It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The...hic... most annoying..hic..thing....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How do you get rid of the hic-ups?

Had them several times in the last days, if I had them once, I'll have them for sure again soon after.
Besides holding my breath for as long as I can... what are you tricks to cure the hic-ups?

[edit on 8/11/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A teaspoon of sugar is what I use.
Sounds gross but it works.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

What always works for me is taking something really sour, like lemon juice, or a really sour candy.

Now this work's for me but not everyone, same as all the other "cures".

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If you do this I PROMISE it will work. It has never failed anyone I have made do it before. Having said that, its kinda difficult.

Get a glass of water. Take a deep breath and fill your mouth with water. Immediately put your thumbs in your ears and your pinky fingers against your nostrils, cutting off air to both. Swallow 10 times (the water will go fast so try to swallow only a little at a time, or the end will be rough).

I'm serious.. It sounds crazy but it works.

The problem with holding your breath is that air is still freely moving through your sinuses. If you shut down all other outlets for air you are sure to kill the hiccups.

I always said hiccups were your body's natural response to try to expand your stomach. Everyone says I'm wrong but I don't see what else swallowing air would do.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This always works for me:

Try to take as deep a breath as you can. If you hiccup while taking the breath, start over. When you finally get your lungs full of air, without hiccuping, hold your breath for 10 seconds, then either drink some water or just force yourself to swallow. Breathe out and and feel the relief of no hiccups.

I don't know why, but that cures it every time.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Saidin]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Seems everyone has a trick that works. We simply do this. suck in as much air as you can, hold it, and start sucking in a little at a time like your sucking through a straw. You feel like your lungs are gonna pop but you do this for a minute and it stops the hiccups.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I always heard, and never tried, that a teaspoon swallowing a teaspoon of vinegar is supposed to get rid of the hiccups. But, you probably will not always have a handy bottle of vinager, or not want to drink it at all.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
My brother taught me to 'psyche out' my diaphragm.

To do that, start breathing erratically. One BIG breath in, hold it, exhale. Three QUICK breaths in, exhale immediately.

Continue the process doing all sorts of different breathing levels and styles. Deep, medium, shallow. Quick vs. long. Hold breath vs.exhale immediately. One solid breath before an exhale vs. multiple breaths taking in more air each time before exhaling.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Drink water backwards. Instead of drinking from the side of the cup facing you, drink from the other side of the cup (which positions your chin basically inside of the cup) and bend forward until you can drink. (I like to do this over the sink or a surface that doesn't suffer from getting a little wet from the spillage.)

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
wow, so many different ways

Like I said, I'm sure to have the hiccups again the next days so I'll try them all out
Except for the vinegar, sory ShadowLight, but that's just grose! lol

thanks for the tips and tricks guys

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
When I was working as a cook, one of the waitstaff came up to me with a serious case of the hiccups. I told her I would help her in a minute, I went back in the kitchen, called up her daughter, (who was this hot red head) and I told her to tell her mom I got her pregnant.

I told the waitress that she had a phone call. The daughter told her mom that I got her pregnant. Blammo! Hiccups cured!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

did you want to stop her hiccups?
Or give the poor women a heart attack?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Gypsk, you have to do all of the above at the same time and then you will not only cure your hiccups, but have a free trip to the emergency dept at the same time.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry that your pregnant and will be there to support you all the way.
:shk:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

It worked

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I'm not pregnant, don't spread rumours!

Of course, now that I have all these cures, I didn't have the hiccups again in the last 20 hours, YAY ME!
but I'll keep this thread bookmarked for future hiccups

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I suck in as much air as I possibly can and hold it as long as I can. I'll do it ten times if I have to, it always works.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

didn't have more hiccups, but I passed them on to my poor kid today, lol

wel anyway, I let her do what you described and it worked

I'll try it myeself as well next time
thanks for the tip

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Yes I do know how to get rid of hiccups.You put bitters on a piece of lime and eat it.It works instantly.
edit on 18-11-2011 by 616pitbull because: mistake

top topics

join