It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The opposite of stars and flags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I know that the S&F's give you rewards, but is there any way other than hitting the ignore button to show a poster that their post is A) way out of line, B) obvious fear-mongering, or C) just plain inane babble? Give them an "onion" or a piece of coal?

Of course there wouldn't be any rewards associated with this rating, but maybe it can show up on their profile?

Just a thought!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolliek
I know that the S&F's give you rewards, but is there any way other than hitting the ignore button to show a poster that their post is A) way out of line, B) obvious fear-mongering, or C) just plain inane babble? Give them an "onion" or a piece of coal?

Of course there wouldn't be any rewards associated with this rating, but maybe it can show up on their profile?

Just a thought!

What you are looking for is a means to show negativity or disagreement without actually having to say it.

I often think the same thing but... in all, I also come around and realize that it is better to just leave those things to time and fate than apply a personal measure to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

You can always make them a foe and send them a u2u that they are not a respected foe but a direspected foe instead.
Personally I get a kick out of people foeing me.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

A) way out of line,
Hit the alert button

B) obvious fear-mongering,
Who are you to say?
For all you know, it could be right on the money, unless you have a gift which lets you see into the future

C) just plain inane babble?
Then show why you think that.
Prove them wrong using logic, proof and eloquent discourse.

That's why it's called a discussion board, and why we pride ourselves on the level of discourse and reasoned debate.

You also have the option of not reading something if you don't like it.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
When I first joined there were a couple users I thought were posting insane babble. I have since changed my mind. What may seem completely off topic at first can even upon further reflection be totally relevant. Ask them to clarify.

edit:grammar

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by Lolliek

You can always make them a foe and send them a u2u that they are not a respected foe but a direspected foe instead.
Personally I get a kick out of people foeing me.

This is the single best place on the web to speak about subjects that are not spoken about anywhere else.

Making anyone your foe... for the enjoyment of it, defeats the purpose of this website, and I personally want no part of it.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolliek

Just a thought!

A) If a post breaks T&C, hit the alert button on that post for staff to review

B) "obvious fear-mongering" is in the eye of the beholder, er, reader (see "D" below)

C) "inane babble" is in the eye of the beholder, er, reader. But if its off-topic, or in any language other than English, or in text speak, or just a bunch of letters probably typed by a toddler, please hit the alert button

D) if you dont agree with a response, debate them in a mature manner and bring forth some evidence to back up your stance (see "B" above)

E) If none of the above applies, either hit "ignore" on their mini profile or just move on to another post/thread

*GEL*

[edit on November 7th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Isn't that what I just said?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Care to clarify your thoughts on these users posting insane babble
and what can be done about them? Thanks!
Killin's too good for 'em.
Burnin's too good for 'em!
And, ya I'm kidding around wif ya!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
What you are looking for is a means to show negativity or disagreement without actually having to say it.

Yeah, really, huh. Lol.

I've notice people often get upset about various posts for generally 1 of 2 reasons. The first is simply because they do not agree with the OPs position. The second is often because the OP has said something that your conscience might not want to hear about. The latter sure seems to be on the increase lately. I myself have a habit of often saying things that others don't want to hear about ("You're killing the planet with your lifestyles, people!")

Would be nice thought to have an indicator that would reflect the percentage of those that agree or disagree. (i.e. a thread entitled "Solution: Global Population Reduction" could have an indicator reflecting those that agree or disagree with the OP) Such an indicator would give you an immediate idea of where majority stand on these positions.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Yeah, really, huh. Lol.

A long time ago back when all this was relatively new... I learned that we are first and always at a disadvantage because... aside from the written word, we really don't have a lot to go on.

Today, we pass judgment on people by just that... the written word, far less those things that in a face to face meeting - facial expressions, body language, voice inflections...that we use to genuinely understand what is being said.

Laugh it off as you will, that is your right...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

For one stars and flags do not give you "rewards" so to speak(although it can be somewhat of a pride issue). Flags are used for members to alert a thread that they feel is important so it does not get lost behind the other, less 'important' threads. The more flags means the more important our community feel that particular thread is.

Stars on the other hand are a way for members to either agree with a post, show a "thank you" for a post or thread, or to giver their support for a members post or thread in an anonymous manner. A lot of times flags and stars go hand in hand. For thread is in example; you will flag it because it is important, but also star it because it is well presented. There are many, including me that may either flag or star, but not both a thread depending on the situation. Stars have also been called "member applause".

The real "rewards" are staff applause, which come from mods or FSMEs. Those you get 500 points for and generally the more you have the more respected you are amongst our peers. Especially with the "applause tag" in our profiles now. Really though the real reward should be the good feeling of positively contributing to our great community, of course all the flags, stars, and applause make us feel nice, but in the end all that matters is the intent and outcome of ones post or thread.

As far as the other questions in this thread they've already been answered, I just wanted to touch on the star and flag aspect.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i would kind of like to see a negative rating system too.

i come across posts that get like 15 stars in reference to a news article or something...and its clear that the poster has not even read the article and just ranted on the subject in general.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

Hey there Lolliek,
I was thinking the very same thing after I read every post in the 51 page thread about Ft Hood. It was a brilliant thread initially but there are a couple of posters on there (one in particular) who is like a dog with a bone ... they just keep repeating the same thing post after post and continue to do so even when it's pointed out that this is unproductive and not specific to the initial point of the thread

... very frustrating !!!

Besides that individual case, I think it would bring balance to the boards ... if there is a way to praise ... there should be a way to critisize without having to wade through dozens of posts from members all thinking the same thing.

Woody

new topics

top topics

join