusade to make sure that this never happened to another family. He started to push for legislation to limit the number of passengers that young drivers could have in the car.

In full creeping fascism/totalitarianism mode, the provincial government began to seriously consider bringing in such legislation. Fortunately this process was brought to a screeching halt by howls of protest, emanating from all directions, not the least of which was the younger segment of the premier's own family, who reminded Dad of the "designated driver" initiative that has undoubtedly saved thousands of lives, but which would be crippled by the proposed legislation.

Chalk one up for common sense.

Nazism was a psychological phenomenon more than anything else. It is the classic case of pervasive state intervention on every level. The top Nazi, Adolf Hitler, baby-sitter-in-chief of Germany, was a "green", an anti-smoker, and a vegetarian.

The great thing about the example of Nazi Germany is that you can see all the benefits of unrestrained state/corporate interventionism and all the costs.

Wake up over there in Blighty, and everywhere else too!! Take the soothers out of your mouths. Time to be adults now. Time to put the boots to Nanny.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
While this sounds very Orwellian, I think the true purpose of this might be slightly more benign. I'm pretty sure the government wants all this information because they are selling it as market research to large corporations willing to pay large amounts of money for such detailed customer statistics as this.

There was an article inferring as much but I can't remember where i read it.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
"in god we trust, everything else we monitor"

GOD: Gold Oil Drugs... nuff said

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They also can pull up what you watched on your Cable box. The newer cable boxes actually record everything you watched & when and for how long. This is mostly used for advertisers looking for trends but also can be used to get a "Profile" on someone. The UK is finally catching up to the US on spying on their own people.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Probably are already, we are all filmable in out own homes from satellite, literally, like infra red.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by theabsolutetruth]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I baked some chips today. They have sugar fishes on the left of the Mercedez. But watch out because the manbearpig is pigbearman.

Pass it on

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Molan27

Somewhat true. Depends on the box and what service you have subscribed to.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

The FLIR camera can do this with some success on a local level in neighborhoods. From space? No, that's too much. Cameras in space can read license plates though.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

BBC TV, scary stuff, I watched two episodes of it.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Oh boy... whatever happened to personal privacy and basic human rights.. I am all for security and preventing bad things from happening, but this is just tad bit too much..

I loved Orwell's 1984 (the girl there sounded.. umm interesting.. btw
) .. but I'de hate to see it coming true.. yikes..

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I once asked someone in the diplomatic corps, what do you think about intelligence as a professional? What is an intelligence professional?

I was interested and surprised by the response.

The answer was, well, let me tell you what a diplomat is. A diplomat is someone that can tell another person to go to hell and make them look forward to the trip.

An intelligence officer is someone who can tell another person to go to hell and has the means to deliver them to that track.

Director of National Intelligence Mr. Mike McConnell

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join