It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help being a whistle blower, to make sure I get results

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You have been given some good advice about contact organisations. Certainly don't be gunning for the store at this point or even the importer. There was a tv programme here recently about child labour in developing countries. There may even be contracts set up with the manufacturer specifically forbidding child labour, but in practice the work may be outsourced and it is difficult to control - even when local laws forbid it. The families themselves are often complicit.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by Enigma Publius

There is no conspiracy here

that is almost NEVER the case in this day and age!

persaverance dude! (i had to post something so i have this on myATS list ) s+F'd for support!

my 2p .. go to the bbc or some entity who have already reaserched this kinda of activities publicly (over worked children in sweat shops). Like a previous poster said, they have already covered sweatshop crimes in great detail and outed companies before ... they may have even seen this kind of thing before!)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Damn those Chinese anyhow...they seriously need to enforce child labor laws and general human rights issues. This thread shows that even though they and many other places are progressing nicely, there is still soo much work to do, especially in non-western nations.

I would suggest, along with the things listed here, to do a quick youtube video...make it go viral...show the box, the picture, etc.

Potential drawback would be that if its a smallish assembly company, this little one may be tracked and get in trouble, however the impact should be enough to where it may improve countless others (collateral damage I guess). So, the ends justify the means.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I would not drop it. It has fallen into your hands for a reason; and I love they way you were moved about it. I am still under the impression that it was in fact a cry for help.

The child writing, "fart" [Which is written twice] does not necessarily indicate B/S; and appears to mean crapping. It demonstrates their level of communication. I am still under the impression that it was in fact a cry for help. To me they are obviously saying that their teeth were knocked out making them use the bathroom on themselves.

It troubles me thinking that you can loose momentum. I believe she was being intelligent in her cry for help; and would like to see it bear fruit.. I do not believe you will find more pictures.

No consequencE..

Thank you.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by noconsequence]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is very sad too see. S&F.

Regardless of how the picture got into the packaging of the toy gun, the person who drew the picture was trying to make a statement about the conditions they are living in (or more so being forced to live). It was obviously put there by the child, or possibly an adult who was trying to help the child out that they work with... I don't know exactly, nor do any of us, but that doesn't mean we sit back and allow this bull# to happen.

Yes, I understand that we cannot change the way the world operates overnight, but by attacking things like this one at a time, we can slowly progress into making the world a better place. To the OP, if you need any help with anything at all, PM me, I think I may be able to give you some good advice if you still need some. If not, at least follow peoples warnings about getting an attorney and such. Good luck, and best wishes to the young child who drew the picture... how horrible it must be to be forced to work in such horrible conditions at such a young age (or any age as a matter of fact).

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The picture can mean many things, but the most you can do at this point is contact one of the agencies given to you and tell them your story and show them the picture.

Coming to ATS, while I understand the need to vent and "do something", will not expedite a possible resolution. The information is in your hands.

You also need to be realstic and understand that you could show this picture to 20 different agencies and not a one of them may be able to do much of anything. I know that won't make you feel better, but you will be doing more than what 99% of the population would do if they found this in the toy package.

Contact one of the agencies and let us know what they say.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Not sure this has been suggested so far in this thread but what I would do personally if this ever landed on my lap is contact Oprah. She has the media and the means to get action on this.

Good luck with this burden.

Rhain

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Im a Marty
Here you go, fixed it for you.. I just placed the image in here, took out the rest..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c68c556a28e7.jpg[/atsimg]

That's a very creepy and bizarre picture. It's highly unfortunate that it can't be proven to have come out of the toy by now. Forgive me for being skeptical about this, but I really don't think there's anything you can do about it at this point. If you showed it to anyone, they'll dismiss it and the big company supplying them will have lawyers all over you. I've seen some people suggesting you send this to Oprah, I would advise against that. The vast majority of people discount anything Oprah says since it all seems to be emotionally charged drivel. Perhaps you could send it to one of the big media companies, they're really good about investigating things. Not CNN though, they'll just turn it into a feel-good Anderson Cooper spiel.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i don't doubt the horrendous conditions in the sweatshops of china, all of asia etc. but I Think the drawing is too subjective to gain any legal action. If there were a note maybe, but the girl may not know how to write. If anything it made your son and others aware of the horrible things that happen in our world today, that outside lunch and recess there real people are people suffering, not just on tv and movies.

Also, I think this is a tell-tale sign of the times, sweat shops have been going on too long and with more and more info like this on the internet, the "free world" I don't think will stand for it much longer. I know it makes me sick to think that instead of playing Legos, my little brother would be making them in a 3rd world country

But who knows, right? It's all about profit margin.

To add: what type of paper is that? It looks like some kind of scroll maybe? I'm sure it isn't mead college ruled or something. Also, is that pen or something? Just a few thoughts.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by afterschoolfun]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Did your son need this toy? Perhaps before consuming, ask yourself, is this something we need? If the answer is no, the product probably came from China.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Whilst i appreciate the heart ache and pity associated with this story..and i mean that, you have to bear in mind that whilst conditions are probably bad for this kid, there are millions just like her.

Those kids are supporting their families. Of course, in a 21st century world, it should not have to happen, but it does and it will continue.

It's all very well, and perfectly legitimate to pity kids such as this girl, but wonder what will happen to her, if she is made to stop working there?

That pittance she is earning (probably less than one $ p/week), is keeping her and other family members from starvation.

What will the hundreds of thousands of kids and their families do, when they have no money to buy food? To house themselves, even in shacks?
They will most likely be forced into child sex slavery, or some other unsavory thing. Or they may die from starvation or disease.

Neither of these situations are good.

The fact that she and her peers have to work as virtual slaves, for a measly amount for very long hours (even longer from a young kids point of view), as despicable as it sounds to us in the West, it may be all that is keeping her or her siblings alive.

It's a tough one...Ideally, they would be put out of work and into school, and welfare given to the families...unfortunately, it's not an ideal world we find ourselves in...is it.

Boycotting ALL eastern made products is the only really effective way of stopping child labor exploitation there. No demand - No slave labor.

It also has the handy advantage of delaying or stopping the rampant march of the Chinese economy trampling all of ours, and making OUR kids slaves in the sweat shops we will create in order to compete with them!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hope you can do something to help and that you are given time by the media. S&F to help you.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by boredsilly
LOL Brillant really, I take my hat off to the artist! Demonise the 'evil' Chinese empire yet again this time with a small 'child' treated so badly she can't even go to the toilet ... Oh the emotion, oh the cruelity, those evil commy bastards.

Think you idiots, if only for a second!!! She can't do a pee but with pen and paper in hand shes got more then enough time to draw a picture. What do you think happens with all this poo poo and pee then ? It just hangs around on the floor all day? Perhaps someone at the end of day goes around mopping it all up. Wake up people!

Not only that, but children who pee and poo on themselves get sick and cant work anymore, its more expensive to train a new one. This seems hoaxy to me.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by Obinhi]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am Chinese, looking at the picture posted above, I see nothing wrong with it. It looks like a child doodle to me. The word "屁" written on there actually means ass or fart, at least to a person who speaks/reads Chinese. That word has nothing to do with "Pee" or "Peeing" or any type of action where she has to do her business on the floor. I'm not so sure about the crying thing either, I don't think this is ... what you think this is...

It is very awkward that this drawing ended up in the toy gun. However, there could be endless possibilities. One possibility might be the daughter of some workers or perhaps even management personnel of that manufacturer drew the picture when she was bored. Then she stuck it in one of the guns on the assembly line for fun. Of course, this is just a guess but I wouldn't jump too fast into conclusions.

Having said that, I'm just giving an opinion of what I see from the drawing. It could very likely be child doodle, instead of a child labor victim reaching out for help.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think she is chewing through the umbilical cord!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

Originally posted by truthseeker84
I am Chinese, looking at the picture posted above, I see nothing wrong with it. It looks like a child doodle to me. The word "屁" written on there actually means ass or fart, at least to a person who speaks/reads Chinese.

Well done.

I don't speak Chinese, but I can still Google.

Can you tell me if that means this wiki page is about asses or farting?

And these pages.

EDITED TO ADD:

Indeed it must:

Translation.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

I agree with a lot that you're saying.

If assuming that a kid, or at least someone who thinks like a kid was responsible for the "artwork", then would it make more sense if one viewed such drawing with a thought process of, say, a four or five-yr.-old child? Instead of thinking like an adult.

I'm not an expert on child psychology, but I'm sure we all know how unpredictable, careferee, and haphazard kids can be. Nobody really knows the stuff that goes on in their funny little brains. It would be rather pretentious of us adults if we were to act like self-proclaimed "art critics", if you guys know what I mean...

To be fair, I also used to draw a lot of weird stuff when I was a kid, and my mom even compiled all of it in a picture album. There's one piece of "art" that I am particularly embarassed about until now, especially when my mom tries to show the album to her friends and visitors (and I am now 30). It's a LOT similar to your drawing, but mine showing one guy taking a piss falling on a daisy. And beside the daisy was "crap" - you know, the one that twirls like a sundea twirl. And the guy was nude and smiling --- "nude", meaning it showed his male sex organ. As crazy and odd as it seems, I can still recall why I drew that "artwork" -- I was curious about how other people took a crap and pissed, since I was the only person I witnessed doing the stuff. So I tried imagining other people doing it, and therefore expressed my curiosity by drawing it on paper --- WHILE MAKING/HAVING FUN and passing my boredom. I dunno why I included a daisy though, but that's exactly my point -- you can't really understand how kids think, especially if you're trying to understand and interpret them with just one drawing, and drawing conclusions from it, based on your own adult way of thinking.

(edit: I still draw weird stuff btw)

[edit on 9-11-2009 by smirnoffsky]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
OP :- Whatever the meaning of this picture, I doubt you can do anything to help the artist. However, the fact that finding it, and its implications, have distressed you says something about the state of your 'soul'. I reckon all you can do is use it to educate your son and help him to understand that just because something happens far away, doesn't mean we have no responsibility for it.

Everyone else who's concerned by this, please note that there are millions of child workers producing goods for western markets, and low paid workers, and slave labourers too.
If you want to stop it happening you have to give up your cheap consumer electronics, footballs, chocolate, coffee, trainers, etc,etc.

But bear in mind that these people are dependent on this trade for survival, so the way to really help them is to pay more for the products, and make sure that's passed on to them.
Any volunteers?

The alternative seems to be pretend it doesn't happen, and just have an occasional guilty feeling when its bought to our attention.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Anyone else get the feeling that maybe the OP is overreacting here a bit?

This could just be a prank by a worker in a factory somewhere...

Or If it were a child's drawing...It could be a pic of a girl taken a pee? My nephew draw's pictures of himself taken a "wizz" everywhere...I don't see the seriousness of this...

If it had a message like..."Help Us" or "Need Help" or even "Help" in this person's native language then I would be more open to the notion that something could be wrong here. I see nothing that is leading to the fact that this person or child whoever they may be is actually in some sort of distress or danger....

Everyone who see's this picture will have their own take on it...

It's disturbing to me that the OP writes some miraculous sad story and everyone's logic seemed to have flown out the window...don't let your emotions think for you here folks...

Step back, take a deep breathe, and let's investigate instead of speculate what this may or may not be.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think it's a great rendering exposing the vampires that lurk in china. I especially like the fangs and electrical pulses coming from the eyes. It's a little known fact that they are highly skilled at mass producing guns. The artwork however, is lacking. This is due to the lack of the sun's rays which allow them to fully comprehend the complete color spectrum.

I can not believe you started a thread on your "interpretation" of art. I couldn't draw that well. That could be a chupacabra, wolverine, nephilim, or even the mythical hephalump. Everyone knows that china has very liberal labor laws, if any laws even exist. Neither the Americans, Brits, Japanese or any other first world country, are going to give up their middle class comfort and boycot Chinese goods unless you parade little Tsing Lu Chan out in front of everone. Then, and only then would you have a chance for anyone to listen. You'd probably need a celebrity like Angelina Jolie to help as well. You could have Jesus in your living room turning water into jaegermeister and no one would care or believe it. Anyway, I gotta run! Dancing with the tards is on and Billy has soccer practice.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join