It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help please: Southwestern blob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have a pretty good long term memory, and I recall a story appearing both the El Paso local newspaper and on the evening news about a “blob” that was oozing up from the ground near the burial site of a UFO crash victim. I’m fuzzy on the exact location, but it would have been somewhere in the Southwest… New Mexico or Texas perhaps, back in 72-74. The details I do recall are that a local woman’s hedge was being engulfed by the weird slime, and that she killed it with a nicotine concoction before live samples could be taken by scientists.

I was just a kid, and recall being excited reading about it, and disappointed at the blurb the following day saying that it was just “some sort of fungus”.

Does anyone here remember this incident and have further details?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I did a quicky search and found a short mention here

It doesn't say much about it. Here's what it says, mostly.

In early September 1979, the Associated Press carried a story about three purple blobs found in a yard in Frisco, Texas. One blob evaporated away, while the remaining two were preserved for analysis by NASA. The blobs were warm when found and had appeared during the height of a meteor shower. At first, NASA scientists did not rule out the possibility that the jelly-like goo might be extraterrestrial, but an AP dispatch the next day (not as widely printed) inferred that the blobs were merely industrial waste!

It's not much, but may be enough info to narrow down a better search.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've found an article from Washington Post dated May 26th, 1973:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/670200dd752bf1fc.jpg[/atsimg]
Source file from: MUFON (PDF)

The article seems to match your description, imho

[ed. to fix date]

[edit on 9/11/2009 by internos]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yeah i remember that, then the blob goes around killing people, kinda strange

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks X, but it was definitely around '73, not '79. Your link was helpful in that it led me to a couple of blurbs... still nothing too detailed. It was Garland Texas in 1973.

"Another account of the incident was quoted like this; In the spring of 1973, the Dallas Times Herald ran some stories about a UFO "crash" in April, 1897. A small, shiny, "cigar-shaped" craft was said to have crashed into a windmill in Aurora, Texas. The strange craft's tiny pilot was said to have been "blown to pieces."

How did the Times Herald learn about the "crash"? Bill Case, a reporter, found the story in an 1897 Dallas newspaper. Later, Bill Case and a treasure-hunter named Frank Kelley went to the "crash site." They dug up a few scraps of "strange-looking" metal. By mid-June, news reporters, curiosity seekers, and UFO fans were piling into Aurora. A new interest in UFO's was born -- at least in that part of Texas."

Around the same time, Mrs. Marie Harris, of Garland, Texas, said that there was a strange thing growing in her backyard. It was "as big as a platter, foamy and creamy, and pale yellow." It also "pulsated like a beating heart." When Mrs. Harris hacked it with a hoe, it "bled," she said. Its "blood" was a red and purple goo.

People called it "The Blob." A biologist from the University of Texas called it a fungus. Finally, sunlight seemed to kill it.

A national news magazine linked the story of "The Blob" with the story of the old UFO "crash" at Aurora. That magazine story, surely, must have set great numbers of people thinking about visitors from outer space.

More here

Wish I could find the original article.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
ANd now that I know the town's name, I found it on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
I've found an article from Washington Post dated May 26th, 1973:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/670200dd752bf1fc.jpg[/atsimg]
Source file from: MUFON (PDF)

The article seems to match your description, imho

[ed. to fix date]

[edit on 9/11/2009 by internos]

You're the King, Internos!

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I knew it, 'blob' was based on a true story ..

Nah, this is getting so wierd, the movie Alien there is a a huge spaceship kinda like the one in the apollo 'spaceship on the moon' clips..

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I even sent an e-mail to UFO Hunters about this - no reply. It's been bugging me for years... I was beginning to think I had imagined the story. This Washington Post clipping is exactly as I remember the article I read back then.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The funny thing is that we live on a big planet and it's possible and even likely that our planet has had extra-terrestrial life come here via meteors and survive or they have came and survived the burn up and couldn't survive in our biosphere. If you look at some of the plants and trees and other lifeforms on this planet (there was a thread on above that showed the 10 weirdest plants and trees on the planet), you would think that your on Altair 7 or something because they are so alien. And I guarantee you that NASA didn't take a ho hum about this because they and the fed want to control any possibility of alien life and/or alien biologicals that aren't the studied norm.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Fuligo Septica is almost certainly what that person saw. It even moves in an amoebic fashion in search of food. It is yellow and looks slimy and blob like.

See the article and search for pictures. It often looks very slimy and when it moves from day to day it freaks people out.

Since the description in the article matches this Fungi, I'd bet that is what it was and was coincidental to anything else.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1ef6fe498d7.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

join