It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.2 Earthquake Fiji - All Island Webcams Are Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Not sure if this is because of the earthquake, but all of the islands webcams are currently down. This happened in an area that very well could cause a Tsunami.

Latest Earthquakes - World

[edit on 9-11-2009 by skepticantiseptic]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Just seen this rumble on equake.

I hope that it hasn't casued too much damamge.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

No tsunami warnings were issued following the earthquake, which struck at 10.45 p.m. local time. “A destructive tsunami was not generated based on depth of earthquake,” a bulletin from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center read

www.thaindian.com...

Apparently it was to deep for a tsunami warning.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I was about to pop back in and say that I hope 363 miles deep would be too deep for a tsunami.

I hope that stays the same. Let's hope it was too big to do any major damamge aswell!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Oh that's good news. Hope the damage was also not too bad. Just thought I would make ATS aware of the big temblor.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I was about to pop back in and say that I hope 363 miles deep would be too deep for a tsunami.

I hope that stays the same. Let's hope it was too big to do any major damamge aswell!

Man that is as deep as I have seen of late.
Very interesting. Wonder what implications this has in reference to triggering others.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm glad you did, it doesn't have to be about doom and gloom

(and it's refreshingly nice if this turns out to be a non event + it saved me doing the thread
)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Is that right, 363 miles deep?

How on Earth do we know this, how can they work that out.

Not being skeptical, just really interested to find out more.

What depth do we need for a Tsunami?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

363 miles?? under sea?

im no expert, but im sure you have a point their!
(i remember posting about crust depths before, ill go look it up ...check my work and ect)..

i couldnt find my previous post, but i got the basics from wiki .... i knew 363 miles seemed a bit weird...

The structure of the Earth can be defined in two ways: either chemically, or by mechanical properties such as rheology. Mechanically, it can be divided into lithosphere, asthenosphere, mesosphere, outer core, and the inner core. The interior of the earth is divided into 5 important layers. Chemically, Earth can be divided into the crust, upper mantle, lower mantle, outer core, and inner core. The geologic component layers of Earth[1] are at the following depths below the surface:
Depth Layer
Kilometers Miles
0–60 0–37 Lithosphere (locally varies between 5 and 200 km)
0–35 0–22 … Crust (locally varies between 5 and 70 km)
35–60 22–37 … Uppermost part of mantle
35–2890 22–1790 Mantle
100–200 62–125 … Asthenosphere
35–660 22–410 … Upper mantle
660–2890 410–1790 … Lower mantle
2890–5150 1790–3160 Outer core
5150–6360 3160–3954 Inner core

(TAKEN FROM en.wikipedia.org... )

just to add, if i remember right, the earths crust goes as thin as 1-2 miles at parts, under very deep ocean.

now, this quake... in the upper mantle?? i never even knew that was possible! i thought the tectonic plates floated on the liquid mantle ?!?

edit edit: im posting on the fly.. just done some searching on quakes that deep ... and got some interesting stuff on a previous set of series of events(quakes @ >30km depth) in the sameish area, (ill let the experts decide .. im no expert)

Abstract

We present analyses of two swarms of long-period (LP) earthquakes at > 30 km depth that accompanied the geodetically observed 2002–2005 Mauna Loa intrusion. The first LP earthquake swarm in 2002 consisted of 31 events that were precursory and preceded the start of Mauna Loa inflation; the second LP swarm of two thousand events occurred from 2004–2005. The rate of LP earthquakes slowed significantly coincident with the occurrence of the December 26, 2004 Mw 9.3 Sumatra earthquake, suggesting that the seismic waves from this great earthquake may have had a dynamic triggering effect on the behavior of Mauna Loa's deep magma system. Using waveform cross correlation and double difference relocation, we find that a large number of earthquakes in each swarm are weakly similar and can be classified into two families. The relocated hypocenters for each family collapse to compact point source regions almost directly beneath the Mauna Loa intrusion. We suggest that the observed waveform characteristics are compatible with each family being associated with the resonance of a single fluid filled vertical crack of fixed geometry, with differences in waveforms between events being produced by slight variations in the trigger mechanism. If these LP earthquakes are part of the primary magma system that fed the 2002–2005 intrusion, as indicated by the spatial and temporal associations between mantle seismicity and surface deformation, then our results raise the possibility that this magma system may be quite focused at these depths as opposed to being a diffuse network. It is likely that only a few locations of Mauna Loa's deep magma system met the geometric and fluid dynamic conditions for generating LP earthquakes that were large enough to be recorded at the surface, and that much of the deep magma transfer associated with the 2002–2005 intrusion occurred aseismically.

www.sciencedirect.com... 084528973&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=060d6434d94516fa99403170bcab95cc

[edit on 9-11-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Usually the deeper the quake hits the safer we fell but I don't know. Over 300 miles deep does not sound good. What happens if the upper mantel breaks? Bad images of massive lava come to mind, haha.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The deepest earthquakes typically occur at plate boundaries where the Earth”s crust is being subducted into the Earth’s mantle. These occur as deep as 750 km (400 miles) below the surface.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I hope it does not interupt my supply of Bottled water!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiji water, mmmmm

new topics

top topics

join