It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s third largest ice store vanishing!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I'm fascinated by your response.

I don't think that fascinated is quite the right word for it...

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Take a good look at those glaciers, or what's left of them, we're the last generation to lay eyes on them.

The IPCC report on climate change was not that catastrophic. In fact, the projected effects are relatively insignificant. The unsubstantiated fear-mongering is a tool to convince us to obey the will of a small minority.

Also, glacial growth and shrinkage is not a good example for warming. Warmer air holds more moisture and precipitates more. Assuming parallel universes, a glacier at 31 degrees Fahrenheit would more likely be bigger then the same glacier at 27 degrees.

I am not saying that the earth is not warming, it just isn't happening the way Al Gore and his ilk say it is. Al Gore would not make money and would not be relevant if he told the truth.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
sigh...

if the snow is melting and lakes are drying up, where the hell is the water supposed to be going?

do you even comprehend the volume of water that has supposedly disappeared?? there is such a thing as the law of conservation. that water has to go some where. it cannot just vanish. and it is very highly unlikeley that it has been taken to the sea in rain clouds considering the effects of orographic lifting and the mechanisms involved with moisture interaction with terrain.

we would be hearing of massive flooding along major rivers if there was really that much water being transferred.

Exactly what I was thinking. If the glaciers were melting, Why werent the rivers flooding during the melt off? Instead there were reports of the rivers drying up .

I also find it suspicious that there are no before & after photos in any of the links provided. Am I just to take their word for it that this area was covered with glaciers just a few years before? Show me the proof.

It seems to me there is a strange situation of the Earth not producing Ice at the same rate it once did and it cannot any longer produce ice at a rate sufficient to keep up with melting.

Is the Earth's atmosphere drier now than it was before?

Are we experiencing less rainfall in galcial areas than previously during winter months?

What is affecting the rain cycle in these areas?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Look for every article tht you can produce about some ice sheet or glacier melting I can produce an article that says one is growing bigger. Plus even if they are all melting, it is not like the water is evaporating of f of the face of the earth. It is still here. It will still rain.

The earth changes. That is what it does. It always has and it always will. I suppose, without joking, if a billion Asians fnd themselves without water then they would be relocated to wherever there is more water. Humans adapt to change. It is why our species is so successful.

Plus the best post on here was the guy who said if that much ice melted tht fast there would be a huge flood and other such things and it wouldn't be a huge suprise tht you would just stumble on.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Ice caps and glaciers growing around the world, penguins looking for warmth!
| January 14, 2009 | |
30 years later, Arctic and Antarctic ice has actually increased, and is growing at fastest rate in recorded history.
ilovecarbondioxide.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

What if all the things you want to do to help(which I find commendable)are based on misinformation?

I've looked at the facts, it seems plain as day to me. It's only "misinformation" in America, where everything is a left-wing or right-wing conspiracy, the rest of the world is on board for the most part. The only time you see people question it, is after you find out they've been into the American political propaganda.

Do you really think you'd be doubting it if you lived in the shadow of that mountain? Or if global warming wasn't a right/left talking point in your country?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Ice caps and glaciers growing around the world, penguins looking for warmth!
| January 14, 2009 | |
30 years later, Arctic and Antarctic ice has actually increased, and is growing at fastest rate in recorded history.
ilovecarbondioxide.com...

You consider I love carbon dioxide.com a reliable source? Seriously?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
I am not saying that the earth is not warming, it just isn't happening the way Al Gore and his ilk say it is. Al Gore would not make money and would not be relevant if he told the truth.

Buts its technically not. Global temperatures have actually decreased over the last 2 years. I dont think Al Gore was trying to make money, he just didnt take into account the lack of obersvational meteorological data over the last 150 odd years. We still do not know if this is natural or man influenced change

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

It took me 3 minutes to find and type up those links.

But you apparently didn't read them

Your first link.

Throughout much of the Tibetan Plateau, high-altitude glaciers are dwindling in the face of rising temperatures. The situation is potentially dire for the hundreds of millions of people living in China, India and throughout southeast Asia who depend on the glaciers for their water supply.

Pointing out a regional difference hardly converts this article into what you say it says...

Surging glaciers are common and do not necessarily mean a glacier is growing in overall size. But the fact that dozens of them have all surged in the same region hints that larger climate forces are at work.

Your second link.

...California Glaciers...

I'm sure the billion people in Asia potentially affected by the retreat of their glaciers will be relieved by the growth of one of ours over here.

Moreover, that article says:

With glaciers retreating in the Sierra Nevada, the Rocky Mountains and elsewhere in the Cascades, Mount Shasta — the southernmost volcano in the Cascade range — is actually benefiting from changing weather patterns over the Pacific Ocean.

So in other words, another exception to the observed rule.

Your third link.

Just a rehash of the first.

You were saying?

[edit on 8-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well I say since the rest of the world is so sure they are right then let your government redistribute your weatlth to fix the problem and we will call it even for keeping you safe during the cold war. Deal?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The situation is potentially dire for the hundreds of millions of people living in China, India and throughout southeast Asia who depend on the glaciers for their water supply.

Well reading this reminds me of an old saying. Sounds like a personal problem to me. So glaciers moved around now parts of China and India may have a water shortage. Sound to me like China and India need to work on findng and implementing a solution.

So now I gues we are all expected to chip in everytime the earth decides to make some adjustments? So I gues we need to have the earth chip in to pay for tornado damage, earthquakes, fires, volcanoes, hurricanes, comets, meteors etc happen?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Like China

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

Well I say since the rest of the world is so sure they are right then let your government redistribute your weatlth to fix the problem and we will call it even for keeping you safe during the cold war. Deal?

Keeping us safe would be not starting wars to begin with, thanks. You're getting off topic.

It doesn't matter what we do, like it or not America sets the example for the world to follow. China is starting to look at initiatives that would leap frog over America, perhaps that's what it'll take, America out of the picture. We can only hope.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

hold on give me three more minutes while you ponder this,how does my government charging me more money help the alleged situation?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
reply to post by HotSauce

and die of heatstroke and dehydration.
you forgot death by heatstroke and dehydration.

Actually, with the projected increase in temperature rise, there will be a net decrease in temperature related deaths because less people will die of cold related deaths. I am not saying that warming would be a good thing, I am just telling the whole story.

Where has the rain gone? Wouldn't this be more on an indicator of cooling?

Maybe its just an indicator that the glaciers are melting faster than they can replace the lost water, and nothing else.

The best way to deal with this crisis (if it ever becomes one) and others that have been pointed out is innovation through technology and adaptation to new realities. Investing trillions in the BS Kyoto Protocol is not going to help anyone short term and only slightly delay the effects long term.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by DINSTAAR

Buts its technically not. Global temperatures have actually decreased over the last 2 years. I dont think Al Gore was trying to make money, he just didnt take into account the lack of obersvational meteorological data over the last 150 odd years. We still do not know if this is natural or man influenced change

i was waiting for you to step in and back me up here

people seem to think that because we are getting decent at producing atmospheric models, that we have some grand knowledge of the weather when in fact when it comes to specifics we know very little and even to this day there are many data sparse regions where there is only one metar station for several hundred square miles!

link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Not only that we don't know if it's warming or cooling

link   

Dude you are from Canada. If we go down who in the hell would keep you from being next. You guys would be speaking Chinese the week after we started.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
All of China's agricultural sectors have experienced a unexpected rise in temperature that the people were never prepared for.

Crops are drying up. Food prices rose by large percentages. People have less money to buy other things.

This is "global warming" in the sense that the rising temperature is affecting agricultural growth.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

reply to post by OzWeatherman

Not only that we don't know if it's warming or cooling

Seems to me what we have is global warming then global cooling which leads me to believe we will all die horrible deaths due to global averaging.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join