It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rosenhan experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In 1973 Dr. David Rosenhan was doubting the validity of psychiatric diagnosis and went on to proove that unlike real doctors who can identify treat and a disease or illness, a psychiatrist cannot. His experiment was carried out in two different parts the first one involved getting 8 people to act like patients and admit themselves. They all said that they were hearing voices in there head that would say the word "thud". Once admitted they would all act normal and tell the Doctors that they no longer heard voices and were fine. All of them were diagnosed with some mental disorder and were held from 7-50 days, to be released they all said they were insane and took medication.
The second part is where it became really eye opening.
After publishing the result of his experiment Rosenhan announced that he would repeat the same experiment but this time (because he announced it) the psychiatrists knew this was going to happen. Out of the 200 people that went to the hospital durring the 3 month period 40 were said to be imposters sent by Rosenhan and another 40 were suspect. The truth was Rosenhan sent nobody to the hospital durring that time and THAT was the experiment.
So if there are no objective tests and no type of science to back up psychiatry and no cures provided by them how do they continue to function as doctors? If you look back at the history of psychiatry you can see that there is a pattern that develops.
1. Previous treatment is said to be ineffective and unsafe
2. A new miracle drug/treatment is produced
3. Adverse side effects are reported
4. Side effects are said to be few and far between
5. Patent on drug runs out or treatment is costly (can no longer make money on it)
Repeat 1-6

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think as a society were always trying to label things. (Illness, disease, etc.)
Just because some doesn't function like the "normal" society members; doesn't mean they have a illness or a disease.

People forget how unique we all really are. Some people are just more open about they're real selves.

I believe most people are more useful at identifying their problems themselves then a psychiatrist.

But people give up when they feel themselves getting excluded from this society were told to live in. And they turn to drugs, and therapy.

Now don't get me wrong some people do need medication and therapy! Just we do it for everything it seems now.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think that it is important to remember that for the most part, being sane is a matter of culture and social norms; however there are medical maladies that cause very defined psychological results. Obviously the doctors in question in the Rosenhan experiment were wrong to just turn people away, however, if the doctors knew about it, and then could not medical students or other med savvy people, who would then carry out the experiment. I know that some mental disorders have physical components that can be tested for. Psychologists are thus required, and are medical doctors; Psychiatrists on the other hand seem to be glorified councilors. That’s just my view though.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

Psychologists are thus required, and are medical doctors; Psychiatrists on the other hand seem to be glorified councilors. That’s just my view though.

I am sorry but you are misinformed. Psychiatrists are the doctors and psychologists are the glorified councilors.
What mental illnesses can be tested for?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i hate to think about how many perfectly sane people have been drugged much of their lives, just because a doctor says so.

also i wonder how many psycic people have been sentanced with a sever mental disorder. i say santenced becaucse that waht it is, your life will never be the same again. even if you are ok.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Dr Rosenhan was a real smart cookie for sure, I hesitate to use LOL but it seems a lot of psychologists need help from psychiatrists for Paranoia from that second test!

[edit on 9-11-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

There was a bill in 50's that was a psychiatrists wet dream. If you think that their current power is bad you should look up The Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act or the siberia bill as it is also called, it eventually got thrown out but would have been a nightmare.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
In 1973 Dr. David Rosenhan was doubting the validity of psychiatric diagnosis and went on to proove that unlike real doctors who can identify treat and a disease or illness, a psychiatrist cannot.

Well, but hold on a second here. What do you consider a "real" doctor?

Dr.'s run a practice. They are practicing on you. No "real" Dr., is therefore a real Dr.

When a person goes for cancer treatment, it's about the same as what you describe. Is there any proof, that chemo therapy actually works, for a long term cancer patient? What is the rate of return illness for people who undergo such a treatment.

I guess I am not fully understanding your point. Is it that you are proposing that all Dr.'s are just pill pushers?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Well, but hold on a second here. What do you consider a "real" doctor?

Someone who treats a real illness...

Dr.'s run a practice. They are practicing on you. No "real" Dr., is therefore a real Dr.

That has to be one of the smartest things i have heard all day but you should look up practice in a dictionary.

When a person goes for cancer treatment, it's about the same as what you describe. Is there any proof, that chemo therapy actually works, for a long term cancer patient? What is the rate of return illness for people who undergo such a treatment.

Well chemo may not be the best reatment the doctor can proove that the cancer is real, if you were to have a tumor in your head the size of a golf ball you could go to 100 different doctors and they would all tell you the same thing, you have a tumor in your head. With psychiatry there is no test to proove if an illness is real, so you could go to 100 different psychiatrists and they can all tell you you have something else because there is no test for any of their made up illnesses. That is the difference between a real doctor and a psychiatrist.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by zaiger]

new topics

top topics

join