It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Backtrack 4

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ok, I got backtrack 3 final version, when I start it up, it goes onto a desktop screen, it kinda looks like a pc.

When I tried Backtrack 4 pre-final, I can only get to the console area, there's no desktop, no programs, nothing.

How do I get the desktop on 4 like I did on 3?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
try typing 'startx' from the command prompt, just without the ' marks, that should start up X hopefully, unless of course since its not a final release version they haven't gotten that far yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So what is 'X'? is it a variable for anything I want to put in it's place?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
startx is the command to start the X Windows server, which is basically the graphic interface for linux.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
it worked, thanks alot for the reply.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ok, I have another question..Finally got into the deskop, but now I need to load drivers for an Intel pro wireless 3945. I used instructions that worked to get wireless for backtrack 3, it works fine up to the last couple steps, but then it comes up with errors, which I think might be related to command differences between 3 and 4. so how do I get the wireless setup?

[edit on 8/3/06 by Spidermonk]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Not sure what you would have to do in the case of BackTrack 4 since its still being developed, might be better off using the older version instead. It really is a shame that there is no regular development on Knoppix STD, that was an awesome security tool distro.

new topics

top topics

join