It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism Gone Crazy: Example 01

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I came across this story today. It was front page news originally but now has slipped into oblivion. I guess people do not think it is important. Or maybe not worthy of mention. I disagree. The article illustrates a very sick and deluded mindset that has become normal and acceptable thanks to Feminism and the Women's Liberation Movement. I don't expect Feminists to see anything wrong here because we all know only one sex can be evil and arrogant. If any Feminists and supporters of the Women's Liberation Movement want to come in here and flame me, then so be it. I am and never will be afraid to call Radical Feminism one of the worst and most harmful products of Western civilisation.

Please read the article for yourself, it is not long:
Only bras support women writers

What we have here is Kathy Lett, an Australian female writer, whining that no females were included in Publishers Weekly's annual list of top 10 books.

"Apparently dinosaurs still roam the earth. They're all at Publishers Weekly," Lette told The Independent On Sunday.

Yes, dinosaurs roam the earth because the best books that were chosen happen to have been written by males. Is the list not meant to represent the best works of fiction as judged by a panel? Does she want to include works that are not as high in quality as those chosen because she wants to see females mentioned in the list? I thought the list is meant to be chosen on the merits and talents of the writer, regardless of their gender.

"This list proves that the only support women authors get is from our Wonderbras."

Feminist connection made. Yes, if you fail to see the large proportion of tax dollars used to fund women's only procedures and women's support services. What about support in the field of custody hearings? Does she sprout this garbage so women can just have equal rights and opportunities? Please...

Lionel Shriver, the prize-winning author of We Need to Talk About Kevin, believed publishing took men more seriously than women.
"Female writing is regarded as second tier; there is a default assumption that men are the heavy hitters," she said.

This comment is made by a different person. Yet, the sick mind set is still prevalent if not worse than that of the other female writer. Not only are her comments shrouded in false victim hood, they are inconsistent with facts and reason.

J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter) & Stephenie Meyer (Twilight) are among the most popular and successful authors of the past decade. They are both female fiction writers that have shown that hard work and determination (not having a pair of gonads) will bring their work the attention and critical acclaim it so rightly deserves.

Am I looking too much into this? Maybe I am. But it is becoming more common now to turn a blind eye away from reason and reality in this politically correct society of ours. We no longer are allowed to call the best the best, the worst the worst, the funny the funny, the sad the sad. We need to include all sexes, genders, religions, races, ethnicities, skin colours when making any official announcements. We must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of everyone before saying anything or awarding anything.

The sad fact of the matter in this case is that if every single person on that list were females, Feminists would have no objections. If not one male writer was included they would simply turn a blind eye. This is NOT about equality and rights, it is about superiority and the demonisation of men!

[edit on 8/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yeah, its ridiculous. They just can't accept the fact that a woman writer couldn't crack the top ten, .... and have to call sexism.... and their so deluded they probably believe their own BS.

They only want to be equals when it serves them. .. And when it doesn't, and their judged by the same standards, ... they cry " why won't you support women"

Dumb Broads.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

SNIP

...But it is becoming more common now to turn a blind eye away from reason and reality in this politically correct society of ours. We no longer are allowed to call the best the best, the worst the worst, the funny the funny, the sad the sad. We need to include all sexes, genders, religions, races, ethnicities, skin colours when making any official announcements. We must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of everyone before saying anything or awarding anything.

100% agree with this assessment. Well said.

As for the article; pffft... she reads like a whiner at best and just that simple take on it, turns me off of her message.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What category does a Women's Rights book fall into?

A Joke Book.

I could understand back in the day when women weren't able to vote or most couldn't go to university cause they were expected to pop out babies but those things are in the past. We are about equal give or take a couple issues on each side and these witches are still pushing for more

[edit on 9-11-2009 by EarthFallingApart]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
That article is just silly. I think Ms Lette is just upset that she isn't mentioned in that magazine's "Top Picks" for any category. She should be thankful she won the Man Booker Prize and got an honorary degree.

Heck, it says she dropped out of school at 15, she should be thankful she was even able to publish a book at all!

As a female writer with no degree myself, I think she should be choosing her battles a little better. I mean, she must know it's not her gender but her lack of "official credibility" that motivates those supposed "experts/critics" to overlook her work.

Maybe she doesn't know how this hierarchal system works. Maybe she really does think it's related to her being female...

Anyway, I'm glad this kind of feminist propaganda has no effect on me, other than making me laugh.

Good find.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
70% of all fiction is bought and read by women. (stat from when I worked in the industry)

Novels were read almost exclusively by women when the first became mass-consumption popular in the 19th Century. Virtually all fiction authors were women back then.

Harlequin Romances are still huge worldwide. When I consulted on a project for them years ago, the big joke was "If the NEW YORK TIMES bestseller list was based on what the best selling books really are, every week 7 out of 10 of them would be Harlequin Romances."

M

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

S & F.

Kathy and Lionel (Lionel? A woman's name??? Or maybe she changed her name to Lionel hoping to win prizes???) should be ashamed of themselves. This is just plain whinging and sour grapes.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Also I have read a few of their books and was not impressed.

Sorry one-liner.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This is nothing to do with sexism, she's just jealous.

She should spend less time complaining and more time making sandwiches.

Joking.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
And look at the response of a spokewoman for the company the published the results:

The magazine's reviews director, Louisa Ermelino, said it had "disturbed us" that the list was all male, but gender and genre were ignored in the selection process.

So it is disturbing that those judged most worthy of the top ten were male writers? At least she confirms that gender and genre were not a factor in the final results. I can ASSURE you, the next time they conduct a list like this gender will VERY MUCH be a factor in deciding the results. The Feminist lobby will make certain of that.

"As women make up 90 per cent of the fiction-buying public, perhaps we should make a point and girl-cott male authors until our work is given the same critical acclaim and public backing."

I doubt that statistic is as high as she suggests, but even so, I do not see how such a move would help female writers. Seems as though she is one of the few who find the gender of the writer to be problematic.

[edit on 9/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I can suffer analogies, like the analogy of the cave by Plato, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and works by George Orwell, but I hate written fiction. Other than the support women speaking out about the issue, I have run out of ideas why women even want to compete in such hit and miss fields of optional entertainment. Write a non fiction book which content has merit beyond any recognition a panel can give it!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I would not call myself a feminist, per say....

I support equal rights for women, such as the right to vote, the right to have a job with equal pay, the right not to be subjucated by males. As a woman, I want men to acknowledge that I am worthwhile, that I have an important role, and that I am as intelligent and capable without regards to my gender.

HOWEVER,

having equality does not mean having superiority.

This statement will make some folks angry, but I firmly believe it so I'll say it anyway.

Women are NOT the same as men. There's a good reason for this, and nothing wrong with it.

Most women (not all, nothing is absolute, of course) that I know are nurturers. And women are dang good at it. Just watch a young father with a screaming toddler....he looks panicked until he can find his mate and hand the kid over (gross generalization, but you get my point).

And there are things men do better than women. For example, if my two story house is on fire and someone has to carry me down a ladder, I'd much prefer a man meeting me at the window, simply because he's most likely stronger. Yes, there are some wonderful female firefighters who may be every bit as capable of carrying someone down, and kudos to them for that.

As for the articles mentioned in the OP; that's ridiculous. Sounds to me like sour grapes by a couple of mediocre authors, who in an effort to save face are playing the gender card.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthFallingApart

Kathy Lette's books are hilarious. We should perhaps consider that she is but one person and not damn a whole movement. After all most of the social changes that women have seen have been the result of their own agitation as feminists or at least feminist supporting idividuals.

Perhaps we should use Adolph Hitler to damn all Germans. Or jim jones to Damn all Americans! or Xtians or dark haired men or Bipeds......

Sheesh

T

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The problem I have with extreme feminism are the double standards. As a police officer, it's very hard for me to prove a criminal sexual harassment (not to be confused with sexual assault) case committed by a woman on a man (I don't take care of civil suits). Jurisprudence makes it very hard for us to do so. Also, I have had to arrest men so many times because of bogus assault claims made by some women who believe that by lying to us they could "win an argument" and have the guy hauled to jail. Well... Here's what I do. After I find out it was a lie, I investigate and charge the woman for public mischief (knowingly causing the start of a false investigation). There's no way anyone male or female will waste my time.

And then there are situations like:

"I'm a woman I can do it myself!! but you can open the door for me, jerk!!"

Before the divorce : "I don't want to take care of this child alone."
After the divorce : "You'll never see your son/daughter again!"

I agree that feminism started off with the right ideas such as right to protection against marital rape, equality in the workplace (salary etc...), education, and just equality in general. That was the right thing to do. The only problem now is that I find that in certain feminist groups this ideology has been over amplified and has now become a "bash men because we don't need them" campaign. Men are now seen as animalistic, brainless, sexual zombies who are out only to overpower in the workplace and have intercourse with as many women as they can.

Here's my answer. If I get into an argument with this kind of feminist and she slaps me, I will punch her back; after all we are equal as humans now right? I've actually refused to buy drinks for women at bars. I've actually told some that now that they have been liberated, they should buy the first round for me and that I'd get the next one. It doesn't always go well, but I sometimes get my beer and she gets whatever she's drinking...

In my eyes, we are only as equal as we act. If you walk behind me, I will lead. You walk in front of me I will follow. Walk beside me, I'll hold your hand and we'll get lost together... It's that simple... At least in my eyes...

Peace

Magnum

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Man I tell ya I have experience some of your examples and have been completely wrongly accused of hitting a woman. Now you have explained yourself we are on the same page.

I don't want to be dominated by women nor do I wish to dominate. I minority of women are nutjobs sothey try to justify it by saying "I am a feminist". Mind you I am referrring to the minority.

Rgds

T

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
reply to post by EarthFallingApart

Kathy Lette's books are hilarious. We should perhaps consider that she is but one person and not damn a whole movement. After all most of the social changes that women have seen have been the result of their own agitation as feminists or at least feminist supporting idividuals.

Perhaps we should use Adolph Hitler to damn all Germans. Or jim jones to Damn all Americans! or Xtians or dark haired men or Bipeds......

Sheesh

T
Down with Bipeds!

hahaah

But seriously, why are we having this discussion again? Some bink decided she had to display her monthly spot?

Feh. Let her rot in her own bitterness. That's the quickest way of getting her over it.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
While I basically agree with the turmoil against the whine itself, sometime there are deeper issues that are not obvious. Maybe in this case she could have adjusted her tone, yet we still can't expect that if she want to keep private thing private for what causes that tone. It may go well beyond and into something intimate between the publishers, her, and the list maker.

Given that she published her whine, she obviously knows it will be taken as a whine. I just haven't found anything to weigh on either side as who is right.

They both seem wrong.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is no different than when a black person complains about blacks not being in something where all whites are....the same goes for hispanics who complain about everything being in English and not Spanish or whites who complain about hispanics getting their own holiday and every other race, religion, sex and so on that complain about their group not being included in something. Everyone now-a-days wants everything to be equal and have every imaginable possibility included. People need to stop getting their feelings hurt over dumb crap and realize that sometimes others are better than you. Life isnt fair, deal with it.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The thing I hate most about some feminists is how they want to be superior to men, but then they act like innocent little girls when men try and fight back.

Example: Let's say a female wants to be a dominator of everything, and tells her guy friends that she wants to be treated like a man. So this said female talks smack about a guy, and think she's better than him.

This guy gets fed up with her bull and raises a fist to her and confronts her like the "man" that she wants to be. Of course when this happens, she acts all girly and defenseless. That pisses me off the most. If a girl is gonna walk around saying she's equal to a man, she's gonna get treated like a man, and possibly get a slap across the face if she talks smack!

What's even worse is when women abuse men, but somehow that's okay?
that really grinds my gears.

Sorry if this offends anyone. Feel free to voice your opinion on my opinion.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

[edit on 23-2-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Kathy Lett is a kind of cross between Joan Rivers and Jamie Lee-Curtis but with gorgeous red hair. Her books are outrageous and funny. She makes her living as a “Meeja celebrity” so this is just another media stunt from her. I feel that she will be ashamed when she wakes up and hears her words a few days from now.

What irritates me is the way that some people tell little girls to kick little boys in the groin. I have then ask if perhaps should such a thing occur the little boy should get up and punch the little girl in the chest. Of course the little girl’s parents then shriek “Breast cancer”!!!! I then shriek “testicular cancer”!! They sometimes get the point. Replacing one form of oppression be it racial, gender or sexual with another is an idiotic option.

Personally there will always be some ragging between the sexes but that is bearable if there is equality of opportunity ONO. Haven’t a significant number of women made the annual publisher’s list. It seems to be a beauty contest to me with no one clearly defining beauty…

T

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Tiger5]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join