It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin sees conspiracy in new dollar coins

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think Palin uses a different language when she addresses her most loyal supporters vs. the public as a whole. Just as you might not want everybody to hear some derogatory remarks that you reserve just for your closest associates. Like using the "n" word strictly in private.

She has a different language and presentation for her core believers, and these don't play well in the national media.

If she doesn't know how to address liberals and others who are not in her personal camp, this will have serious repercussions for her future in politics.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It amazes me at how people will take and distort all sorts of things, invoking their own conspiracy theory. And Sarah Palin seems to be a favorite target of all. (As all who are dangerous to the opposition's cause.)

First, it wasn't Palin who requested no cameras or recording devices, it was the sponsor of the event. Again, it was the Wisconsin Right to Life that requested no recording devices. Why? Duh, I dunno know. Maybe they might want all rights to the speech and not have someone posting it on YouTube so no one would purchase it from them, taking away a much needed revenue. Good judgment if you ask me. But anyway, she was just respecting their wishes.

Now the coin. Oh the urban legends that have run around this coin! How many times I have returned emails to those who send them out showing them that the phrase "In God We Trust" wasn't even there! I point out that there was a batch that was minted on accident w/o the phrase and now those are worth a lot of money!

Palin was using the coin as a visual metaphor. Ever hear of that? A metaphor via a visual prop, in this case, is when you use an object to show a comparison. Psychologically, we tend to remember what we see more than what we hear. Therefore, using a visual prop will get the point more instilled in the psyche than just saying something outright. Here's a quote from her Facebook notes page:

It is stunning to read and hear about this “coin controversy.” At a recent speech in Milwaukee I discussed the troubling fact that we too often move God to the side in our public life, and gave as an example the shift of the words “In God We Trust” to the edge of the dollar coin. My comments were not about this President or this Congress – this change predated them. I was merely making a point about a disturbing trend in our country, after which I moved on to discuss some encouraging trends. People who try to read more into such straightforward comments are working hard to find a controversy where there is none.

- Sarah Palin

My mom used to use a rose as a visual metaphor for how we waste our lives before committing ourselves to God, pulling a few petals off as our years pass. Now she wasn't saying that a rose was a waste of life for God as you all would seem to take it. So, sharpen your brains a little and think about that one and see if you can determine what she was trying to point out. Hope you all can think a little deeper than what you've shown thus far.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by willow1d

You could be right about the ban. Links please.

And the Facebook page was damage control. Visual metaphor...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
She says in God we Trust shouldn't have been moved to the side of the coin.

In God We Trust - shouldn't have been on the coins AT ALL.

What does God have to do with money - or the country?

Separation of Church and State. Separation of Church and State.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i think the best thing the democrats can do is actually send her money for her 2012 presidential run. the more money she got, the more absurd she'll sound. send in disinfo plants into her rallys and have them call for another armed revolution while holding up antique long rifles, and wearing george washington hats. this will get the nutters fired up and rolling into action.
maybe, just maybe...this has already happened with the new conservative party vs. the republican party.....dick armey has probably been supplied money from the democrats, along with the tea party money, and the GOP has been supplied money from the christian right, along with wall street money.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
What does God have to do with money - or the country?

If memory serves me well, Jesus was not into money. He might have hated money alright. And now he may see this inscription on money as an affront.

The fact that dimwits like Palin bring it up at all speaks volumes.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The camera ban info was on her Facebook page too. You have to choose whom you're going to believe, the media or a conservative.

And if she hadn't said anything about the coin controversy, you would have said she was guilty. She gave an explanation for her using the coin and nothing more.

Believe what you will. You've already shown just how much you're willing to think.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
She's trying to use this as a metaphor for putting "God" back into the center of our lives. Well, no thanks. How about putting reason back into our lives? And maybe someday we could elect reasonable politicians, lol, yeah right!

Why is it people like Ron Paul, who is very religious, can go out there and promote intelligent discussion against very real problems going on in our government and economy without resorting to God talk, while Palin has to resort to "putting God back into the center of our lives?" Maybe because she doesn't have a grasp on what's really going on and has nothing of substance to say about the things Paul touches on.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
reply to post by whaaa

And if she hadn't said anything about the coin controversy, you would have said she was guilty. She gave an explanation for her using the coin and nothing more.

Believe what you will. You've already shown just how much you're willing to think.

Please don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me, you don't know how or what I will think or will say about anything unless you are some kind of prophet.

Facebook, what a great news source.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
She says in God we Trust shouldn't have been moved to the side of the coin.

From what I've read, not what she said. She said we were moving God to the side of our lives, just like it is on the coin.

Separation of Church and State. Separation of Church and State.

Tell me, where is that written? I know, but do you? It wasn't in the Constitution or any other government documents. It says in the Constitution that Congress shall not establish a religion or prohibit anyone from exercising their religion. And if Congress said we could have it in 1864 & again 100 years later, who are you to say they got it wrong?

If you believe so, then fight it through the legislative branch of our government. But then you're pushing your religion on us. The belief in no God is just as much as religion as the belief in God.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon

Why is it people like Ron Paul, who is very religious, can go out there and promote intelligent discussion against very real problems going on in our government and economy without resorting to God talk, while Palin has to resort to "putting God back into the center of our lives?" Maybe because she doesn't have a grasp on what's really going on and has nothing of substance to say about the things Paul touches on.

Sarah wasn't talking to the nation. She was delivering a speech for the WI Right to Life supporters who tend to be religious. She was asked to speak there.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Please don't put words in my mouth. You don't know me, you don't know how or what I will think or will say about anything unless you are some kind of prophet.

One can infer opinions correctly from things already said, e.g. your words and reaction as follows:

And the Facebook page was damage control. Visual metaphor

From this you seem to have meant that Sarah Palin put on her Facebook page a reply to keep this "conspiracy" from damaging her further. Thus "damage control". And then you laughed heartily at the term "visual metaphor", which one could easily infer that you were making fun of it. And if one makes fun of something, that usually implies that you think it is not worthy of sincere consideration.

And as far as the 2nd paragraph, I should have said "you all would have" and not just "you". Sorry abt that. And how do you know I'm not a prophet?

And then you said:

Facebook, what a great news source.

Facebook as a source? Sarah Palin is the horse whose mouth those words came from. (Another visual metaphor used here unless you are one of those people who don't visualize things.). You can't get any closer to the "news source" than the "news source" itself. She was the one who wrote those words and put it on her Facebook page. How can that not be the BEST source you could get!?

[edit on 11/12/2009 by willow1d]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

willow1d, what kind of inferences should I make about this video?

www.youtube.com...

"Witchcraft"

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

This video may seem outrageous to many of us, but witchcraft is a very real threat to many Christian fundamentalists. I have known a few witches and they're harmless pagans but these folks take the references to witchcraft in the Bible very seriously.

It's not hard to understand why Palin might really believe the antagonism toward her in the media and elsewhere is the work of the devil. I believe her ego might be that big.

Maybe somebody cast a spell on me to make me believe she is a dingbat.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

willow1d, what kind of inferences should I make about this video?
"video"
"Witchcraft"

First, Sarah wasn't the one who used the word. And after a 2 minute prayer, he used the word once and that's all you got out of it? Okay, I had a hard time understanding him as he has a good foreign accent, so I might have missed something else.

Second, one must know Christianity's take on "witchcraft". It's not necessarily those who practice Wicca, Voodoo and other exotic practices. "Witchcraft" was used also included slight of hand i.e. magic, "pharmeceuticals" i.e. potions, etc. It's the slight of hand or hexing. I'm thinking that was what he was referring to as English is not his first language.

So what I would infer from this is that he, the preacher, feels that people are hexing her using slight of hands, such as this little clip of a nice prayer and then twisted into something that it's not, or using the coin conspiracy. Biblical witchcraft in this is blinding the sight/wisdom of people with slight of voice, action, etc.

I see nothing that should have been taken as negative. Not like the "God dxxx America!!! God dxxxx America" as Obama's 20 year religious leader has been recorded shouting over and over again. Is this preacher in the video even connecgted to Sarah other than she attended one of his services and he prayed over her? Has anyone said?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by whaaa

This video may seem outrageous to many of us, but witchcraft is a very real threat to many Christian fundamentalists. I have known a few witches and they're harmless pagans but these folks take the references to witchcraft in the Bible very seriously.

It's not hard to understand why Palin might really believe the antagonism toward her in the media and elsewhere is the work of the devil. I believe her ego might be that big.

As I pointed out in another response, it was not Palin who said it. And in the Christian world, even the lowest person has Satan come against him. So what does ego have to do with it? Oh, and I wasn't even going to respond to this, until then I saw your own self-"description" or whatever it's called...."Keeper of the Flame".

I could very easily say this is very offensive to me as I follow the Cherokee way and unless you are the actual Keeper of the Flame, one must have a HUGE ego in order to proclaim themselves as such. You see, we have a Sacred Fire that is extremely important to the Cherokee spirituality. And for you to say that you are the Keeper of the Flame would be quite offensive to one that has to read things into something that is not there, such as this video. [My edit--and being from Asheville, NC I'm thinking now that maybe you do know something about this.]

However, unlike those who are offended to a non-American preacher who uses the word "witchcraft" when I believe he was referring to those who are trying to make things appear as they are not, I won't take offense to your self-proclaimed "keeper of the Flame" as I probably don't understand what "flame" (as in comparison to the word "witchcraft") you mean exactly. Though I still have a hard time fighting off the thought that this is still quite a statement to be said for oneself.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by willow1d]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by willow1d
From what I've read, not what she said. She said we were moving God to the side of our lives, just like it is on the coin.

I think the notes are pretty clear -- she demands to know who proposed to move the location of the inscription from the center of the coin to its periphery. I personally find it mind boggling that she would attach any importance to that.

That's the thing about America today -- people care about non-issues and often listen to people who claim they are very concerned about these non-issues. It's like a bad dream. Take "birthers", for example -- they are willing to scrutinize Obama's birth certificate, but I bet you anything none in that crowd demanded hard evidence of Saddam's having obtained WMD. Same with Sarah -- economy is in the ditch, and she worries about religiously correct ways of minting coins.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I think the notes are pretty clear --

Whose notes? A reporter? Someone who heard secondhand?

she demands to know who proposed to move the location of the inscription

Demands? Absolutely inappropriate word. She was talking abt a discussion w/a friend where she had asked the question. Just 'cause she's talking w/a friend (per FoxNews commentary) and asks a rhetorical question, that's "demanding"? If it wasn't rhetorical, the she "demanded" from that friend that they, the friend, MUST find out who does such a thing? Hmmmmm? I think a lot different inferals here are more logical.

I personally find it mind boggling that she would attach any importance to that.

Once again, it was used as a visual prop, a metaphor, a comparison. It's a very common use in speeches. Check it out.

It isn't Sarah who's placing such IMPORTANCE to it. It's the reporters, the MSM, and other people who are making SUCH a big deal because she used a coin for a simile. I see no big deal there either. Place the emphasis on the people who are emphasizing, not on Sarah.

And didn't the coin have a date on it? Yeah, I think so. I think they were dated 2005. So there's no way she could have been placing the blame on the Obama admin. That was just a really big HUGE purposedly misleading reported statement. There's no way around that one.

And as for the coin, I even have one where the "In God We Trust" was printed the wrong way on the coin. Some money to be made there for my grandchildren. (That should pay abt .000000000000000005% of the national debt owed by them.)

That's the thing about America today -- people care about non-issues and often listen to people who claim they are very concerned about these non-issues. It's like a bad dream.

Ay, ay, ay!! I absolutely agree. I just wish people would stop playing this childish game and trying to feel better about themselves by belittling someone else.

Take "birthers", for example -- they are willing to scrutinize Obama's birth certificate, but I bet you anything none in that crowd demanded hard evidence of Saddam's having obtained WMD.

Not a birther, [sorry off topic here!] but I did have my own opinion of Saddam's WMDs. He was given no less than 30 days warning that we were going to come in. They are satellite images, lots of reports, etc talking abt large trucks going from Iraq to Syria and another country or two. What were on those trucks? I can't say for sure they held WMDs, but no one can say for sure that there weren't any on there either.

So, it's actually more possible that Iraq did have WMDs since there was enough reports that convinced more countries than just the US that he possessed them, than not, since he had so much time to move these weapons and there is evidence he was moving something.

Same with Sarah -- economy is in the ditch, and she worries about religiously correct ways of minting coins.

Alaska's economy wasn't in the ditch when she was governor and if I remember right, she had a large part to do with that. And again, the coin was just an example for her, not a conspiracy that the reporter started.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join