It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you see in the mirror?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
From the article:
"Mirrors have a certain mystique about them, which gives rise to beliefs, magic, myths, legends and superstitions.
Amongst many things they have been seen as a “tool of the devil”, a “catcher” of the soul, a harbinger of things to come, a portal to another dimension and a source of bad luck.
But what are these beliefs myths and superstitions and where do they come from?"

The Mystique, Magic, Myths and Superstitions of Mirrors

What do you see when you look into a mirror?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by seamjay

Mirrors, reflective crystals or water are the oldest tool of shamanic trance. Often the copy of the self was so disturbing that twins were (and are sometimes still) regarded as evil.
In academia we talk of "alterity". For example, a racist actually suppresses a view of him/herself as unworthy when he/she makes racist comments. The stigmatizing gaze of the "self" therefore "others" the target. Therefore, partially, prejudice and stigma are always a reflective situation. This is also evident in homophobia.
When the break of alterity reaches too far, we may experience hysteria and anxiety.
Often the reflection may be social: so in Western countries currently fatness or thinness are reaching morbid proportions, which reflects on global hunger, addiction and disease. However, the direct links are like a smashed mirror, a blow to the collective unconsciousness.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by seamjay

Originally posted by seamjay
What do you see when you look into a mirror?

I see a human ruin that has grown too old thinking that he actually knows something and who then ruined himself in order to build anew.

-v

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Well... believe it or not You are in great shape

because... 'mirrors' produce 'Reverse' images...

If you had seen a handsome, robust, seductive, happy-go-lucky form in the mirror's reversed image... then that would be the lie, the deception,
the 'real' gargoyle. and the confirmation that 'evil' exists beyond-the-looking-glass.

as it is, one must keep the majic & deceptions of the mirror world at a ephemeral level --- in other words, do not dwell in that sphere of influence,
use the 3 dimensional mirror as a utilitarian device -> not as a 'portal'

i myself have always seen a 'characture' whenever i have consciously stared into the mirror in a defiant way....
the reflection could even be described as a grotesque characture ...
but this is a ploy by the powers and principalities not of the flesh & blood world.

but you already knew this...
the post was for the other readers, thanks

[edit on 10-11-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

When I see most modern culture it is about narcisism.
People become consumed by their 15 minutes of fame, so celebrities try to do good and end up in some sect.
Well, whatever befalls celebrities will spread in society, because the mirror has two faces.
That is bringing in some ancient belief in Janus.
Whenever we talk about karma, atheism (nothingness) or hell we are talking about ourselves at that moment, because life doesn't allow us to deal with ourselves, and "hell" is a problem recognized too late.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Mirrors are a tool to make ourselves presentable to society in the way that we desire. They help us achieve our "look" and "glamor"

The metaphysical superstition is rooted in spiritual development. The fear being that a person can become obsessed with their glamor, their look, and how others perceive them rather than focus inwardly on developing who they are and how they see themselves. There are also places in meditational awareness that the individual encounters numerous reflections of their Ego, which can prove to be a fatal distraction for those who decide to seek on the path.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

"In academia we talk of "alterity". For example, a racist actually suppresses a view of him/herself as unworthy when he/she makes racist comments."

Whenever we talk about karma, atheism (nothingness) or hell we are talking about ourselves at that moment, because life doesn't allow us to deal with ourselves, and "hell" is a problem recognized too late.

These two statements paint a beautiful picture. Despite the fact that racism is often caused by social and economic factors more than by real psychological problems, this is true about the reflective nature of consciousness.

However what do you think your reflecting back upon yourself when you follow up a relatively sane statement about karma, atheism and hell, with a statement claiming that Life Itself does NOT allow us to deal with ourselves, and hell is a problem recognized to late? These would be true for you perhaps, if you choose to let them continue to be true, but they are not empirical statements of fact.

Life has given us all we need to deal with life (working limbs, a mind that works, memory...) she holds nothing back save what you hold back from yourself, and condemns you to nothing save but what you have condemned yourself to. Nor is it ever to late to realize this so long as your still capable of realization.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seamjay

What do you see in the mirror?

I see a reflection of a reflection. Light reflecting from my body is reflected back at me. In sum, I see what everyone looking at my physical appearance sees.

Mirrors are the simplest of tools, applying no particular magic and no sophisticated science. Other things... like a pool of water or polished metal will offer something of the same effect.

Mirrors are good gadgets for fixing one's hair or applying make-up. But for delving within?

To do this, you need more than a mirror. You need the will to face down what awaits you when you get there and very few of us have that.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seventhdoor

Originally posted by halfoldman

"In academia we talk of "alterity". For example, a racist actually suppresses a view of him/herself as unworthy when he/she makes racist comments."

These two statements paint a beautiful picture. Despite the fact that racism is often caused by social and economic factors more than by real psychological problems, this is true about the reflective nature of consciousness.

However what do you think your reflecting back upon yourself when you follow up a relatively sane statement about karma, atheism and hell, with a statement claiming that Life Itself does NOT allow us to deal with ourselves, and hell is a problem recognized to late? These would be true for you perhaps, if you choose to let them continue to be true, but they are not empirical statements of fact.

Life has given us all we need to deal with life (working limbs, a mind that works, memory...) she holds nothing back save what you hold back from yourself, and condemns you to nothing save but what you have condemned yourself to. Nor is it ever to late to realize this so long as your still capable of realization.

Firstly, I do not expect everyone to share my current position - heavenly or hellish as it may be in MY mirror. As far as "life" goes, I think it throws things out of the mirror at us. As long as things are going good we can balance it. Strange, I've just had a book called "The Secret History of the World", and it says that whatever we fear most will come our way.
Perhaps we can bind our fears to an extent, but currently individual existential fear is bound with social hysteria, a madness that will increase until 2012.
This is what irks our own collective reflection: although nothing might happen 2012, we feel like it should - we are not happy or satisfied.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

To do this, you need more than a mirror. You need the will to face down what awaits you when you get there and very few of us have that.

You're right.

Let me give it a try.

My god.

I'm gorgeous!

top topics

join