It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visions of another world, Visionary Art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

Visionary art is art that purports to transcend the physical world and portray a wider vision of awareness including spiritual or mystical themes, or is based in such experiences.

link

This thread is dedicated to Visionary Art, a form of art that has a long history and has since served as a medium for the portrayal of visions, dreams, spiritual perceptions and psychic phenomena.

You many know some of the famous visionaries like William Blake, Hieronymus Bosch, Dali, Ernst Fuchs, Mati Klarwein or Alex Grey. These people truly mastered the skill to put visions onto paper/canvases etc.

If you have encountered some paintings/drawings or sculptures of visionary artists you like, please post them here and tell us what you like about them, how they may have enhanced your awareness or perception.
If you are an artist then don't hesitate to post your creations! They are more than welcome.

I'll start with one of my favorite artists out there, called Bernard Dumaine.
Have a look:

I also admire the work of Artur Golacki.
See for yourself:

And if you haven't heard of Kris Kuksi, go here:

Kuksi

The love for detail just amazes me!

I can relate to those very pieces of art, these places look familiar, as if I have been there....

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Another Visionary artist is Alex Grey. His work touches a special place within my essence.

www.alexgrey.com...

alexgrey.com...

It is a place so long forgotten but so familiar.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peregrine13

Yes indeed! I love Alex Greys work, especially his Chapel of Sacred Mirrors! Fascinating art!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Why do these examples seem to be rooted in a theme of nightmare? I would think that the word visionary, would inspire more brightness
and beauty as opposed to dark and hopeless. Just my opinion,
although I believe that to be the most basic thing that all art
is employed by. The power to sway an opinion.
I like your avatar much better.
Still SnF for you.
I would like to see more threads like this on ATS.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
thank you! kris kuski's work blows my mind. incredible.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey randyvs, thank you for the comment.

Its all about perception and emotional responses, those examples might indeed appeal nightmarish to some, and for others its the exact opposite. Visions can be beautiful and enlightening, they can be terrifying and scary, it depends on the receiver and the interpretation of the viewer. But I find your emotional response interesting, the relation to nightmares, it might be similar to what you experienced in a nightmare subconsciously.

My avatar is a small excerpt of Mati Klarwein's painting "Annonciation".

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Experiencing another plane is not always a pleasant thing, most likely that is why some/most works have elements of nightmares. And its not always something that the recipient of these visions wanted to experience, hence the element of being trapped found in many works

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The following site is very recommendable for anyone interested in surreal and visionary art, its called the Beinart International Surreal Art Collective. You will find many talented artists there.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
hm expected more input from fellow ATSlers, or at least more interest

top topics

join