It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terraforming- NOT THE WAY!!! the shameless part 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I'm back, with nothing great to do except make a sequel/sequal to one of my old threads.

I was wondering, if we DID manage to terraform other worlds to make them suitable for our species to continue living, would we really care about how we treated them? Like, say we moved to Mars, would we be all precious about it knowing that anywhere is a potential home? And please, if you do reply, don't say 'Well yes we would because we'll have learnt from our mistakes on Earth', because I don't think that's in our nature as a species; especially when it gets to the stage when those born on Earth have all died and we're left with a generation that take terraforming for granted. I was just thinking about that, I would very much like to hear the thoughts of others on this rehashed subject? Thankyou

Ramadwarf on spoilt terraformers

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
We would not care. I think you answered your own question when you told us

"And please, if you do reply, don't say 'Well yes we would because we'll have learnt from our mistakes on Earth', because I don't think that's in our nature as a species"

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CowboyDrifter

I thought so.

And I said so.

I suppose asking you, CowboyDrifter, why you think that we would not care would be pretty pointless of me right? Do you think that there may be some glimmer of hope for the universe though? Or is it just hopeless? like I think it is?

Ramadwarf on the human epidemic

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Depends if we invent inter-galactic travel by then. If we don't, eventually we'll run out of planets to terraform in our solar system O:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well I don't understand how that could be here nor there. Once we have been able to figure out how to terraform a planet and moved on to Mars, or some moon after that. we would not need interstellar travel to save ourselves. We would need to remove all people from the previous planet and then terraform it again. So we move to Mars, (all of us) and we live there for 2000 years, Oh look our new planet is in jeopardy, lets move to the next one. and as we do setup the next one we could be setting up earth again. Kind of resetting the clock. Then oh look now we move to the moon for 2000 years. But after that we can move back to earth and have mars setup and ready for us. We will never again need to worry about climate and we can eat away all the resources of the planet and start mining other worlds. Then and Only then will we need to have interstelar travel in order to find resources, However by then perhaps we have met aliens or we could become like the aliens in independance day and travel the galaxy in a big ship to ravage planets we find that will substain our lives.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shade454

Hmm, that doesn't sound like an inviting situation, but I'm sure people then (in the future) will have found a way to travel in that particular manor; of course, if not, they'll just have to stay on their toes I suppose. Thanks for the post

Ramadwarf on future advancements

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by anubis9311

That's a solution no one could argue with, but what if we find it difficult, risky, or even impossible to terraform our neighbouring planets? How would we survive? We'd HAVE to go around in massive spaceships, raping every planet we came across, for suplies and such, wouldn't we? Unless of course we just trapsed around the universe, in spaceships, looking for a suitable home, I would imagine.
Thankyou for the post

Ramadwarf on massive ships and flying them

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramadwarf Philes

Its hopeless. The people dont care about anything but themselves. Its just how the world works IMO. If we did terraform it would probably be for resources on the planet itself. After the Mining/Gov corporations get done they will move on destroying the next planet.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Why should we care about what happens to a planet that was a dead, mostly airless rock before we came upon it? That's still worse for us than it would be when we would no longer be able to live on it. It should be pretty obvious that life in general is a hardier sort than human beings in specific; stuff will live on in far worse conditions than we can.

The easiest way to go about things is to live entirely in space. Planets have resources, sure, but they're incredibly hard to get to. You need to mine through billions of tons of relatively useless crap like basalts and silicates to get anything we need. Asteroids and comets are much more resource-dense and a lot easier to manhandle to wherever we want them to be.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Terraforming is completely acceptable if you look at the universe as expanding and being perpetual.

Ideal terraforming would be as carefully done as possible. Preferably with a small force arriving to make sure the planet isn't raped and plundered but managed carefully. Extraction of valuable resources starts etc.

After the forward base is set up the main force of colonists arrive. From there you build up arcologies (massive, self-contained living areas) which mean you don't have a sprawl of buildings spread out everywhere. Then you have your industry gathering the resources.

As each planet and solar system is used properly another one will be available and there for us to use.

Earth is a mess from a planetary point-of-view because there are either too many people living here OR the resources and land space isn't being used correctly...
I believe that if you terraform a planet it should be done only if the previous planet you've left is completely or nearly abandoned. That means you've not got the mill-stone of sending supplies back to the home planet all the time.
I think that this is possibly what an alien race would do if it travelled around en-mass.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by WatchRider]

top topics

join