It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is changing the american healthcare such an issue?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Please help me because im struggling to find an answer to that question, albeit i am completely ignorant as to what goes on when it comes to healthcare in america.

I dont understand medicare or medicaid i will search on it when i have time.

I just dont get why so many americans are up in arms about obama trying to change the system?

As it is over here when i have been injured or ill, and i have been both many times all it takes is a simple trip to the hospital and they fix me up, worst comes to worst i have to pay £8 pound for a prescription.

I dont know if thats how it generally works in america but i dont like the idea of having to pay for medical costs and insurance it doesnt make much sense to me especially in this economic climate.

Over here we have the NHS lord knows its not perfect but i would much prefer that that any other system i suppose, So im just wondering why are you all so angry about it? half of me thinks that people are just riled up because they dont like obama and are scared of change, Isnt that what he promised?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

Here's a few examples of the American system, from my perspective.

Break a finger while working so you go to the hospital. If you have insurance you pay a small amount, maybe $5-20, for a co-pay. Then they bill your insurance probably $500-$1000 depending if you needed X-rays or not. If your insurance doesn't cover the whole amount you pay for the rest yourself.

Getting a root canal will cost you between $1000-$2000, some billed to insurance, but likely 25-50% of that is out of pocket to you.

The new healthcare bills are being called Socialized medicine, but they're not... We will be FORCED to buy insurance out of our own pockets. So, I might have average insurance through my job and have to pay more to have insurance the government says is enough.

For those without insurance they will need to come up with enough money to pay for insurance! This is not a tax, it is out of YOUR OWN MONEY, after paying taxes! So someone working at McDonald's might make around $15,000 a year before taxes, but be required to pay $15,000 a year to have insurance!

This whole thing is a giant mess that will truly ruin the middle class and cause an immense amount of homelessness and people jailed. It's a disaster!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

I see what you mean!

So your saying as it stands now all of the money you pay for healthcare over there comes out of your taxes? much like it does over here?.

But if obama gets his way then basicly you have to pay on top of what you get taxed already?

So basicly its a rip off and a sort of stealth tax?

Thanks for the input Star for your time

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Reading]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reading
I dont know if thats how it generally works in america but i dont like the idea of having to pay for medical costs and insurance it doesnt make much sense to me especially in this economic climate.

They will be doubling or tripling the cost of insurance, not getting rid of it. They will also be taxing the money we use to pay for our insurance. They will also make it a criminal offense to not have insurance if you can't pay. This will be enforced by heavy fines and even jail time. All of this will increase the cost of the actual healthcare that we get AFTER we pay for it as well.

None of this will be free. It will just add red tape, extra expense and more control over the individual citizen and will cause a great deal more financial and health hardships than it will cure.

It isn't about healthcare. It is about power and control.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

See when you put it like that i can identify with what your saying!

This is what i like about ATS i can get your perpective on things and it forces me to change my opinion about the topic!

So its basicly a stealth tax and a way of gaining more control over people?

In that case i understand now why your all angry about it! i would be!

At least over here they have the decency to sneak things like this in without much public uproar

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

What is that a self portrait?

Listen im not tying to troll, im trying to get some perspective on the situation over there because i am pretty niave about it.

I just wanted some information from my cousins from across the pond because as you probably geussed they dont give us the facts on the MSM over here!

But if asking for information so as to better my understanding of the situation over there is trolling then i geuss im buggered!

Maybe read your own signature next time and dont jump to crazy troll like conclusions
Just breath and chill out were all freinds here!

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Reading]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
American health care sucks like a Hoover.

Nobody should go broke because they get sick. Nobody should die because they can't go to the doctor. Nobody should lose their home because they owe medical bills.

If you can't see that American health care sucks then you are brainwashed.

PS I am American but live in Canada currently so don't bother slamming me telling me I don't know the difference.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

reply to post by notreallyalive

So your saying as it stands now all of the money you pay for healthcare over there comes out of your taxes? much like it does over here?.

Actually right now most insurance is NOT paid by taxes, it is paid out of pocket or by your employer. I think around 20% of Americans do not have any type of health insurance currently and have to pay everything out of pocket.

Medicaid and Medicare, from what little I know of them, are paid by our tax money.

p.s. I didn't at all think of you as trolling or just trying to get stars; it felt lik an honest question from someone who does not live in America.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

The problem is America has people are lazy... There are all these lazy people who don't get healthcare so that other people will pay for them. I need to see into the soul of these lazy people to understand, plus when they get cancer they go to the emergency room and get fixed, so its not such a big deal really. If everyone gets healthcare America will become unproductive and the working people will stop working so they can be lazy to!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
America is a free country and the only country ever to make every one sovereign. Things are pretty messed up right now even in our healthcare, but Obama and his thugs are trying to strip us of the freedom that we have left. Things could be done to fix our healthcare problem without socializing it. Basically we want to stay free, not depend on our government or pay for someone elses healthcare.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
reply to post by Reading

The problem is America has people are lazy... There are all these lazy people who don't get healthcare so that other people will pay for them. I need to see into the soul of these lazy people to understand, plus when they get cancer they go to the emergency room and get fixed, so its not such a big deal really. If everyone gets healthcare America will become unproductive and the working people will stop working so they can be lazy to!!!

Everywhere has lazy people! you only have to watch jeremy kyle to see this

But no everywhere has lazy or sick or unable to help themselves people i dont think we should just abandon people because they cant afford certain medications

That makes us no better than thirdworld medical care doesnt it?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think given the timing and moment, this question is an excellent one. Especially from someone not living in the US.

In my view, what a person like me sees in the American Health Care system as is, is a lot of faults and downfalls. I also see a lot of good. I for one believe in personal responsibility. It is my responsibility to take care of and protect my own body and family.

I also think that is has become a big deal for all the wrong reasons. Power, not our well being. If something like this were to pass it is essential a tax on just living. No way to avoid that.

On a side note, I find Mr Bobs post quite ironic to claim trolling when he himself provide nothing to the argument/debate/discussion except for...wait for it....trolling!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

In America the propaganda by the government and the big insurance company have everybody fighting for the wrong reasons as usual.

The biggest danger about health care reform in the Nation is not about government run health care and neither putting caps on what the private health care insurance can or not charge.

The biggest problem and one that many people understand and are very much in the right to be on arms about it, is the unconstitutionality of the nations voters and tax payer to be forced to pay for private insurance by mandate or be penalized, nowhere in the constitution of our nation say that we are to be forced to becomes slaves and servants to private entities.

If the corrupted government we have gets away with a bill full of mandates against the American people this opens a door to challenging the constitutional rights of the people in the nation.

A very dangerous and unprecedented issue that is be taken by our elected congress right now and it will be challenged.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Reading

nowhere in the constitution of our nation say that we are to be forced to becomes slaves and servants to private entities.

I guess you are saying damned either way -

Currently there is one choice, which is not much of a choice...

I guess we are damned either way cause you are also describing the Health insurance system.

But as of now we can pick DISEASE?

Enjoy it while it lasts people!

[edit on 8-11-2009 by Janky Red]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's an issue because the insurance companies are spending 100's of millions to make it an issue. It's life or death for these corporates who want to keep reaming Americans up the a$@! These corporates have convinced millions of rednecks in the USA that their way of life is at stake if they cannot continue screwing Americans over. It's a real circus but like the saying goes "only in America"

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Reading

You just took a page out of Nixon's playbook. We have him to thank for the current health care system.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Reading

But no everywhere has lazy or sick or unable to help themselves people i dont think we should just abandon people because they cant afford certain medications

well then we can round up all these lazy people and fine them for being lazy, or...
Our we could turn them into hotdogs and fund healthcare for the non lazy people this way!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Reading

well then we can round up all these lazy people and fine them for being lazy, or...
Our we could turn them into hotdogs and fund healthcare for the non lazy people this way!

Or we could just stick them in camps?.... oh no wait that didnt work before cant recall why?

Oh yeah because it was the most evil plan ever concucted

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
[edit on 8-11-2009 by Janky Red]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join