It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Hood Suspect: Death Penalty?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I believe that the most likely scenario is that Hasan will face the death penalty. What will happen if convicted, is what I question. I have to wonder whether the Pres. will condone or commute a death penalty sentence, though I believe that his position (originally Obama opposed capital punishment) has changed. Whatever the Pres. may do can only be speculation at this point. I do believe that whatever the outcome, the decision should be determined by the UCMJ.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
He will not be given the death penalty. Although, he will face the death penalty charge.

I reason that because the world community will ultimately rally support for him to get life. Obama will be under immense pressure from within the country to sign off on death. But remember Obama is out to change the world's view of the Barbaric
US.

If Obama chooses death, then the he would have a difficult task of changing the way the world views the US.

Life it is.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You're assessment will probably turn out to be correct.
A lot of politics surrounding this act...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'm universally against the death penalty.

I'm not against life incarceration. He killed a dozen people, wounded three times that many, and everyone saw him do it. He's guilty. Give him a trial, and put him in a box with a bed and a window facing a brick wall.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

And this is why we weed victims and survivors out of juries. Our justice system is not based on revenge, and it never should be.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
In military court, who sits in judge and jury for a capital case?
Is it similar to civilian courts in that it's comprised of peers on a jury, or is it a different set up?

ETA: Never mind

Who Decides Sentence
In a military capital case, the convening authority -- a high ranking commanding officer who decides to bring the case to a court martial -- decides if the death penalty will be sought. Once decided, the convening authority picks those service members who will serve as panel members/jurors. One requirement for the panel is that if the accused so chooses, at least 1/3 of the panel must consist of enlisted personnel. The panel must consist of 12 members. (Rules for Courts-Martial 501(a)).

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
i kind of hope he gets life in prison.

he would probably get put in one of those 9 by 5 foot cells and gets an hour of exercise a day.
40 years of existing while not existing at all should be sufficient punishment. (Well...as far as what can legally be done)
death is too quick and easy.

Not me.

I can't wait for him to find out that the 70 virgins promise is a lie.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
He should get the death penalty, no questions asked.

Our prison system is broken, what good would it do for him to be in there for life and be afforded privileges.

Death should be penalized by death. That is if he is found guilty. If he did it then he deserves the punishment.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

And this is why we weed victims and survivors out of juries. Our justice system is not based on revenge, and it never should be.

Getting harder, I'd imagine to do that -- weed victims and survivors out of juries. I agree with you about the justice system, and glad it is so. I think it works, for the most part.

I think the victims should have a voice. I chose to answer the OP in a direct manner.

cheers

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
What s shame this creep did shot himself or die when he was shot. Would sure save a lot of money and heartache for the families of those he killed and the survivors of this atrocity. The only problem I would have with him getting the death penalty is the years it would take to actually get it done.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Adding a link to Hasan's power point presentation.

The Koranic World View As It Relates To Muslims In The US Military [sic]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
*Update*

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the accused Fort Hood gunman, is paralyzed from the waist down, his lawyer said Friday. "It appears he won't be able to walk in the future," said Hasan's civilian attorney, retired Army Col. John Galligan.

Hasan also has severe pain in his hands, the attorney said.

Alleged Fort Hood Shooter paralyzed...

[edit on 13-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join