It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just wow look at them swarming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Now how intelligent is this.

bird swarming

I hope you find is fascinating, because I sure do.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by krystalice

That is truly amazing! And to think not any of them collide with each other and fall out. One can only wonder what is going through their little minds when swarming like that.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
That is a beautiful example of group mind/hive soul in action. I could watch that for hours!

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Truly breathtaking.

Thank you for sharing this.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow, truly amazing! Birds are so awesome.

I live on the Monterey Bay and where now not so much, but in reading accounts of the early settlers here in The Ohlone Way, the sea birds were described as being 'like a hurricane' when they took off from the water.

The Shearwaters still swarm like this, but they are pelagic so it's hard to spot them unless you're way out on the water. Also, Alfred Hitchcock's, The Birds was based on a night here in Santa Cruz when the Shearwaters lost their sense of direction and were swarming over land and smashing into houses and cars. Must have been a sight to see then!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Awesome vid - thanks for posting that one.

There a good link below examining the science of the bird-swarm (and some nice pics
)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81a80cc7a05b.jpg[/atsimg]
files.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a42389cb21a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ac641db3caa.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f9e105e7a3d.jpg[/atsimg]
www.belowtopsecret.com...

The Science of a Bird Swarm

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow, just wow! amazing video thank you for posting this. It is fall here in Canada and the Canada Geese have begun their annual trips south. Although nothing like the video or swarming, I do enjoy watching these large birds flying in perfect V formation. To think that collectively they just know what to do and when to do it. Nature is a wonder.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Hey there krystalalice,

That is just spectacular I would love to see something like that in the flesh ... I've only ever seen smaller versions when crows and rooks are returning to the nearby rookery.

Amazing. Thanks. Woody

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Those pics make me imagine being right there in the middle of it. A sight to behold for sure.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

Not only that they take turns being the lead bird. So if you get to watch them long enough, you will see the leader drop back and one from the back move up systematically. The leader has to work harder to break the wind shear so they take turns at point. And somehow they manage to switch out at the same time. Pretty fascinating if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Ive always found it quite stunning that even the smallest bugs have enough intelligence to not fly into objects and so on. Their brains are microscopic but they still make decisions... ive never seen a animal who doesnt know how to take in their surroundings and determine what is dangerous, no matter how small.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is something that greatly fascinates me. Not just birds, similar behavior is also observed elsewhere in nature, such as large schools of fish, swimming underwater.

I wonder if the concept could be applied, in future to the development of self-driven cars.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hi weathernut.

Originally posted by weathernutwonder if the concept could be applied, in future to the development of self-driven cars.

If any wants to see a similar thing, in maths and science,
do a search with [ FRACTALS "strange attractor" ]

us2.ixquick.com...

sprott.physics.wisc.edu...

EDIT to correct and add words.

Blue skies.

[edit on 2009/11/7 by C-JEAN]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Think this a great exsample of nature all being one.

amazing footage.

G

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
What strikes me sometimes, is when some people underestimate the intelligence and nature of our very own creatures that we have built our technological foundations upon.

The creatures such as swarm of birds, locust of ants and so forth are an continuous every day empirical Artificial Intelligence research and method used in variety of fields; civil, medical, physics, space, astronomy and many more to list.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

thank you for that

as someone else mentioned - I could watch that for hours

I probably will

:-)

top topics

join