It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this what they call sleep paralysis?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well, I dunno about you, homeboy, but for me dreams can initiate the sleep paralysis episodes. There's a big difference between having a dream and sleep paralysis. Dreams can leave you with vivid feelings, but they're not physical whatsoever. Sleep paralysis is a stage where you can physicaly feel sensations, and you're alert to the situation. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but you can go ahead and laugh at everyone labeling this as a sleep paralysis episode. You're only laughing at the truth, though.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I've had certain experiences such as the one you have described except I never experience any pain. I'll be having a lucid dream and will awake in my dream and can't move but I'm obviously still sleeping. The reason, I believe, that I can't move is because something is holding me down and no matter how much I fight it I still can't move. My whole body feels as if it is vibrating and I hear a high pitch frequency in my ears.

However, I must mention that on a couple occasions I'll just be laying there just a few minutes in bed and might hear something in my house whether it be a creak or some abnormal noise and I try to get up to investigate it and as I'm making my way out of bed I feel as if something is trying to take over my body.

Now, I can distinguish the difference between the two because I have actually experienced sleep paralysis before. One night I woke up and all I could do was move my eyes. I couldn't move my body but nothing else was happening such as "vibrating" or high pitch frequencies so I do believe that you may have been experiencing something more than SP such as paranormal.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I usually call that experience "sleep paralysis" for lack of a better definition. It involves ridiculously freaky noises, low frequency noises, high pitched static, images, the rushing of wind, massively intense vibrations etc.

I've no idea what to call that, but I can break out of it fairly easy. It kinda feels like my brain is expanding. Hell, I even swear the one time I did have this happen, my brain popped, fizzed and leaked all throughout my body.

But eh, I like to call it the "gateway stage". This is where you can try to have the OOBEs. I've only had a couple of successful ones, though.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well, I dunno about you, homeboy, but for me dreams can initiate the sleep paralysis episodes. There's a big difference between having a dream and sleep paralysis. Dreams can leave you with vivid feelings, but they're not physical whatsoever. Sleep paralysis is a stage where you can physicaly feel sensations, and you're alert to the situation. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but you can go ahead and laugh at everyone labeling this as a sleep paralysis episode. You're only laughing at the truth, though.

I agree that there is a big difference between having a dream and SP. I also agree that dreams can leave you with vivid feeling, but they're not physical whatsoever. I agree that SP is a stage where you can physically feel sensations, and you're alert to the situation. I do know this already and that's exactly what I said in my post.

What you seem to be dismissing is the part where OP says she was DREAMING. Normally when one is having a SP episode they don't think they are dreaming. Would you agree? Normally when one is having a SP episode they think they are awake and do not think they are dreaming which is what makes it so scary. Would you agree? The fact that dreaming leaves you with a vivid feeling but they’re not physical whatsoever is the reason people normally do not think they are dreaming when they have a SP episode.

Op states EIGHT TIMES that she was dreaming:

I dreamed I was in a mansion

It was like a dream that mirrored reality

In the dream I knew I was alone

I had dreamed that I checked all the locks

As I was trying to go to sleep in my dream

I wanted to wake up

I woke up and went on about my day

the dreams were different

She thinks she was dreaming or she wouldn’t have described it that way. Who am I to say that she wasn’t dreaming… she was there, I was not. She felt it, I did not. Neither did you. I was going from what the person who experienced it said, as far as your “truth” that this was definitely a SP episode, how in the world do you know for sure? You don’t, neither do I.

As far as being physical is concerned, have you ever had a dream that you could not scream when you needed to? Or, where you were frozen because of fear? I have and it was just a dream. Sometimes we read physicality into our dreams.

but it was not painful it was very erotic and pleasurable

But it was not painful

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hokay, point taken.

I just see a crapload of these stories and usually just always slam paralysis on the experience, to be honest. It's just the body locking up experience resembles that of paralysis, so it sounds as if she may have had it while dreaming. Usually when you're in a dream you're not alert enough to want yourself to move most of the time. Even if lucid. That's the only reason why I thought I'd call it paralysis.

Still though, I really need to learn to not act like a total prick if someone's disagreeing with me on something that I really didn't experience. So I must apologise for that.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I have tried every prescription product on the market for insomnia and none of them worked; my cousin referred me to the web site narcomundo.com there I purchased a package of Somatize. I tried one serving and I was a sleep in 20 minutes and after using it for 3 nights I did not need it anymore. I am not joking!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I have sleep paralysis all the time. I would say three days out of the week. I can't move, and I see a big black blob in front of me and it takes shapes. It use to frighten me but now I am so use to it that when it happens I just wait it out. =)

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen
In Iceland folk culture sleep paralysis is generally called having a "Mara". A goblin or a succubus (since it is generally female) believed to cause nightmares (the origin of the word 'Nightmare' itself is derived from her name). Other European cultures share variants of the same folklore, calling her under different names;

en.wikipedia.org...

An incubus is the male equivalent.

en.wikipedia.org...

See this is the thing... I've never ascribed any gender to the little gray creature that comes to me during sleep paralysis. Maybe male... but definitely not female.

One thing I do notice during SP which makes me believe it's not just an illusion is that all artificial lights which are on during the process actually cast a shadow, while the only light I can actually see is natural light coming from a moon.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
OP, I've had a fair bit of practice with semi-lucid, lucid & OOBE states. It sounds to me like a semi-lucid dream. IME, SP happens when you are still awake or on waking, although it can confuse me sometimes by happening after a 'false awakening' dream.
That said, I wouldn't dismiss the paranormal angle either. In that 1/2 way stage, the 'inhibitors' that our ego creates to keep us in this familiar reality aren't working as usual. This is the most likely time for us to accidentally make contact with a non-corporeal entity.
I suppose a devout christian would call them angels or demons. We cant know their motivations tho, what we can experience of other realms is mediated for us by the ego. How can we say 'good' or 'evil' when even up & down are irrelevant? It always struck me to wonder how wierd it must be for them too, to make contact with a being from another type of existance?
If it were just a feeling that someone or something was there, I'd probably err on the sceptical side, but what you describe is quite prolonged for a random encounter. I'd say it was real. Incubus? I dont believe they exist as described in christian texts. Its just as likely to have been a living person having an OOBE...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
OP, I've had a fair bit of practice with semi-lucid, lucid & OOBE states. It sounds to me like a semi-lucid dream. IME, SP happens when you are still awake or on waking, although it can confuse me sometimes by happening after a 'false awakening' dream.
That said, I wouldn't dismiss the paranormal angle either. In that 1/2 way stage, the 'inhibitors' that our ego creates to keep us in this familiar reality aren't working as usual. This is the most likely time for us to accidentally make contact with a non-corporeal entity.
I suppose a devout christian would call them angels or demons. We cant know their motivations tho, what we can experience of other realms is mediated for us by the ego. How can we say 'good' or 'evil' when even up & down are irrelevant? It always struck me to wonder how wierd it must be for them too, to make contact with a being from another type of existance?
If it were just a feeling that someone or something was there, I'd probably err on the sceptical side, but what you describe is quite prolonged for a random encounter. I'd say it was real. Incubus? I dont believe they exist as described in christian texts. Its just as likely to have been a living person having an OOBE...

Yes I can say it was like a semi-lucid dream, Something was defenantly there the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I do not believe in encounters per-say I do believe in demons and angels. What ever it was I did not like it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

What ever it was I did not like it.
Did it feel malevolent? Or was it unpleasant because you couldn't move, or just because it was so strange?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum

What ever it was I did not like it.
Did it feel malevolent? Or was it unpleasant because you couldn't move, or just because it was so strange?

I did not like the inability to move and hearing the footsteps and having the hair raise knowing someone or something was there. Not being able to move was scary to me, I like to be in control and I felt vey volnerable.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Melissa101]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Yeah, well I can certainly understand that! Still, it didn't hurt you, so perhaps if it comes back, you'll be better prepared & not freak out so much. It's the struggling that gets the adrenalin going, which in 1 way is good, because we wake, but we also then miss out on a new, & for most, rare experience.
Also, the control we are used to exercising is mainly an illusion.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
A few weeks ago i fell asleep while on a long car trip but when i woke up i couldnt move. I could feel everything but i couldnt move my arms or legs. I had this huge glob of spit just hanging from my lip and i was in a full car so I was trying to reach up with my arm to keep it from falling on my but i couldnt. Quite a weird feeling not being able to move. I Imagine it must feel similar for people who are paralyzed

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I didn't know where else to post this but I remember specifically the first time I had sleep paralysis(at least I think it was SP), anyways I was 8 years old and woke up in the middle of the night and was not able to move. I was able to see and hear but could not move my body. I remember slowly trying to peel myself off of my bed but there was something that kept pushing me down. It didn't feel like hands on my back pushing me down, but rather some sort of energy. I ended up slowly being pulled down to the ground right next to my nightstand and as I was being pulled down my vision started to blur and I was unable to see out of my peripheral vision. I remember trying to yell for my mom but was unable to produce any sound! The next thing I remember is waking up in my bed and being completely petrified.

Now since then I have had at least a couple episodes every year where I wake up in the night and am unable to move or speak but nothing as intense as that first time.

Rewind to early this morning and I remember waking up because I heard music being played next to the door of my room as if there was a speaker in the door. It wasn't completely pitch black because the smoke detector has a bright green light on it so I was able to see somewhat. Anyways, I ended up walking over towards to door to figure out where this music was coming from. As soon as I got close to the door to figure out where it was coming from, my vision began to blur and I started to be pulled down to the ground! Once again, it did not feel like hands pulling me down but something else. At this point my heart was racing because I didn't know what was going on. I remember laying on the ground, feeling like I was pinned to it, and trying to yell for my boyfriend to come help me but I was not able to speak! I woke up in my bed right after that still trying to struggle to move and trying to yell for my boyfriend. I was terrified. I know for a fact that I was awake, alert, and walking in my room. There is no way that was a dream.

Has anyone else had these kind of experiences or know anything about them? Any help or advice?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
^^^ Does anyone have any advice?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Firepower

Its not sleep paralysis and I am a medical doctor. Its a demonic attack.

Wow, That's an incredibly bold statement isn't it?
I'm kind of surprised someone can just spread that kind of fear onto someone else just like that but whatever. :shk:

Anyway No to me it sounds alot like Hypnopompic Hallucinatory Sleep Paralysis meaning sleep paralysis that you woke up into.
HSP itself is relatively rare but it is frightening when it does occur to people which is most certainly does.
I suggest you read up a little bit more on HSP but it does happen t people and what you’ve described in your OP and previous posts it does sound to me at least like that’s what it could be.
It’s nothing to worry about as well but it leaves a sufferer with incredibly real looking hallucinations that include sensing someone else in the room with you (most of the time a evil presence) footsteps, sometimes even seeing shadows to figures etc.

Now I’m not saying this is exactly what is happening to you or what you experienced but it’s worth looking into further but only you can really decide what it is in all honesty, Not us.

These might be worth looking into....and if it works then Great!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join