It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The business of fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The business of fear

money.ca.msn.com

It's the same dynamic that prompts us to spend all kinds of money to scare ourselves sick on roller coasters and at slasher movies. And it's the same contradiction that underpins a big chunk of our economy.

How else do you explain the celebrity status of pundits like Nouriel Roubini, Tad Homer-Dixon and Jeff Rubin who've built their careers on predicting that the worst is always yet to come.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hmm. The fear mongering is SOOO blatant, they have no choice but to acknowledge it. I'm not sure if I feel glad that someone is reporting it, or ..if it's just another play for ratings and money.

Imagine how much money and ratings the REAL truths would bring in. Wonder if that cash cow will ever be fed.
And how long that trend would last.

Either way, mixed feelings for me on this report.

money.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The fact is that peoples fears are played upon and then a solution is offered at a cost. A perfect example of this is when people make donations to churches, born out of the fear of going to hell.
The governments of the world and msm are also experts at fear mongering. Working together to push the sheeple in the direction they want, most of the time its bent over a table with your pants down.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by assteroid

The reason this story stood out is because it was surrounded by H1N1 stories.
And I think that was the point of the original reporter.

The media DO have a responsibility to report what they are told to report. But in their attempt to remain "UNBIASED" they forget to use common sense and see the outcome of what they are told to report. They just keep feeding the panic, and the subjects of the stories know this. They sometimes use the unbiased reporting as a tool to manipulate how the news is reported.

Perfect example. The WHO (World Health Organization) release only certain things at first. The media has NO choice but to report, "unbiasedly". So they can sort of control the information in a "staged" panic, to send people running for the shot. Which someone is getting paid to make.

Does this make sense:

"The H1N1 strikes 18-25 year olds hardest. Even healthy ones"

Then report

"Clinics are coming!!"

Then report

"The first people to get the shot aren't the hardest hit, in fact that group will be last to get them"

Then report

"There MAY be a shortage of the vaccine".

Way to feed panic, there media. Not even say, that more people than not ARE recovering from this flu. haha. I don't know. It's all about the money.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

So they can sort of control the information in a "staged" panic, to send people running for the shot. Which someone is getting paid to make.

Spot on mate. I for one aren't going to be panicked into getting the shot, unfortunately I know a lot who will be. As long as people fall for these kind of things, the more these things will happen.

new topics

top topics

join