It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches to Make $$$ on Healthcare Reform?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Healthcare Provision Seeks to Embrace Prayer Treatments

A little-noticed measure would put Christian Science healing sessions on the same footing as clinical medicine. Critics say it violates the separation of church and state.

Backed by some of the most powerful members of the Senate, a little-noticed provision in the healthcare overhaul bill would require insurers to consider covering Christian Science prayer treatments as medical expenses.

...it would prohibit discrimination against "religious and spiritual healthcare."

..... -- Christian Science is a small church, and the prayer treatments can cost as little as $20 a day.

.... the possibility that other churches might seek reimbursements for so-called spiritual healing.

www.latimes.com...

Am I reading this right?

Let me get this straight. If I have a broken leg, I can hire a preacher to ask god to fix it. If god does not fix it, it is because I have a sin debt.

Does this mean the church will revive the practice of selling indulgences again?

From 1184 right up through the 17th century heretics were burned at the stake. Many of these "heretics" were those who sought to aid those who were ill or diseased. It was the church's stand that these people were afflicted as punishment from god. Anything done to help alleviate their suffering was considered as an inteferrence of god's judgement on them, and thus the crime of "heresy" or "witchcraft".

How long before we return to this type of religious tyranny again?

After reading this article, I cannot help but wonder if we will see more abuse of humanity in the guise of legalized "faith healing".

Religions already own most of the hospitals. I suppose faith healing will be the solution for health care for the indigent and gullable.

Either way...look who is profiting from your illness.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
yes you are reading that right. and if im not mistaken that got defeated.

and the whole point was "spiritual healing" was supposed to be on the same level as real medicine.

the messed up thing is, apparently some groups go to their churches when they are ill or whatever and pay them to pray for the person to get better.
under that bill basically the govt. wouldve been paying people to pray for others.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

During the day, Davis may see multiple patients and pray for them at different moments. He charges them $20 to $40 for the day, saying, "I think that it would be considered modest by any standard."

Do most churches charge for prayer?

Why is this not considered fraud or extortion?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I commented on tis last week on RawStory. They are going to use this provision as a cash stream. Think of it this way, they can literally charge the govt. at least once a week by saying that they are giving health prayer to everybody on sunday. So imagine you have a congregation of 400 that meets on sunday. You could charge the govt. 20 dollars per head, 8,000 dollars every sunday which could end up being 32,000 dollars a month minimum per month. We all know how churches can run the biggest scams, by giving these guys this opportunity to make money they will be money making machines.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just don't understand why the insurance companies don't just tell the people seeking reimbursement for prayers to screw off. If companies have to accommodate anything anyone believes to be a medical procedure they will go out of business.

Maybe that is the plan.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

From 1184 right up through the 17th century heretics were burned at the stake. Many of these "heretics" were those who sought to aid those who were ill or diseased. It was the church's stand that these people were afflicted as punishment from god. Anything done to help alleviate their suffering was considered as an inteferrence of god's judgement on them, and thus the crime of "heresy" or "witchcraft".

How long before we return to this type of religious tyranny again?

A long time, you are blowing something that is not an issue way out of proportion. Burning heretics has nothing to do with christian scientist being covered by healthcare.

After reading this article, I cannot help but wonder if we will see more abuse of humanity in the guise of legalized "faith healing".

We already have the it is called psychiatry, no science to back it up in any way and no proof of any cure from them.

Religions already own most of the hospitals. I suppose faith healing will be the solution for health care for the indigent and gullable.

Religions already own most of the hospitals? Where did you get that from? Is it because they have names like Saint Jude you think that "Religions" own them? Please show me the legal religious body that owns most of the hospitals.

Either way...look who is profiting from your illness

Well according to you i guess it is these religions that own the hospitals.

new topics

top topics

join