It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s third largest ice store vanishing!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
All of China's agricultural sectors have experienced a unexpected rise in temperature that the people were never prepared for.

Crops are drying up. Food prices rose by large percentages. People have less money to buy other things.

This is "global warming" in the sense that the rising temperature is affecting agricultural growth.

What you have just explained is not global warming. I think the more proper term to describe the phenomena that you laid out would be China warming and not global warming.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Flagged for starting a good topic (even if I disagree with your position)

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
people seem to think that because we are getting decent at producing atmospheric models, that we have some grand knowledge of the weather when in fact when it comes to specifics we know very little and even to this day there are many data sparse regions where there is only one metar station for several hundred square miles!

Exactly, people dont realise that the models analyse trends, rather than the chaos theory. It simply is not possible to determine what the earth is going to do. Its just to unpredictable.

But like you said, people arent analysing the raw data from met offices, only climatic averages. It would probably surprise people that globally, evaporation rates have actually decreased phenomenally over the last 15 or so years.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
OP, wow science, you just blew me away with your proof-NOT.
Global Cooling-Global Warming-Now Global Climate Change

All instituted to steal more money and control the sheeple. It seems some have fallen for it.

For the others, a couple of nice vids for us to have a little laugh at the idiocy.

Now, here is my evidence, to dispute me you have to watch all of my EVIDENCE.

How do like them apples?

Edit to add S&F, since it looks like most of us are not fools, oops sorry misspoke, fooled.

[edit on 11/8/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Originally posted by genius/idoit
hold on give me three more minutes while you ponder this,how does my government charging me more money help the alleged situation?

Apparently only you and HotSauce want to discuss that and 'causation' issues, despite the fact this thread is about the retreat of the Tibetan plateau glaciers and the impact that will likely have.

I believe that anyone who is not competent enough to identify the simple topic of a thread, is likely to have similar challenges with their contributions. Food for thought.

EDITED TO ADD:

"And others."

Clearly most in this thread are interested in discussing global warming and causation issues.

One last time.... While everyone is tripping all over themselves to share their political views, can someone actually dispute the event and its likely impact described in the source articles?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by OzWeatherman

Not only that we don't know if it's warming or cooling

"We" do, some Americans don't.

I know it's harder to appreciate down there where it's always hot. It's not as immediately obvious when it goes from warm to only moderately warm. But when it goes from lots of snow, to nearly none or none period, you notice, everyone here notices. The further towards the equator you go, the less apparent it's going to become, but just because you don't personally see it when you walk outside, doesn't mean it isn't happening all over the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Why weren't you more specific in your titling then?Because sensationalism sells.You even have an ! in your title like it's an ad for a magic act.You got exactly what you wanted.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Apparently only you and HotSauce want to discuss that and 'causation' issues, despite the fact this thread is about the retreat of the Tibetan plateau glaciers and the impact that will likely have. I believe that anyone who is not competent enough to identify the simple topic of a thread, is likely to have similar challenges with their contributions. Food for thought.

From your OP

I would say all of this sounds rather bad... Slow train wreck, anyone? Whatever you believe about how we got to this point, the situation does not look good for the near term. Is there any question humanity is in for some very difficult times?

It seems like maybe you should read your own OP.

It just looks like another gloom and doom Global Warming Bull# thread to the rest of us.

Or explain to us what the quote I used from the OP is supposed to mean? Does it mean we should do what? What is the purpose of the thread? Maybe you should include it in the OP.

Since we are too stupid to understand the OP.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

I live in Chicago baby don't tell me about cold.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

My apologies. Ok the retreat of the Tibeten glaciers could have horrific consequences by those in the area who benefit from the glaciers. I highly recomend that they start planning on how they are going to take care of THEIR problem before it harms THEIR countries citizens.

Just want to add that there is not really any proof that this has anything to do with global warming.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

We" do, some Americans don't. I know it's harder to appreciate down there where it's always hot. It's not as immediately obvious when it goes from warm to only moderately warm. But when it goes from lots of snow, to nearly none or none period, you notice, everyone here notices. The further towards the equator you go, the less apparent it's going to become, but just because you don't personally see it when you walk outside, doesn't mean it isn't happening all over the rest of the world.

I am sorry, live in the Midwest US. And it seems we have been a hell of lot more snow and longer and colder winters over the last ten years.

Let me guess your retort-Global Climate Change?

A broken record is a broken record.

See this post-Oh no, the sky is falling!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hey! Mr. altruistic you should have named your thread how can we help the thirsty Tibetans.Know why you didn't?
replies; 0
flags; even less

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Not only that we don't know if it's warming or cooling

"We" do, some Americans don't.

I know it's harder to appreciate down there where it's always hot. It's not as immediately obvious when it goes from warm to only moderately warm. But when it goes from lots of snow, to nearly none or none period, you notice, everyone here notices. The further towards the equator you go, the less apparent it's going to become, but just because you don't personally see it when you walk outside, doesn't mean it isn't happening all over the rest of the world.

sure you notice that in the last ten years or so... but what happens when in another ten years you guys are buried in snow.

the thing is there is no way to as a matter of factly say that this trend of "global warming" is going to continue. there are very very few metoc observations coming out of canada. and i know as a forecaster my self working in the NE region that most of those stations are not correctly augmented. and when an ASOS goes on auto there are all sorts of possible errors. temperature aspirator fans go out and when that happens you see anywhere from 1-10ºC error in temperature!

while i do not discount your first hand witness of there being less snow, may i point out that there are other places in North America that are getting overloads of snow and EARLY.

that is how this big ol world works.

if the long wave pattern is net average ridging over your part of canada for the winter, then yuo may get less snow. that does not mean that the globe is warming, it just means that the upper atmospheric pattern is in a cycle, and its your turn to be warm for a decade or two.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
It just looks like another gloom and doom Global Warming Bull# thread to the rest of us.

Or explain to us what the quote I used from the OP is supposed to mean? Does it mean we should do what? What is the purpose of the thread? Maybe you should include it in the OP.

Wait a second. I dont recall Loam saying anywhere that global warming was responsible for this?

All he's doing is making an observation and questioning wether or not the reduction in glacial ice is attributed to human intervention.'

And yes we do know that the earth has cooled over the last 2 years.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hot Sauce and I didn't make it political your post did that all by itself.

They brought back a visual lesson in global warming so stark that censors allowed the programme makers to broadcast a frank exposé. Their film attracted the attention of the Communist party’s leaders and has put climate change at the centre of a remarkably open debate in China ahead of a summit on the issue in Copenhagen next month.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

He posted an article about it.See my above post

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Wait a second. I dont recall Loam saying anywhere that global warming was responsible for this?

All he's doing is making an observation and questioning wether or not the reduction in glacial ice is attributed to human intervention.'

And yes we do know that the earth has cooled over the last 2 years.

From Loam

I would say all of this sounds rather bad... Slow train wreck, anyone? Whatever you believe about how we got to this point, the situation does not look good for the near term. Is there any question humanity is in for some very difficult times?

Oz, this maybe why the rest of us is jumping on the OP, not Loam.
As you know, weather cannot be locked down by regional observations. Hell, meteorology is one of the newest sciences. And with the quack scientists out there and the quacks in Washington using the quack science, we are a little gung ho on shooting down any gloom and doom crap they will use to institute the largest tax increase, one world government and largest takeover by the US government.

So sorry if we jumped all over Loam for another doom and gloom Global Warming type post. Really sorry-NOT.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Why weren't you more specific in your titling then?Because sensationalism sells.You even have an ! in your title like it's an ad for a magic act.You got exactly what you wanted.

A. Funniest damned thing I've read today.

B. You cant 'sell' what has been given freely. I'm not paid for my posts around here.

C. It is now "sensationalism" to use punctuation????

Oh boy, I spit my coffee out on that one.

reply to post by endisnighe

It seems like maybe you should read your own OP.

(Off topic: I wonder if reading comprehension can be improved? Yours could use some polish, imo.)

Originally posted by loam
I believe that anyone who is not competent enough to identify the simple topic of a thread, is likely to have similar challenges with their contributions. Food for thought.

Hmmm.... One billion people, a sizable portion of the human population, are likely in for some very extreme times... Extreme times produce extreme displacements... There will be extreme suffering and desperate motivations... These people come from countries with big armies and big nukes...

So while you're arguing your politics, blindly protecting your worthless devalued personal assets, maybe we should see the real storm clouds brewing and start thinking about how to save our collective asses?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
sure you notice that in the last ten years or so... but what happens when in another ten years you guys are buried in snow.

I find it hard to believe that you're a meteorologist and believe that the Earth goes through 10 year cycles of warming and cooling...

[edit on 11/8/2009 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well if the global temperature has actually decreased, while water has disappeared, perhaps we should entertain the notion that someone may be stealing the water.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join