It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Egypt's chief archeologist Zahi Hawass rejects the discovery of a vanished Persian army in the Egyptian deserts as "unfounded and misleading."
"I need to inform the public that recent reports published in newspapers, news agencies and TV news announcing that “twin brothers Angelo and Alfredo Castiglioni have unearthed remains of the Persian army of Cambyses,” are unfounded and misleading," Secretary General of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities Hawass wrote in his personal blog.
Reports had earlier announced that the remains of an army led by Persian King Cambyses II had been discovered by the Castiglioni brothers in a small oasis not far from Siwa.
Egyptian officials have postponed their visit to Iran where they were to discuss the possible location of a Persian army that vanished 25 centuries ago...............Egypt postponed the visit after Hawass's made his claims, IRNA reported.
....review new findings about an ancient Iranian army which is believed to have been lost in Egypt.......
and here a mouthful from Mr Misunderstood
"It is expected that the capacities of the national knowledge about the cultural heritage and internationally renowned experts and also the diplomatic capacities would be used," the Iranian President stated.
Iran has asked the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to protect the remains of a vanished Persian army of the Achaemenid empire in Egypt.
The request was made through a letter by Iran's Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism Organization (ICHTO) on Sunday.
"Egypt's chief archeologist Zahi Hawass has recently rejected the discovery of the army in his personal weblog due to political pressure," ICHTO Spokesman, Hassan Mohseni, told Fars news agency.
Originally posted by rnaa
Interesting from all angles.
I would like to see a map detailing the location of the finds in relation to military operations during WWII. I expect that the location is still embargoed to prevent looters though.
With all the traffic in the area back then I find it hard to believe that somebody didn't stumble on to something.
During World War II, Siwa again played an important role. Most of that war saw the Siwa occupied with Allied troops consisting mainly of British, Australians and New Zealanders. It was closed to none military visitors. However, it was bombed by the Italians who had occupied Libya, killing 100 people (and a donkey, we are told), and later, the Germans had their turn in the Oasis. Even Field Marshal Rommel visited, but it was later retaken by the Allies. Afterwards, visitation to the Siwa was restricted for a number of years