It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Ida Takes Aim at U.S. Gulf Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Hurricane Ida Takes Aim at U.S. Gulf Coast

www.foxnews.com

NEW ORLEANS — Hurricane Ida, the first Atlantic hurricane to target the United States this year, plodded Sunday toward the Gulf Coast with 105 mph winds, bringing the threat of flooding and storm surges.

A hurricane warning extended more than 200 miles of coastline from Pascagoula, Miss., east to Indian Pass, Fla. Tropical storm warnings and hurricane watches are in effect across other areas of southeastern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, including New Orleans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
National Hurricane Center: IDA Track

This storm caught me off guard. Formed over the Cancun area of the Yucatan. Seems unusual to me.

"FEMA stresses that those in temporary (housing) units should not take chances," Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Andrew Thomas said. "Leave the unit behind and evacuate to a permanent structure that will better withstand tropical weather systems and the associated winds."

FEMA IS ON THE CASE !

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on (11/8/09) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm waiting for this one to superpower up. It's been an unusally quite season for the gulf and east coast this year. No hurricane parties, for me and the buddies this summer.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This time of the year the Atlantic is already cooling off so the Hurricanes that pop up this late in the season are usually born in the shallow waters of the Gulf of Mexico or the warm waters of the Carribean.

Nothing strange about that at all. It's been a very quiet hurrican season so far this year for the mainland U.S. and the season is thankfully just about over.

Hopefully when this storm hits it will be in a weakening phase and not a strengthening phase.

A disaster of any magnitude is the last thing anyone needs in this economy.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
yeah i am on watch right now, and we have been going to the NHC Conference calls listening to the lates stats.

doesnt look like its gonna be too awful bad. Cat 2 or so, amking ladfall in the western panhandle of FL.

good luck to those in its path!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

"FEMA stresses that those in temporary (housing) units should not take chances," Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Andrew Thomas said. "Leave the unit behind and evacuate to a permanent structure that will better withstand tropical weather systems and the associated winds."

www.foxnews.com...

It is pretty sad that they have to evacuate people who are still living in a hurricane danger zone in FEMA trailers from KATRINA!!!

It was not such a good idea to park the trailers in a hurricane zone if you ask me.

Oh those poor people probably thought they would be out of those trailers in months. Now here it is 4 years since Katrina. Are those Temporary FEMA trailers designed to be habitable for this long? Hopefully the trailers still in use arent the ones coated with toxic low grade glue which is breathed in by young kids when it gets hot and moist in the air. Cause it never gets hot and moist in Louisiana!!!

Sorry... rant over. had to get that off my chest. ATS is highly therapeutic.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I went back into the archives recently and read the ATS thread on Katrina. Chilling stuff.

I just get nervous everytime a storm takes aim at the gulf coast.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
yeah i am on watch right now, and we have been going to the NHC Conference calls listening to the lates stats.

doesnt look like its gonna be too awful bad. Cat 2 or so, amking ladfall in the western panhandle of FL.

good luck to those in its path!
You are on watch? Please keep us informed of the latest when you have time. THANKS

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, I just found this.....

www.examiner.com...

There goes a state of emergency, for what I see as a relatively weak storm.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
USA Today: Major storms, U.S. hurricanes rare in November

November hurricanes that hit the USA are even rarer than major November hurricanes. Only four hurricanes have hit the USA in November since 1900 and these were all were category 1 storms that hit Florida. While Michelle's tropical storm force winds (39 to 73 mph) hit Florida, its eye didn't cross the coast, which means the storm "brushed" but didn't hit the USA.

If I am reading this correctly they are saying that NEVER has a hurricane hit the USA since 1900 in any place other than Florida AND none have been above CAT 1???

This would make this not only a RARE storm but a FIRST OF ITS KIND!

Above CAT 1 hitting somewhere other than Florida in November!

WHAT IS GOING ON. THIS IS STRANGE

What is causing this FIRST OF ITS KIND storm to form? HAARP, Global Warming/Climate Change, fate, God?

Whatever the case, this has my antenna on full alert: something this unusual and abnormal.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
USA Today: Major storms, U.S. hurricanes rare in November

November hurricanes that hit the USA are even rarer than major November hurricanes. Only four hurricanes have hit the USA in November since 1900 and these were all were category 1 storms that hit Florida. While Michelle's tropical storm force winds (39 to 73 mph) hit Florida, its eye didn't cross the coast, which means the storm "brushed" but didn't hit the USA.

If I am reading this correctly they are saying that NEVER has a hurricane hit the USA since 1900 in any place other than Florida AND none have been above CAT 1???

This would make this not only a RARE storm but a FIRST OF ITS KIND!

Above CAT 1 hitting somewhere other than Florida in November!

WHAT IS GOING ON. THIS IS STRANGE

What is causing this FIRST OF ITS KIND storm to form? HAARP, Global Warming/Climate Change, fate, God?

Whatever the case, this has my antenna on full alert: something this unusual and abnormal.

no not really... because it will make landfall in florida. far far western florida but still florida

Here is a link to look a tthe same models that the NHC and us are using to forecast for the storm

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Currently Ida is a Cat 2 heading straight for Florida, not a huge increase or change in course at the moment from normal storms, and usually decrease before making landfall.
The norm is based off of a hundred year cycle, and is hardly definitive in terms of study.

Looking forward to the storm, personally.
Wish it'd wipe the hotels off the beaches, nasty things have sprung up like mold all over the place.
We went out to the beach when Katrina hit Louisiana, me and my Dad, surfing. Whent out to the beach for Dennis. Me, my dad, and my uncle usually go fishing before hurricanes strike, good time to get grouper.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It was enough for CNN and AP to send out iPhone alerts (only ones of the day)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI

www.foxnews.com...

It is pretty sad that they have to evacuate people who are still living in a hurricane danger zone in FEMA trailers from KATRINA!!!

It was not such a good idea to park the trailers in a hurricane zone if you ask me.

Oh those poor people probably thought they would be out of those trailers in months. Now here it is 4 years since Katrina. Are those Temporary FEMA trailers designed to be habitable for this long? Hopefully the trailers still in use arent the ones coated with toxic low grade glue which is breathed in by young kids when it gets hot and moist in the air. Cause it never gets hot and moist in Louisiana!!!

Sorry... rant over. had to get that off my chest. ATS is highly therapeutic.

You are right, after one year I would think that these people would stop waiting, take some initutive and move out on their own.

I know if they are as bad as you make them out to be then I wouldn't stay there for no 4 years.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Morning Update: NOAA: 5DAY TRACK IDA

NOAA Wind Probabilities - IDA

[edit on (11/9/09) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Too much hype for a Tropical Storm (Ida has encountered a LOT of shear from the Western Front it encountered overnight) aswell as Dry-Air injection which is rapidly tearing Ida's inner structure apart as the moisture gets suffocated by the dry air coming in.

I'd expect by the next 2 runs the NHC will declare Ida as a Tropical Storm, with it being Subtropical by the time its over land.
The only concern would be the high rainfall totals other than the winds, last estimates 6 hours ago was gusts of 74kt, barely making it a CAT1 anymore.

The saving grace is that Ida is a early-November storm, had this been in September we could easily be looking at a CAT4/5.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

It has indeed been a strange hurricane season here in Florida. All the strong storms that rolled off the coast of Africa went north, up the Atlantic. Now, this one forms in November... in the Gulf. It's as if everything has been shifted to the east.

I live east of where Ida is due to hit, in the "Big Bend" area of Florida and it has been windy here since yesterday. Today is overcast with constant wind and stronger gusts.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

For a lot of those folks, the 'housing' conditions are much better than what they had before!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join