It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.7 magnitude Indonesian quake reported

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

WASHINGTON - A strong 6.7-magnitude earthquake has shaken Indonesia, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Sunday.

The USGS said the quake occurred 10 miles north-northwest of Raba, Sumbawa, Indonesia, at a depth of 11.4 miles at 3:41 a.m. local time (12:41 p.m. EST).

There was no reported tsunami warning.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
UPDATE

An official from Indonesia's meteorology agency told Reuters there had been reports of panic in Mataram, the capital of Lombok, where a strong tremor was felt.

"We haven't got any reports of damage or injuries. Communications are not cut," said Hardiatno from Indonesia's meteorology agency.

Indonesia is situated in an area of intense seismic activity known as the "Pacific Ring of Fire".

An earthquake of magnitude 7.6 struck off West Sumatra in Indonesia on Sept. 30 and killed hundreds of people and caused massive property damage.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Hello there,
Yeah Indonesia is extremely active these days. There is so much going on in that region it makes me wonder if Toba is stirring too. I would absolutely love to go to Indonesia to study this region after I graduate. Compared to the rest of the world Indonesia is bumpin both volcanically and seismically absolutely a virtual wonderland to a geologist like me.

If Toba were to activate it would be 100's of times worse than the Megathrust that caused the tsunami, it could kill millions across the globe. So I wonder if anybody is monitoring that beast for activity. It would only be logical to find something going on there with all of the activity within the Sumatran/Indonesian region going on.

Nice find looks like a deep enough quake it could be magma movement or subduction movements or both.

new topics

join