It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Road Signs to Intelligent Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
From Space.com

A new study has found that the most probable place to find intelligent life in the galaxy is around stars with roughly the mass of the sun, and surface temperatures between 5,300 and 6,000 Kelvin (9,100 and 10,300 degrees Fahrenheit) - in fact, stars very similar to our own sun.

What I found especially intriguing was :

Indeed, sun-like stars seem to have the right balance: They are of high enough mass that they are more likely to host habitable planets, but they are of low enough mass that they live long enough for intelligent life to develop, and are not extremely scarce. Whitmire estimates that 10 percent of the Milky Way's stars might fall into the category they've outlined. This would still leave over 10 billion candidate stars in the Milky Way alone.

As we know, we reside in the Milky Way galaxy, which is just one of 3000 visible galaxies (although there are an estimated 125 billion that we cannot see by conventional means).

As interesting as this all is though, I'm assuming the researchers are using what we know to be intelligent life as a the norm rather than the exception. Remember, a short time ago (time relative to how long us humans have been around anyway) we hardly thought that things could live in the pools of Yellowstone or under intense pressure at the bottom of the seafloor, yet they do!

Oh well, one step closer and another piece if the puzzle I guess.

Your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
We are not alone, it doesn't matter about that we cannot prove they are visiting, only an imbecile would say we are alone!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The way I see it that is all crap, and horribly arrogant to assume nothing else in the whole vast universe (multiverse(s)?) can have life unless it conforms to conventional life on Earth.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
The way I see it that is all crap, and horribly arrogant to assume nothing else in the whole vast universe (multiverse(s)?) can have life unless it conforms to conventional life on Earth.

Nodding agreement

They dont even say more likely to be the cradle of life, or intelligent life as we know it!

Is it a rule that good scientists cannot be allowed an imagination, or is it a law of nature?
Also odd that they should pronounce on such things as exobiology based on a little bit of research into astrophysics

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld

What is all crap exactly? And arrogant? If anything, the researchers are looking for a more methodical way in finding life. Do you know where to begin a search for life in non conforming (as we know it) ways? I haven't a clue, except for up close and personal exploration, which isn't yet possible.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Juston
I take your point as to the exploration and research, but I think there is evidence of intelligent life much closer to home, I have seen it myself (I will be posting some soon!) and I don't think it resembles us in any appreciable way.
I think if astronomers are looking for earth type planets, they are likely to find earth type life, intelligent or otherwise, if the distances involved are not too great!
There are many of us who think the 'search' is looking way too far away, and is, frankly pointless because its doomed to be speculative.
(I'm sorry, but this is a conspiracy forum, after all!)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Its just so funny to be in a world where the vastness of space is projected in numbers.
So many galaxies
that many stars etc etc
damn i thought our science was a step beyond that.
Not to mention that the likely hood of it being similar to ours to exist and work doesn t need a jeanius to tell.
Damn. I thought we were just a bit better.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Icerider

I agree with you to a certain extent (and am looking forward to your post showing the evidence you speak of). As far as research being doomed due to it being too "speculative", I have to disagree. Lot's of things throughout history have been deemed too speculative as well yet results and advances have been achieved many times over.

The Earth was flat for a while too ya know. The distances involved were too great and it was all speculation anyway.

But you are right I suppose. This is a conspiricy forum, after all

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The reason they are being methodical about it is because if they arent, the possibilities are endless... common sense.

They need to set boundaries in order to help us understand better the environments.

In 100 years, if life still hasn't been found, i can almost guarantee you that our idea of "where life may inhabit" will be a much more precise and accurate version than what our goldilocks zone diagrams look like now. It's just a process of elimination, only it will take a long time, because these stars and exoplanets aren't close!

Anyway, billions of stars in billions of possible galaxies... puts your life in perspective, doesn't it? We really are just dust in the wind...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I've always felt that we're not alone. I think it is the naivety of the Human race that allows anyone to even think we are the only intelligent life in this universe.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I fully agree that research has to go on, and I guess that each researcher is an expert in his own field, and searches in that 'area', but it all feels a little like 'long ago and far away'.
I guess I think that tptb love this kind of research because its safe - any results or conclusions are over such vast distances that theres no immediate cause for concern.
Funny enough, I kinda feel that the whole search for earthlike planets is a bit of a flat-earther thing, its like "we are going to look for life, but its going to be like us".
A pre-conceived notion that intelligence must be water/carbon based, humanoid, whatever. Reminds me of european treatment of indiginous peoples, in the 18th century, because of their perceived lack of humanity. (sorry, blah blah!)

Having said all that, I love the pictures we get of deep space courtesy of hubble, etc. We are lucky to be around at such an exciting time, and it certainly fires the imagination.
Oh, Juston...
Regarding my 'evidence', well, obviously its a matter of interpretation, but I promise you its better than the average offerings. I have to make 20 posts before I can create a thread, but when I do I'll try to remember to give you a heads up, and you can judge for yourself.

top topics

join