It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White pointers,crocodiles protected......WHY ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
In Australia , white pointer sharks and crocodiles are protected by law .

These two predators are at the top of their respective food chains .

Their only natural enemies are their own kind .

They are both dangerous to be around .

Their protection has seen their numbers increase dramatically .

Why protect these left over dinosaurs , yet ignore the thousands

of species that deserve protection . Is this another example of

stupidity in action ?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I don't think it's stupid to protect ancient animals, especially when humans are hunting creatures for sport.

But i do see what you're saying about other animals needing protection.

tricky one.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Can you tell us which animals need protection that are not currently under protection?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
These creatures certainly need protection, as do all other creatures.

If you are looking for the meanest creatures at the top of the food chain, take a look at mankind.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm thinking the theory is that we don't really know what a species is good for, until it's gone. For example, I don't like bees. They sting, they are annoying. OK, I'm afraid of them. So why protect them? Well, we know that bees are helpful in pollinating plants, which helps ensure more food for us. So, OK, leave the bees alone.

Sharks and crocs, well, we don't know exactly what good they are. None, if you happen to get eaten by one. But maybe they ensure that some other dangerous or annoying animal doesn't get out of control.

In Australia, you know how dangerous it is to have an animal with no natural enemies. Look at all the rabbits you guys made. There's no one to eat them, keep their numbers down, so they breed like crazy and eat your crops.

So, if the sharks or crocs were extinct, maybe there's something that would then multiply without restraint, possibly wiping out food fish, or causing some other sort of havoc. I know in Florida alligators (also once protected) occasionally take out a chihuahua, so they do have their uses.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
IUCN lists 46, 677 endangered plants ,animals and insects ,this year

sorry I'm not going to list them individually ,but I'm sure they are ALL

more deserving of protection than dirty great crocs and sharks .

People are already protected by law , but you wouldn't think so !!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

All indigenous animals should be protected, I thought you may have had some examples of animals that are not currently protected that should be.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Because in order to protect a species, any species, you have to protect the whole ecosystem it is part of. As top predators, crocodiles perform an important function in assuring the health of their ecosystem.

Besides, there are no "good" animals and "bad" animals, they all deserve protection equally. It is not for us to decide which species is more valuable than other.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Haggis. Has to be the Haggis. Every year they are murdered by thousands of insane Scots.

They must be getting rare though. Not seen one in the Wild for years.

www.electricscotland.com...

[edit on 10-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I wasn't aware that haggis was alive , and personally it makes me wonder how you STAY alive after eating one !

...... could say the same thing about most meat pies though !!!

[edit on 10-11-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

very simple answer.
These Animals are the top of the food chain in their respective enviroment.
When Great white sharks where protected, commercial fishing started to recover due to the fact that sharks ate the seals who ate the fish.
so long the shark was held responsible from lack of education of these magnificent animals.
These animals are not dangerous to intelligent people, swim in crocodile waters and you get eaten, Darwin had a theory about this, natural selection.

Take away these apex preditors and the domino effect takes place.
Lack of knowledge about the life of these creatures is what is dangerous, some beaurocrat in an office passing laws on removal of so called dangerous crocodiles with no real knowledge of these animals.
But it wins votes from the blind followers of the screaming minority

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
We have croc farms , so they are NOT endangered !

... and try catching a 6 metre white shark ... good luck

they are NOT endangered !

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What is the one animal that there is no shortage of on this planet?

How do you know she is a witch?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
...(I checked the Search,this subject has been covered here on ATS,pretty extensively,too!)

It's very likely part of the U.N.s Agenda 21 plan. Through "protecting the environment/saving the species,they are just saying that land is off limits for humans. It's pretty sneaky. I would guarantee this is happening in every state,in every city this very moment,in one form or another. When I saw how deep these roots go,I thought,"We're sunk."

soldierforliberty.wordpress.com...

This contains alot more info than you'll want to go through all at once,but it is a good reminder!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
They deserve to be protected because they have a special niche in the food chain. Each and every animal is important to this Earth and serves a unique function. It took mother nature millions of years to get the balance right.

If you believe others need to be protected, then do something proactive about it and stop whining about these incredible animals you seem to show ignorance towards.

IRM :shk:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Man! This happens with almost every link I try to post lately!..."Page Not Found" !!!(Even if I've just been there to know it's still up and running!)

Oh well,you get the message!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I think the message the op is stating is that there protected when they arent rare as once thought. Also I thought it was rather dubious where they looked for those sharks to lobby for protected status, they knew where they would be at certain times of year and they didnt look there. There has been so many sitings of massive great whites in my area because there chasing salmon on the beaches a few years ago the canneries almost wiped out the salmon population so the sharks went else where now the salmon are back so are the sharks. I also have a major problem with the industries that use these sharks for business (swim with great white sharks) they burley up to bring in the sharks then at the end of the burley theres humans, stupidity!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
What? Humans are at the top of the food chain overall and we don't need protection from murderers? rapists? homicidal maniacs?

I really think this is a dumb question to ask as people who would think like this would not want to protect our beautiful and precious ecosystem.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Hey Lizard, Sad what happened to your thread. If you haven't seen it yet have a look at mine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best to start on page four with the updated original post.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by PaulKCA]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

most logical answer.. ever.

2nd line for greater kudos

<<   2 >>

join