It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.Korean/N. Korean Navies Exchange Gunfire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

S.Korean/N. Korean Navies Exchange Gunfire

www.google.com

Yonhap news agency says navies of 2 Koreas exchange fire off west coast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What is to become of this? Just another clash or something more... Guess well just have to stay tuned to the newswires and see what happens with this... Thats all the news story says so its very new and maybe even still happening, who knows.... This could be very big, or like i said just another clash stay tuned...

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Good Find Smedley , I wonder what's to come?... Going to the kitchen for some redenbacher.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Navies of 2 Koreas exchange fire

By HYUNG-JIN KIM (AP) – 12 minutes ago

SEOUL, South Korea — Navy ships of the two Koreas exchanged fire Tuesday along their disputed western sea border, a South Korean military officer said.

A South Korean warship shot at a North Korean navy ship that crossed the disputed western sea border on Tuesday morning and the North's ship shot back, said an officer at the Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The officer, speaking on condition of anonymity citing department policy, said it was not immediately known whether there were any causalities.

Navies of the two Koreas have fought deadly skirmishes along the western sea border in 1999 and 2002.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
that seems to be pretty much all the available information at the moment...

news.bbc.co.uk...
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...
www.upi.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I imagine thats it. China will tell NK to stand down and the US will tell SK to do likewise. Event over.

Good find though.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They take potshots at each other just to make it all seem like a real standoff. Not a big deal.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Those two need to just throw it down, fight it out, and get it settled once and for all. My money is on the South. I would say they could take the North in about a week or two.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
Those two need to just throw it down, fight it out, and get it settled once and for all. My money is on the South. I would say they could take the North in about a week or two.

i agree, they need to stop this cold war bull and just throwdown... i too give a slight edge to the south koreans because of south korean tech and the north korean civilians lack of support for thier "dear leader" in the long run...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Yeah I think once the north were allowed to cross the border to fight they would surrender and defect to the South. Well at least once they realize that the South actually gets to eat and be warm in the winter.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It has been my experience that when so little information is given, it was an unexpected turn of events.

Our 'position' on the matter is in the development tank as we speak.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This sort of thing happens all the time, been happening as long as I can remember.

And no, you really don't want things to get hot over there, you really don't. While the South would most likely win, the pain would be exceedingly high: you can scratch Seoul for starters. It would take the North about an hour to get there, and last I checked, not much could stop them. When it comes to brute force, thy're pretty brutal.

Not that they could prevail, but they could reduce the south to a copy of the North.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
South Korea probably playing games in uninvited water......
NK would never strike 1st otherwise.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

they dont really happen all the time:

2002: The Second Battle of Yeonpyeong was a confrontation between North Korean and South Korean patrol boats along a disputed boundary near Yeonpyeong Island in the Yellow Sea in 2002. Two North Korean patrol boats crossed the contested border and engaged two South Korean patrol boats. The North Koreans were forced to withdraw when South Korean reinforcements arrived. Thirteen North Koreans were killed and twenty five wounded while six South Korean sailors died and an additional eighteen were wounded. The damaged South Korean craft later sunk while under tow, in contrast the damaged North Korean vessel was able limp its way back to port.

1999: The First Battle of Yeonpyeong was a skirmish between naval units of North and South Korea. It did little to settle the dispute about control of the area and was an embarrassment to the North Korean regime. South Korean casualties: 1 corvette lightly damaged, 1 patrol boat lightly damaged, 7 WIA. North Korean casualties: June 9th, 4 patrol boats damaged. June 15th 1 torpedo boat sunk, 1 patrol boat heavily damaged, 4 patrol boats damaged, 30 KIA - 70 WIA

1998: The Action of 17 December 1998 was a naval battle that began when the South Korean military intercepted a North Korean semi-submersible vessel attempting to land commandos on the South Korean coast. North Korea lost 1 semi-submersible sunk and 4 dead

1996: The 1996 Gangneung submarine infiltration incident occurred on September 18, 1996, near the South Korean town of Gangneung. A 49-day long manhunt ensured, from 18 September through 5 November, resulting in the capture or elimination of all the crew and members of the reconnaissance team, except one, who is believed to have made it back to North Korea. 16 South Korean soldiers and civilians died and 27 were wounded. Of the 26 North Korean infiltrators, 1 was captured, 11 were murdered by the other members or died from a murder-suicide, 13 were killed in firefights with the ROK Army, and 1 reportedly escaped back to North Korea.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Navy patrol boats of North and South Korea exchanged fire in disputed waters off the western coast of the Korean Peninsula on Tuesday, leaving a North Korean vessel heavily damaged, the South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.

The damaged patrol boat retreated to North Korea, according to the news agency, which quoted an anonymous government source in Seoul.

There were no casualties on the South Korean side, Yonhap reported

“It’s true that there was an exchange of fire, and we plan to reveal details later,” an officer at the South Korean military’s Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 9-11-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
main headline on BBC news now. sounds worrying!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

A South Korean warship fired a shot at a North Korean vessel which had crossed the demarcation line off the countries' western coast, officials said. The North Korean ship was seriously damaged, before it sailed back into its territorial waters

Be interesting to see if anything else brews up from this over the next few days.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The story I am reading www.nytimes.com...
claims it was two high speed patrol boats that exchanged fire. IMO, simply the usual NK drama before a U.S. Dignitary visit to the area...The President is travelling to Asia in a week or so. Nothing to lose sleep over.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
N Korea took the hit.

Update:

[QUOTE]SEOUL (AFP) - A North Korean patrol boat was badly damaged as the navies of North and South Korea exchanged fire on Tuesday, officials said, heightening tensions in one of the world's most sensitive military flashpoints[/QUOTE].

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
S+F

Quite interesting. Let alone these types of events have occurred before. But now NK being a nuclear power might have more confidence in facing the south. Waiting to find out how this develops...

This could also have been a retaliation.

North Korea accused its neighbour last month of sending warships across the border to stir tensions and warned the "reckless military provocations" could trigger armed clashes.

Sky News Link

[edit on 10/11/09 by asen_y2k]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Interesting development. Kim will be able to have a little fit on television this week.

But let's not be fooled. NK does have about 10 thousand artillery positions pointed directly at Seoul.

I read a report once which said they could get about 600 thousand casualties in just a few hours.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join