It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When E.T. Phones The Pope (Washington Post Article)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
One can only wonder what the Vaticans reaction would be to ET's if they refused to acknowledge the Christian god or just came out and plainly said, "Your God does not exist", "Your God is not our God" or "Our God is the real God".

I'd imagine the Vatican would not be as positive or welcoming as they currently are... And then I imagine lots of deaths in the names of Gods... just like always.

IRM

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I know this pics been posted before but Anne Druyan make a very good point about certain 'religious mindsets' and our place in the cosmos below:

Photograph of planet Earth taken by Voyager 1 which was 4 billion miles away:

Ann Druyan suggest an experiment: Look back again at the pale blue dot photograph. Take a good long look at it. Stare at the dot for any length of time and then try to convince yourself that God created the whole Universe for one of the 10 million or so species of life that inhabit that speck of dust. Now take it a step further: Imagine that everything was made just for a single shade of that species, or gender, or ethnic or religious subdivision. If this doesn't strike you as unlikely, pick another dot. Imagine it to be inhabited by a different form of intelligent life. They, too, cherish the notion of a God who has created everything for their benefit. How seriously do you take their claim?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcrom901
karl; that sun article about converting the galaxy to islam was a killer...

Mcrom -its a hoot isn't it?

“We are obliged as Muslims to make the whole galaxy subservient to almighty Allah"

www.thesun.co.uk...

I also noticed he also used the word subservient:

Subservient:

1 slavish, subservient, submissive

abjectly submissive; characteristic of a slave or servant; obedient, compliant..
www.wordreference.com...

What a joker.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

Why does anyone have to abandon "God made us in His image." ? God could also make ET's in His image. The two are not mutually exclusive. The keyword being image because He could have revealed Himself to other people's in other images. Nothing in the Bible or RC teaching is in conflict with that. RC teaching is that God loves man. I am not sure of your logic in saying that the RC Church is lying by saying that. God could also love ET. Again, nothing in RC teaching would make that mutually exclusive either.

Most people here would like to see the downfall of the Church. However, most people posting are making one big assumption; that is ET is not religious. Advanced technology does not mean they gave up religion. It is just as likely an outcome that they are religious as they might not be religious. Until the ET's are openly among us and fully disclosed we really don't know either way. Their society might be based on religion for all we know. They might come down and say "We heard about you Catholics, you are right on, How can we join?". Or they could just as easily legitimize any religion especially if they had evil intent to use it as a control device. Or they might simply not say either way.

The point I am making is that there are other possibilities than ET lands, ET speaks and religion goes bye-bye. We need to keep an open mind. Also, no matter what ET does, we should maintain our own identities, beliefs and traditions. Just because they are technically/scientifically superior to us doesn't mean they are morally/spiritually superior. We need to keep an open mind and discerne.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Interesting article. I think the impact on religion may be overstated however. The Church has had to cope with similar theological crises before as already mentioned. It has always found a way to adapt before and it may do so again.

Even if aliens did arrive and produced evidence that religion was all made up there will still be people who believe. Never underestimate people's ability to ignore facts that run counter to their own beliefs!

That said, I notice that the majority opinion on here seems to be that if Aliens did arrive they would be morally superior, scientific, maybe even atheist and would view religious earthlings as 'quaint' or 'primitive', having already come to a completely scientific understanding of how the universe works.

But is this view of aliens justified or are we atheists merely projecting our own hopes and beliefs onto them? After all, we 'know' religion is nonsense; aliens are more intelligent than us so therefore they too will believe it to be nonsense and more will be able to prove it, right?

Well actually this is simply falling into the trap of second guessing the culture, knowledge and motivations of a species who may be completely incomprehensible to us.

Aliens could quite easily have a religious belief system. They may even have beliefs as diverse and strange as humans. Furthermore what if they arrive and explain to us 'quaint' atheists that yes, actually, there is a God, there is an afterlife and Jesus really was the Messiah?

In all probability, when aliens arrive there would be no one on the planet, religious or otherwise, who wouldn't have to re-evaluate their beliefs and assumptions about the world. To assume otherwise is to be as ego/geocentric as those who burned Giordano Bruno at the stake.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by ufo reality

"Father Jose Funes, a Jesuit astronomer, director of the centuries-old Vatican Observatory and a driving force behind the conference, suggested in an interview last year that the possibility of "brother extraterrestrials" poses no problem for Catholic theology. "As a multiplicity of creatures exists on Earth, so there could be other beings, also intelligent, created by God," Funes explained. "This does not conflict with our faith because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God."

And thus all problems with homosexuality were addressed and forgotten...

Oh wait... you mean you can only use that "Creative freedom of God" phrase when dealing with ET but not GAYJAY?

I applaud them for using this logic, however, it does appear it's being applied selectively here.

Are you implying that homosexuals are different creatures than heterosexuals? I always thought that they were humans, just that they were attracted to their own sex. An alien being is pretty far from a gay guy.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I see lots of you guys posting that the Vatican will be embarassed and proven wrong when disclosure comes.

I don't agree with that. Extra terrestrials do not discredit the life and teachings of Jesus. I see nowhere in the new testament that Earth is the only habitable world in the cosmos. Christianity is here to teach us to love and respect one another. While the creation story and the old testament are in the Christian bible, they are not Christian writings per se. I actually think the Vatican is being genuine when they say they're looking for life and that it's ok to accept this idea.

It's ok to bash religion if that's your thing, but let's stay on target here.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think the time may be coming where disclosure will be inevitable and this meeting with the pope is just a get together of minds on how to handle the situation when ET does turn up or is announced.

i think ET has shown his hand and is waiting to see what cards we hold and the pope wants to cover all the bases so he has an answer that will suit all religions.

something is brewing.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spacecase7717

A Jesuit Astronomer is a person who belongs to the Jesuit religious order and who also studies Astronomy. It would be sort of like a Buddhist Chef or a Zoroastrian Proctologist or a Muslim Hair Stylist.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality

One of the most significant parts of this article could be the Jesuit order being involved in ET disclosure, they have been the keepers of the secrets for centuries and this is a great stride in coming clear with what is not speculated in many circles but a given, a known.

"As a multiplicity of creatures exists on Earth, so there could be other beings, also intelligent, created by God," Funes explained. "This does not conflict with our faith because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God."

From the quote given above it is apparent to me that they are no longer calling differing and interdimensional beings as ET or from elsewhere, but from right here on earth coexisting with humanity from a space that very soon will be fully opened and undeniable.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hmmm, I think maybe the Vatican have their eyes on those little space kids

If the Vatican are willing to acnowledge the possible existence of ET life then you can god damn be sure that they are saying it for their own reasons and not for the betterment of the human race..... Just like NASA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I love the Dracula 3000 movie.. I admit it was a bad movie but I think it has a important dialog in it.

The movie supposedly is set some time in the not so distant future and takes place on a spaceship transporting Dracula to planet Transylvania ( I admit super campy) BUT of course the vampires wake up in transit and part of the story is there is only one crew member running the space ship that even knows who god is and what religion is.

The female actor says " God who is god" LOL

I dunno just thought I would throw that out there.. Personally I think the Vatican knows way more then it is letting on. and all this business with ET and the Vatican is the Vatican just doing some PR so when disclosure does happen the Vatican can say they came clean to avoid the shear spite people will have when the US government discloses. People will go nutz when they find out. And they should too... Like that famous video of when they tear down the Saddam Hussien statue down in the gulf war. the US people should go and sink the USS George Bush aircraft carrier.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I dont know why exactly, but the Vatican pushing an agenda like this seriously creeps me out. I keep getting this feeling of extreme evil and impending doom. Now, keep in mind- I haven't seen V- I wasn't even interested in the first series of it. I cant explain this feeling, either, which makes it even WORSE.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
In the last few months I have been doing alot of research and alot of thinking and this is what I believe happened and will happen.
The aliens created us with their advanced technology, they governed us for a while and instructed a few to make the piramids, as their temples and landing points, they sent a few prophets with the same basic story to different parts of the world to remind us that they existed since we thought that they where gods. They had a few fights and the main leader got mad because we where messing up and drowned most of the population. They left because this was bringing the too many issues and fights and some of them got too close to us and considered us family.
"Jesus" was the son of the main god and he didn't want his father to destroy us again because he felt that we where his children and that we deserved a chance. "Jesus" tells his dad that he is willing to come down to earth, suffer and die so that he doesnt kill us again.
I believe that they live thousands of years more than us and that they are able to fix the body very easily and return the "soul" or energy to it.

The churches especially the Catholic church, saw that this religion stuff was bringing them money and made a verry profitable bussiness out of it. During the last few months they have been tageting protestants and inviting them to the churches (I don't know where I saw this info). They are desperate because the people are "waking up" and no longer follow as blind sheep. If the disclosure comes, in order to keep their sheep, they have to come up with a disclosure of their own that benefits them and makes them look good.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I see this as an absolutely crucial step if there ever is to be an official "disclosure" of an alien presence engaging this planet.

Also, if I remember correctly, some of the "leaked" info coming out of the Secret UN Meetings last year was that religious leaders had been "ordered" to start preparing their followers for the possibility of life coming here from elsewhere.

In any event, yeah, this is the Catholic Church trying to make sure that if and when it happens, people don't flip their lid...

Conditioning.

Either that or this is just a stab by the Church to be the last Church standing if and when it happens... probably a combination of both.

Good thread S&F

You hit it right on the head, they are getting out in front to make sure they give the impression of control and know whats going on. If by some chance that we disclosed and didn't bother to have the religious entities prepping, then they will be caught flat footed and will be confused to what to say to their congregations and the whole at large. There was another one of these meetings done a few years, but this one has me thinking. As I've said before, when the MSM start to put out stories and shows and programs about aliens and their effect on human life, we are getting close to disclosure. I want everyone to truly think about that day, truly think about it. Because it will take your breath away, just like when you get something that you have been longing for. Can you imagine that December 10 Obama going out with the other nations and telling us that we are not alone and aliens do exists. If it's done in my lifetime, I will feel privileged. Something like this will change the way humanity looks at each other.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MarrsAttax

It is my estimation that if aliens came to this planet they would be not religious, but atheistic isn't the word either.

I'm begining to wonder if atheism is just some sort of phase people go through that comes sometime between questioning authority and humility.

Or well, I suppose for some that really think they have the answers, atheism could be a perpetual state of mind, but rest assured, Science will catch up to God sooner than people may think. Only to be humbled as a whole.

You see, an alien civilization, in my estimation, will have a pretty good understanding of the fact that our "reality" is nothing more than an individualized projection of pantheistic reality.
Or in other words, that you and I are absolutely no different other than the fact that we are subdivisions of a greater whole, which is God.

But, hey, who knows.
Sometimes I feel like I am a fool for thinking I have figured out even this much.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Almost every major news organization is covering this:

www.usatoday.com...

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Oh sure... I mean, if and when it happens, it will change life on this pale dot forever... and in the end, it will be a good and welcomed change.

However, there are a lot of preconceptions that need to be reprogrammed before such a thing could EVER happen.
We like to think that we are civilized and above the mentality we consider beastial, but we aren't. Not by a long-shot.
And this is because most people are completely arrogant and self-centered. Alien presence, out in the open, would be absolutely humbling and downright frightening for most around the world.

If it happens, I like to think that I will be glad, but you had better believe there will be that moment of "What happens next." going through my mind as well. I mean, are they good, are they bad? All those questions will be crucial in the minds of most. A bad alien = very, very, very, very bad news for humans.

Which also makes me wonder about how it will happen, if it does. Surely if an alien species is able to make contact with us, this will not be their first go around. They will know how to handle it. Which leads me to believe that if they are here already, and aren't showing themselves, the reason is because they know it is for the betterment of our own species to acclimate to the possibility first.
Which leads me to believe they are peaceful.

Now, if and when it happens, and the Gov. is telling us that these beings ar hostile, I would say to pull up your britches and get ready for some tough times ahead as this is all a ploy by the Gov. and in the end, they are going to enslave us.

But those are just my opinions.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If 'God' made humans in 'his image', then to have made another creature 'in his image' would mean that at least one of them would be wrong.

The interesting thing would be if the aliens and human scientists got together and found out that 'God' actually did make us both in 'his image', millions of years ago, when we were both the same species, before one of us became Neanderthal man (and evolved to become the immortal Annunaki and left earth), and the other became a small-minded (but resourceful) mortal species whose only purpose became to challenge and eradicate the Neanderthals who refused immortality (the 'lower class' ones).

^_^

It would be funny if the aliens had exactly the same kind of 'pre-history' that we had (neanderthals vs. homo blahblah), how scared do you think they'd be to arrive on earth only to see humans and life everywhere. What if their popular history skipped the whole evolution on earth part and would simply tell them that they were taken to their planet by 'god' and saved from 'the great flood' and 'armageddon' because they were his 'chosen people' and that they named their planet 'Israel'.

Oh, oh yes, I did just say that, do with it what you will!

[edit on 11/11/2009 by nrky]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The philosophical problem for Catholicism and ETs isn't man as the center of creation, or evolution both of which they have long come to , more or less, modern understandings of.

The problem is Jesus as the Savior, if Mr. Spock or Yoda show up ... very evolved philosophically etc. the question of whether Aliens have souls and whether Jesus would save aliens. That is where it gets crazy and dicey for them

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join